Walgreens' logo redesigned

rudyvalencia

Walgreens' logo redesigned

Post by rudyvalencia »

Walgreens just recently modified their logo. Very slight changes but the most unusual change was making the letter G merge with the R next to it instead of being detached.

The top logo in this image is the original 1947 logo. The previous logo, in the middle, dates to 2005. The third logo in the image is the new logo, directly taken from Walgreens' logo download page.

What are your thoughts on the new version of this iconic logo?
Attachments
WagLogos.png
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walgreens' logo redesigned

Post by rwsandiego »

I feel connecting the "g" with the "r" promotes a better sense of connection between Walgreens dedicated associates and its loyal customers. It also encourages people who might be unfamiliar with Walgreens to connect via Facebook or twitter and see what they are all about. In times like these, connection is very important. I'm glad Walgreens is encouraging connection, albeit subtlely.

OK, I was BS-ing. It is just as pointless as the 2005 logo change.

Now, if Walgreens Marketing department comes up with some BS like I did we know it is time to run far, far away.
Super S

Post by Super S »

The only thing I have ever noticed that changed over the years was the "bowl" part of the logo that appears in the glass area above the doors. The newest locations simply being the "W".

A slight change is good in a way though...it doesn't make a large portion of their stores have outdated logos all at once.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

I get them confused with the Washington Nationals. Crazy how similar the logos are.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

In the 70s Walgreens was experimenting with a new non-script logo...”Walgreens” in a slanted space-age font. It only showed up on matchbooks and a few private-label products. And many of the stores then had the name in upper-case lettering (block or Roman-style)
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

jamcool wrote: December 17th, 2020, 1:38 pm In the 70s Walgreens was experimenting with a new non-script logo...”Walgreens” in a slanted space-age font. It only showed up on matchbooks and a few private-label products. And many of the stores then had the name in upper-case lettering (block or Roman-style)
Before moving down the street (to their 1,000 th store) the Division Street store on Chicago's Gold Coast not only had the Roman letters, but it still had the blue porcelain front.

I forgot about all about the slanted space-age font until you mentioned it just now..
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am curious why they bothered to do this logo change, which is so small it takes a significant amount of focus to even notice anything has changed. However, I think the new logo looks good, just like the old logo did.

I am glad they didn't try to reinvent the wheel and just did a little upgrade to their classic, classy, timeless logo.

Kroger could sure take a lesson from them.
klkla

Post by klkla »

I can't believe someone gets paid to connect Gs and Rs lol. How do I sign up for that job?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: December 17th, 2020, 7:49 pm I can't believe someone gets paid to connect Gs and Rs lol. How do I sign up for that job?
I wonder if they will change the signage... there is probably a low cost solution to do that in a timely manner... unlike Rite Aid who for the past 4 weeks has had no exterior signage on the store I go to. I assume the Rite Aid is getting the new logo, but am confused why they need to have no sign at all for the past 4 weeks. I guess all 3 other customers who shop there at a given time know the store is there so maybe a sign isn't really a big deal.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

It's not a big enough difference for anyone to notice, or care. Amazing that a company that is definitely struggling wastes money on stupid crap like this.