Longs Drugs?

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Longs Drugs?

Post by rwsandiego »

SoCalShopper1023 wrote: March 1st, 2018, 3:02 pm
lola42 wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:41 am Several of the comments in this forum bring up an interesting point - If an acquiring company keeps the original banner name (Longs) but then adds a bunch of parent company paraphernalia (CVS/Target cash registers, packaging, etc), doesn't the customer see through all this? I've always thought acquiring companies should be more mindful to keep as much of the parent company logo out of visibility of the customer as possible.
That's something I've always wondered too.

Safeway (pre-Albertsons) did the same thing, there was pretty much no differentiation between a Vons/Pavilions and a Safeway. All stores were pretty much Safeway in every way possible: Lifestyle decor, Safeway systems, Safeway private label (Safeway Select, Safeway Kitchens, etc).

Kroger does the same, but to a certain extent. They use the same "Kroger brand" private label, but they change the logo on the packaging to reflect the name of the Kroger banner that it's being sold at (Ralphs, Smiths, Frys, etc). Also if the banner they acquire is in a better position than their main Kroger stores, they leave it untouched as long as its working (Harris Teeter for example).
Actually, Kroger uses the Kroger name on private-label products at Ralphs and Fry's, except for Private Selection, Simple Truth, bread (Van De Kamp's at Ralphs and Fry's at Fry's), and some dairy.
SoCalShopper1023 wrote: March 1st, 2018, 3:02 pmI guess the reason why retailers are able to get away with doing this, is simply because the average consumer isn't "retail savvy" like us in these forums. When they walk into a Longs Drugs they don't notice the CVS systems, or any CVS style signage/promotions. Many of them might not even know CVS owns Longs Drugs now. As long as the sign outside says "Longs Drugs", it's the same old Longs Drugs they've been shopping at for many years.
I think it is more that the shoppers simply don't care what the private label says as long as the product inside is comparable to what they have become accustomed to buying. When Safeway bought Dominick's they kept the Dominick's name on private label, but dropped the popular "Italian Classics" line and replaced it with "Safeway Select," which shoppers simply did not like. In Southern California, where CVS bought SavOn and Longs, and changed the name and the feel of the stores in the process, it felt like business tanked. In Hawaii, the Long's stores are the same as they always have been. It makes a difference.
Super S

Post by Super S »

lola42 wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:41 am Several of the comments in this forum bring up an interesting point - If an acquiring company keeps the original banner name (Longs) but then adds a bunch of parent company paraphernalia (CVS/Target cash registers, packaging, etc), doesn't the customer see through all this? I've always thought acquiring companies should be more mindful to keep as much of the parent company logo out of visibility of the customer as possible.

Safeway (pre-Albertsons) did the same thing, there was pretty much no differentiation between a Vons/Pavilions and a Safeway. All stores were pretty much Safeway in every way possible: Lifestyle decor, Safeway systems, Safeway private label (Safeway Select, Safeway Kitchens, etc).

Kroger does the same, but to a certain extent. They use the same "Kroger brand" private label, but they change the logo on the packaging to reflect the name of the Kroger banner that it's being sold at (Ralphs, Smiths, Frys, etc). Also if the banner they acquire is in a better position than their main Kroger stores, they leave it untouched as long as its working (Harris Teeter for example).

I guess the reason why retailers are able to get away with doing this, is simply because the average consumer isn't "retail savvy" like us in these forums. When they walk into a Longs Drugs they don't notice the CVS systems, or any CVS style signage/promotions. Many of them might not even know CVS owns Longs Drugs now. As long as the sign outside says "Longs Drugs", it's the same old Longs Drugs they've been shopping at for many years.
More recently, at least with Fred Meyer, Kroger has been gradually shifting the private label from the Fred Meyer brand to the Kroger brand. I am not sure if this is the case with the other Kroger chains, but Fred Meyer at first went to the updated current Kroger packaging with the Fred Meyer logo, but moved the same packages to the Kroger logo as time went on. Not sure what they have done at QFC though.

I think a lot has to do with the reputation of a grocer's private label program. Kroger tends to have a good reputation in that area and they stand behind those products.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:09 am

I guess the reason why retailers are able to get away with doing this, is simply because the average consumer isn't "retail savvy" like us in these forums. When they walk into a Longs Drugs they don't notice the CVS systems, or any CVS style signage/promotions. Many of them might not even know CVS owns Longs Drugs now. As long as the sign outside says "Longs Drugs", it's the same old Longs Drugs they've been shopping at for many years.
More recently, at least with Fred Meyer, Kroger has been gradually shifting the private label from the Fred Meyer brand to the Kroger brand. I am not sure if this is the case with the other Kroger chains, but Fred Meyer at first went to the updated current Kroger packaging with the Fred Meyer logo, but moved the same packages to the Kroger logo as time went on. Not sure what they have done at QFC though.

I think a lot has to do with the reputation of a grocer's private label program. Kroger tends to have a good reputation in that area and they stand behind those products.
The Kroger brand has been in use at Ralphs for several years. I've only lived in Arizona for a year, so I can't speak to how long Fry's has used Kroger as its house brand. Fry's does, however, use Fry's as its brand on eggs and bread. I don't buy milk, so can't speak to that.