Drugstore Remodeling

Alpha8472

Drugstore Remodeling

Post by Alpha8472 »

CVS has been aggressively remodeling California stores to their black and white decor. It looks so plain and boring. Rite Aid already remodeled most of their stores to the Wellness decor and it is much nicer looking. I was hoping that they would get rid of the carpet, but they did not. I only know of one CVS store without carpet. That one is the very high foot traffic CVS next to Disneyland. It has tile and the latest black and white decor.

Walgreens has not done anything new for years.

A very large former Thrifty near me was remodeled a few years ago by Rite Aid, but they added walls to shrink the store. I looked behind the employee only door and saw the classic Thrifty decor on the original wall. It is now a storage room. Drugstore chains seem to want to shrink the floorspace. You would think that more space would be better.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Drugstore Remodeling

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

The fact is they simply don't need the floorspace today. What Walgreen's has been doing the last few years has been noted here many times-removing endcaps and taking out aisles. That's basically the equivalent of taking out floorspace without actually doing so. Matter of fact, I noticed a new thing they're doing along those lines. I visited two of their local locations yesterday and noticed they're blocking the bottom shelves of some aisles with what appear to be product advertising. It looks like solid cardboard signs so you don't see that shelf devoid of product. As has been discussed here, center store and front end are NOT where the money is made in drugstores. Once upon a time, when there was more competition and strong regional chains that was not the case (in this area, Fay's Drugs comes to mind) and prices were pretty good but unless I have coupons along with rewards points I hardly buy anything in a drugstore except prescriptions.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Drugstore Remodeling

Post by jamcool »

Some of us remember when drug stores were bigger, had lunch counters, had garden departments, sold sporting goods (even guns!), and even sold TVs and stereos.