Walgreens Resumes Normal Hours

BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walgreens Resumes Normal Hours

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: June 8th, 2020, 8:06 am
BillyGr wrote: June 7th, 2020, 11:34 am Also, this week they issued no printed ads (the ad was designed and available on the website, just no print copies either in newspapers or the store).
I live in a more rural area and the ad was in the paper as usual. I would estimate the marketing area for it would cover maybe five stores over approximately 40 miles or so.
Maybe it's just something they are trying in spots, as there was a full page in the actual newspaper yesterday saying that they were "pausing" the ads for the time being. As noted, I don't see an issue with not having them in the papers, but they do need something for the stores to look at to confirm if there is an issue with the register not ringing up right.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

They just want to save money by not printing ads.

Most of the Walgreens are back to normal hours. A few stores in bad areas close at 3 pm still. A small number are still closed due to damage from looting.

Many are boarded up except for the door. The 24 hour store near me has not replaced the broken glass doors or windows. There is just a permanent open door with plywood over the broken windows. You can reach out and touch the broken glass. Walgreens stores in riot areas board up for closing.

I have noticed that the 25 hour pharmacy now keeps the metal gates down at night. They conduct business through a single narrow window.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote: June 8th, 2020, 2:10 pm Maybe it's just something they are trying in spots, as there was a full page in the actual newspaper yesterday saying that they were "pausing" the ads for the time being.
Looks like that change is going to be permanent. Single page ad in my weekend paper announcing it.
Attachments
Wags Ad 6-14.jpg
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: June 14th, 2020, 8:26 am
BillyGr wrote: June 8th, 2020, 2:10 pm Maybe it's just something they are trying in spots, as there was a full page in the actual newspaper yesterday saying that they were "pausing" the ads for the time being.
Looks like that change is going to be permanent. Single page ad in my weekend paper announcing it.
We had that as well, but the question was did stuff drop off last week without an ad distributed (even with the one that let people know it was still out there) that caused them to do this one (the one last week had no actual items, just letting you know to go online), or what is actually going on.

Ocean State (a chain that probably isn't quite as far west as you yet) has done this over time - a flier one week, none the next, a small one with more online the following week etc. Kind of like they want to do away with it but can't seem to make it work completely.
Alpha8472 wrote: June 13th, 2020, 1:51 pm I have noticed that the 25 hour pharmacy now keeps the metal gates down at night. They conduct business through a single narrow window.
Is that the one that only operates on the day most areas turn their clocks back an hour (that's how they get a 25 hour day)? ;)
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Technically, the Walgreens pharmacy is 23.5 hours. They have to close for a 30 minute lunch since there is only 1 pharmacist at night.

Walgreens needs to do something about the plywood doors that they put up at night when they close. It looks really bad at their stores and does not seem to keep the looters out.

Perhaps they should invest in a roll down metal gate.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Rite Aid's late 90's prototype stores included a roll down gate for the evening when the store closed. The ones here in Reno run by CVS still put that gate down.

Walgreens does have the roll down gates in the store to close off the pharmacy. It is probably all they care about.