Rite Aid COVID-19 Tests even if no symptoms?

buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Rite Aid COVID-19 Tests even if no symptoms?

Post by buckguy »

There probably won't be guidelines for retesting until the duration of the epidemic becomes more clear, along with the patterns of spread, and regional variations. The population models have a lot of limitations and don't take into account social/geographic factors.

To get good incidence estimates, you need multiple testing in the same people. You also need sentinel testing in high risk places. There probably will be a set of guidelines that apply to closed environments like hospitals, jails, prisons, nursing homes, etc. and a different set for the general population. States with Medicaid expansion (Obamacare) will do well. Other states will have more problems. That the epidemic has been spread initially by mobile well off people and often has gone into very different populations is a challenge for figuring out the movement through the population.

In addition, case identification is the going to be the primary tool for containing the virus until contact tracing is ramped-up. Most public health systems are short on people who do contact tracing of garden variety infectious diseases and the mix of technical and people skills means that a lot of folks who might want to do this won't be very good at it, so mobiliizng students, volunteers, etc. won't happen over night.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: May 11th, 2020, 6:31 pm
veteran+ wrote: May 11th, 2020, 4:51 am FREE testing in Los Angeles County for ALL, regardless of status.

Getting one tomorrow!
What happens once you get the result and it comes back negative? Do you test again after a certain time period? Or only if there is a concern over exposure to the virus or symptoms develop?
According to current available information there are no stated restrictions. In other words I have not found information saying you are not allowed to get retested. Appointments for non symptomatic folks are available first come first serve.

It took 2 weeks for me to grab a spot.
klkla

Post by klkla »

veteran+ wrote: May 12th, 2020, 7:03 amAppointments for non symptomatic folks are available first come first serve.

Which test are you getting? Viral test and/or antibody test? I don't think I will bother with either until I'm able to get both because you're not getting the complete answer with just one.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was wondering if this included the antibody test too. But if you are concerned about exposure to this virus, the viral test would help answer the immediate "do I have it" question.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

klkla wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:08 pm
veteran+ wrote: May 12th, 2020, 7:03 amAppointments for non symptomatic folks are available first come first serve.

Which test are you getting? Viral test and/or antibody test? I don't think I will bother with either until I'm able to get both because you're not getting the complete answer with just one.
As far as I know it was the viral test.

I'm trying to find out about the anti-body test.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The test for the virus is the only proven test. President Trump and the people in the White House get the quick virus test every day. That test delivers results in 15 minutes. However, an NYU study shows that the test could miss results 48 percent of the time. Some staffers from the White House tested negative for days and then suddenly tested positive. It is possible that these rushed quick tests are largely inaccurate. The other tests which take days for results may be more accurate as they are sent to labs for testing.

Some drive thru testing sites use this Abbott ID Now quick test. I would be wary of these quick tests for the virus.

The FDA is cracking down on companies that falsely claim that their antibody tests are approved by the FDA. Home use tests are not allowed by the FDA. The FDA is allowing companies to keep their antibody tests on the market only if they apply for emergency use authorization. So only some antibody tests are allowed under emergency use authorization. Quest Diagnostics has one test that you can schedule online. It is expensive and the accuracy of this test has not been proven. None of these tests are FDA approved yet. They are allowed under EUA. Once these emergency use authorizations expire, the companies will have to file for FDA approval and then they can claim FDA approval.

Some companies claim 99 percent accuracy. However, they are selling these tests for a profit so they advertise it as 99 percent. These claims have no FDA backing.

Some people test positive for coronavirus, but it is due to the fact that many other coronaviruses such as the common cold or SARS make humans produce antibodies that show up on these tests as positive. A positive result could be dangerous because you may think that you have antibodies against COVID-19, when it is due to any number of other coronaviruses including the common cold or other related illnesses. People who were exposed to SARS have tested positive in antibody tests. Having SARS does not protect against COVID-19.

Even people who have had COVID-19 and recovered, later tested positive for the virus again. People were readmitted to hospitals.

We are in the wild west of antibody tests with many false positives. With antibody tests costing over $100, this is expensive and there is no guarantee that the results are accurate. There also is no guarantee that having COVID-19 once prevents a second infection. A false positive could make you think that you are protected when in fact you are not and you may not even have had COVID-19.

There are different strains of COVID-19. There is a more aggressive strain prevalent in New York which appears to be more contagious than the original strain from Wuhan, China and was traced back to Europe. New York has thousands of cases which could be the result of a mutation which makes the New York strain more deadly. People who have had the original strain may also catch the new strain and get COVID-19 again.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Excellent post Alpha!!!
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Please remember to keep the discussions related to retail news.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I found disposable masks in a Rite Aid today. 10pk Disposable Blue Masks (no brand) $8.99. Ouch, but they had a ton. They were placed on an endcap near the liquor department along with some other cleaning supplies. They were similar to the ones 99 Cents Only used to sell 10 for $1 before this mess.