Thrifty Ice Cream Packaging

greenfalcon
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Thrifty Ice Cream Packaging

Post by greenfalcon »

It appears that RAD is phasing in new packaging for Thrifty Ice Cream out west. Still produced by Thrifty Payless, Inc.

storewanderer

Re: Thrifty Ice Cream Packaging

Post by storewanderer »

They are in the process of expanding distribution of Thrifty Ice Cream. It will be in all of the OR/WA Stores. Previously it was in some limited OR/WA Stores.

I think it will also be in all of the ID Stores.

Funny to see the older pre 1995 Thrifty logo back with a bit skinnier font and reversed colors.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Thrifty Ice Cream is now being sold at select Rite Aid stores in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. Eight flavors are being sold.

Of course, you can find Thrifty Ice Cream at gas stations in California. I have seen hand scooped cones offered at a 76 Station. I also saw Thrifty Ice Cream at the Cardenas Markets chain.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 5th, 2019, 6:31 pm Thrifty Ice Cream is now being sold at select Rite Aid stores in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. Eight flavors are being sold.

Of course, you can find Thrifty Ice Cream at gas stations in California. I have seen hand scooped cones offered at a 76 Station. I also saw Thrifty Ice Cream at the Cardenas Markets chain.
Same for gas stations in Las Vegas and in Arizona. I've also seen Thrifty Ice Cream at Seafood City and Smart & Final. It seems to be gone from both of those at this time.

https://www.riteaid.com/thrifty

I am surprised the Black Cherry did not make the cut. I guess the 8 flavors they are distributing are the most popular ones. I can see that. The chocolate malted is a pretty good unique flavor.

What is funny about their store locator is that the private Rite Aid in Gardnerville, NV is not showing as a location that sells Thrifty Ice Cream. Yet they sell it and have been selling it since about 1997 when Payless installed a few freezer cases near the former photo area. I call it the private Rite Aid because it rarely has more than a couple customers and is always perfectly stocked. But it has gotten 2 major remodels by Rite Aid so it must do okay.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: June 29th, 2019, 11:59 pm They are in the process of expanding distribution of Thrifty Ice Cream. It will be in all of the OR/WA Stores. Previously it was in some limited OR/WA Stores.

Funny to see the older pre 1995 Thrifty logo back with a bit skinnier font and reversed colors.
In California, Thrifty Ice Cream has been offered continuously since Rite Aid took over. In places like Washington and Oregon, (with a few exceptions) the Thrifty name, along with the ice cream, pretty much disappeared 20+ years ago as the stores were rebranded, with most losing ice cream counters in the process. I don't think of Rite Aid (or Walgreens for that matter) as a place to buy ice cream. I do see potential though when you consider how many people are moving from California to Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: July 6th, 2019, 6:53 am
storewanderer wrote: June 29th, 2019, 11:59 pm They are in the process of expanding distribution of Thrifty Ice Cream. It will be in all of the OR/WA Stores. Previously it was in some limited OR/WA Stores.

In California, Thrifty Ice Cream has been offered continuously since Rite Aid took over. In places like Washington and Oregon, (with a few exceptions) the Thrifty name, along with the ice cream, pretty much disappeared 20+ years ago as the stores were rebranded, with most losing ice cream counters in the process. I don't think of Rite Aid (or Walgreens for that matter) as a place to buy ice cream. I do see potential though when you consider how many people are moving from California to Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
I wonder if the Thrifty Ice Cream was sold in OR/WA or if it was some other vendor's ice cream. Back in the 80's when Thrifty was in Reno they had an ice cream counter but it sold Model Dairy ice cream. The stores did have walk in freezers in back though, for ice cream storage. Also the Thrifty Stores in Quincy, CA and Mt. Shasta, CA were the same way; they had ice cream counters but sold some other dairy's ice cream. None of these stores had the freezers for frozen prepack ice cream. It wasn't until Rite Aid took over that those rural California stores started to sell the actual Thrifty Ice Cream. But the stores down in Sacramento had the actual Thrifty Ice Cream.

They won't install the service counters in these other states but just offer the prepack ice cream. The Rite Aid I saw in Oregon with this stuff years ago in Hillsboro (24 hour one if it is still 24 hours) had more than 8 flavors though.

