CVS and cutting store hours

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: CVS and cutting store hours

Post by rwsandiego »

In metro Phoenix, 9 of the 14 24-hour CVS stores also have 24-hour pharmacies, while 7 of the 10 24-hour Walgreens have 24-hour pharmacies. We don't have Rite-Aid (or any other pharmacy chains) and none of the supermarkets have 24-hour pharmacies.

Frankly, CVS could save money by shortening the receipts.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The flagship Longs Drugs in Walnut Creek had a 24 hour prescription pharmacy, but CVS reduced the hours after they took over. There is only one 24 hour retail pharmacy in the entire county in Walnut Creek at the 24 Walgreens, but they get robbed all the time. CVS does not operate any 24 prescription pharmacies in this area anymore.

I had no idea about that California liquor law. Now I know why Safeway changed so many store hours to close at 2 AM.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was in another store tonight close to 10 PM and again heard pills being counted and bottled filled behind the closed but fully lit up pharmacy. When this store starts closing at 8 PM next week I really wonder how this will work.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

storewanderer wrote: January 25th, 2020, 12:13 am I was in another store tonight close to 10 PM and again heard pills being counted and bottled filled behind the closed but fully lit up pharmacy. When this store starts closing at 8 PM next week I really wonder how this will work.
Would it be too crazy to think that perhaps CVS is running an overnight pharmacist in an otherwise closed and secured store to keep up with prescription demands whether at that store or pooled to fill prescriptions for other local stores? Running a pharmacist only in an otherwise closed and secure store would keep up with prescription demands but reduce cost of other employees on duty, security, climate control, etc.

Or the pharmacist may be so overworked and behind that they have to keep working to keep up with company demands and job performance requirements.
Justanotheropinion

Post by Justanotheropinion »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 5:14 am Patients safety is at risk. A cashier refills an anti inflammatory drug instead of blood pressure medication and the patient suffers a stroke and dies. Or a cashier sells the wrong type of insulin and the customer goes into a diabetic coma and dies. It is the little things that make a difference when it comes to a licensed pharmacy technician and a minimum wage cashier with no medical training.
There is a reason why you must produce a prescription written out by licensed physician. A pharmacy nor cashier for that matter can just give you whatever medication they deem is suitable. They can't go, oh well you are diabetic here try this insulin after all it is all the same right?! No. A pharmacy is regulated by law and giving an unprescribed medication is a felony!! That is why they don't take forged prescribes even for ibuprofen.

ADMIN NOTE: Edited for content. No personal attacks, please.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Actually, there are 3 types of insulin sold without a prescription at pharmacies. The cashier can sell these without a prescription. That is how medication errors can occur. At a CVS pharmacy the pharmacist can leave the pharmacy for a half hour lunch. During that time a cashier can sell insulin without a pharmacist checking anything.

Also if a person comes to the counter and asks for a refill of a previously picked up medication, the cashier can use the computer to order it and the computer prompts a technician to fill it.

For example, if a patient uses both hydroxyzine and hydralazine the cashier might tell the technician to fill the wrong one. One is for allergic reactions and the other is for blood pressure. The cashier then sells the allergy medication instead of the blood pressure medication. The patient may take it thinking it is a blood pressure medication and then suffer a stroke from high blood pressure. Many customers have poor eyesight or cannot read. If a medication is a refill, no pharmacist consultation is required, so the patient will not be told what the medication is for.

Also, I wonder if CVS will be changing their hours again. Some of their pharmacies started closing at 8 PM due to the pandemic. Will they ever return to closing at 9 PM? Walmart Pharmacies are returning to closing at 9 PM starting July 5.