Rite Aid Logo Change

storewanderer

Re: Rite Aid Logo Change

Post by storewanderer »

Logo has now changed on website as well.

Still no new logo visible in the store other than the receipt and ad at the store I went to today.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Now here's something somebody who actually goes into a Rite-Aid can help me with-their weekly ad has featured Thrifty Ice Cream for some time now. I know it's been discussed here before but is it still regional and that's more or less a "stock" ad or has it indeed gone nationwide?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:20 am Now here's something somebody who actually goes into a Rite-Aid can help me with-their weekly ad has featured Thrifty Ice Cream for some time now. I know it's been discussed here before but is it still regional and that's more or less a "stock" ad or has it indeed gone nationwide?
They have rolled it out to some stores on the East Coast- maybe all stores at this point. I believe they rolled out about 8 flavors prepack only (no scoop counters outside the west). It may be best to call the store and ask them if they carry it.

Thrifty Ice Cream seems to be the only thing every single management team at Rite Aid for the past 20 years can agree about.
klkla

Post by klkla »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:20 am Now here's something somebody who actually goes into a Rite-Aid can help me with-their weekly ad has featured Thrifty Ice Cream for some time now. I know it's been discussed here before but is it still regional and that's more or less a "stock" ad or has it indeed gone nationwide?
I don't know the answer to your question but I was surprised to see a Thrifty Ice Cream counter at a Circle K here in Socal recently. They only had eight or ten flavors, though.
Super S

Post by Super S »

klkla wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 3:43 pm
I don't know the answer to your question but I was surprised to see a Thrifty Ice Cream counter at a Circle K here in Socal recently. They only had eight or ten flavors, though.
The Kelso store in the pictures had an ice cream counter when it was a Thrifty, but it was removed when it became Pay 'N Save. I sometimes wonder why they haven't brought it back at this location given the store's history. To be fair though I am not sure either of the local Rite Aid stores carry it in containers, although I understand some stores in Oregon sell it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Thrifty Ice Cream is found at many Asian and Mexican markets in Northern California. Circle K has Thrifty Ice Cream by the scoop.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Just for curiosity's sake, checked on their website the other day and there's a locator feature on there that does indeed say Thrifty Ice Cream is available at the stores nearest to me. Have no desire to go out and try it but just read about it here for several years and found it interesting it's finally made its way East.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: September 25th, 2020, 9:16 am Just for curiosity's sake, checked on their website the other day and there's a locator feature on there that does indeed say Thrifty Ice Cream is available at the stores nearest to me. Have no desire to go out and try it but just read about it here for several years and found it interesting it's finally made its way East.
I do wonder how they handle it in the East stores given they typically did not have much freezer space. I wonder if the late 90's East Rite Aids had a walk in freezer for storage? The late 90's West Rite Aids had a walk in freezer attached to the cooler with 6-8 doors for frozen plus storage space in the back for backstock (ice, ice cream, limited frozen meals).

But then the newer Rite Aids from the 00's did not install the big walk in coolers and just installed lower cost wall-based units (not clear if they have additional storage in the back room or something).

Older Thrifty Stores had an actual walk-in freezer in the back room for ice cream storage, then a coffin freezer the length of an aisle that the ice cream pre-pack was sold from. As stores were remodeled, Rite Aid took the coffins out and went to wall-mounted freezer cases for the pre-pack ice cream.

This was an issue for the Payless Stores as they had no freezers. Separate freezers had to be installed in those stores for selling the pre-pack ice cream and for handling the backstock of the ice cream.

There is a lot of good ice cream on the market. One of the old draws of the Thrifty one was the price. Price has gone up a lot in the past 20 years- a container of the stuff is now retailing at 4.99 (but often on sale in some form- 3.50, buy one get one free, etc.). 20 years ago it retailed at 2.99 (often sale at 1.99 back then). Meanwhile a container of Kroger Ice Cream has remained fairly steady in price at around 2.99 and still goes on sale for 1.99 fairly often. Oh, both of these ice creams in 2000 were a half gallon and are now 48 ounces.

Rite Aid has made some strange decisions with Thrifty ice cream. It used to be sold in cubes (the prepack version as well as the large ones for the service ice cream counters). Then they switched to rounded containers. You can pack a solid brick pallet or rack of cubes. But when you have circles or rounded containers, when you pack them on a pallet or rack you end up with air. So less efficient transport model. Supposedly the new packaging extends shelf life. Thrifty also previously had a line of ice cream sandwiches they made (those would usually go on ad the week the half gallons of ice cream were not on ad) which Rite Aid discontinued.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

So it appears the new logo is showing "RITE AID" in all blue- the initial new logo they rolled out had the "RITE" in blue and the "aid" in a lime green.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Albertsons leaf in the logo was probably paid for when Rite Aid believed that it would merge with Albertsons. After that failed, they were stuck with the logo since they had spent money on it. Might as well use the new logo or waste all of that money.

The change in color from green to blue indicates that they are trying to distance themselves from that failed merger and return to the Rite Aid blue color. The green seems like the green from the Albertsons Premium Fresh & Healthy decor which featured the Albertsons leaf on the walls in that color.