Ice cream has a pretty long shelf life so they shouldn't have too much trouble with this even if they sell a minimal amount of it by way of buy one get one free sales, etc. Walgreens has had private label ice cream forever (seems to have been scaled back some over the years) too.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: July 6th, 2019, 10:02 am
Super S wrote: July 6th, 2019, 6:53 am

I wonder if the Thrifty Ice Cream was sold in OR/WA or if it was some other vendor's ice cream. Back in the 80's when Thrifty was in Reno they had an ice cream counter but it sold Model Dairy ice cream. The stores did have walk in freezers in back though, for ice cream storage. Also the Thrifty Stores in Quincy, CA and Mt. Shasta, CA were the same way; they had ice cream counters but sold some other dairy's ice cream. None of these stores had the freezers for frozen prepack ice cream. It wasn't until Rite Aid took over that those rural California stores started to sell the actual Thrifty Ice Cream. But the stores down in Sacramento had the actual Thrifty Ice Cream.

They won't install the service counters in these other states but just offer the prepack ice cream. The Rite Aid I saw in Oregon with this stuff years ago in Hillsboro (24 hour one if it is still 24 hours) had more than 8 flavors though.

Ice cream has a pretty long shelf life so they shouldn't have too much trouble with this even if they sell a minimal amount of it by way of buy one get one free sales, etc. Walgreens has had private label ice cream forever (seems to have been scaled back some over the years) too.
There were never any Thrifty stores in OR/WA, at least not in the 90's. I should know, I worked at corporate at the time of the Rite Aid merger. Thrifty did own Pay N Save during the 80s but that's about as close as they came to having stores in the NW. Thrifty ice cream was tested as a prepack in a few NW stores at that time but was never expanded for several reasons. One, ice cream is an incredibly seasonal item, more so than in Southern California, so staffing an ice cream counter was considered uneconomical and an ice cream counter was considered key to success. Second, trucking that stuff up to the NW from California was considered too expensive and ate into the margins. Thrifty Payless was a "thrifty" organization and wouldn't have outsourced this to a distributor.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: July 6th, 2019, 10:32 pm
There were never any Thrifty stores in OR/WA, at least not in the 90's. I should know, I worked at corporate at the time of the Rite Aid merger. Thrifty did own Pay N Save during the 80s but that's about as close as they came to having stores in the NW. Thrifty ice cream was tested as a prepack in a few NW stores at that time but was never expanded for several reasons. One, ice cream is an incredibly seasonal item, more so than in Southern California, so staffing an ice cream counter was considered uneconomical and an ice cream counter was considered key to success. Second, trucking that stuff up to the NW from California was considered too expensive and ate into the margins. Thrifty Payless was a "thrifty" organization and wouldn't have outsourced this to a distributor.
It looks like Thrifty had scattered NW presence long ago. Who knows if they even had the ice cream. https://groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=686

Thrifty closed up shop in Reno around 1993 including a distribution center out in Sparks. One of their final moves was to increase the ice cream scoop price to 59 cents from 35 cents and install new point of sale systems not long before closing (before that they had the loud old mechanical registers with the spinning reels and multiple keys for prices). They kept one store open out in Lemmon Drive (now a CVS who ended up with everyone's drug stores here; we have many smelly old CVS/Longs, 2 CVS/Thrifty, 4 CVS/Skaggs-Osco-Savon, 5 CVS/90's Rite Aid, 3 CVS/actual build by CVS... ugh) a couple years after they closed the rest of the stores here for some reason, but eventually that one closed too, I think at the same time as they closed all of their Las Vegas Stores.
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: July 6th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Thrifty had a store in Kelso, WA up until around 1989 or 1990, which did have an ice cream counter at the front. It was at that point rebranded to a Pay 'N Save, then PayLess, and is now Rite Aid. The store retains the original pharmacy location at the back of the store. Up until the most recent remodel, it also had the original flooring.

I have been told that before it was Thrifty, it was known as Giant T. I moved to the area in 1988 and it was Thrifty at that point.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I saw Thrifty Ice Cream with the old packaging at a Seafood City restaurant the other day for $4.99. They sold 4 different flavors: black cherry, cookies n cream, pineapple, and pistachio. It was probably the best ice cream on sale in the store.