Rite Aid radio ads in Arizona

arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Rite Aid radio ads in Arizona

Post by arizonaguy »

I was listening to 92.3 FM in Phoenix, AZ yesterday and I heard a radio ad for Rite Aid. I was pretty stunned because, as far as I can tell, there are no Rite Aids in the Phoenix, AZ market. Why would a retailer advertise for a store in a market that they don't serve? Is this a sign of things to come?
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Rite Aid radio ads in Arizona

Post by jamcool »

I've also heard radio ads on Phx radio for Office Depot and Advance Auto Parts- none of which have stores here
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Rite Aid runs radio ads up here in Reno, NV but they left this market quite a few years ago.

They do still have stores in Gardnerville, NV (45 miles), Kings Beach, CA (20 miles; 3,000 square foot former Thrifty Jr. in an old bank branch), Truckee, CA (30 miles), and S. Lake Tahoe, CA (65 miles) that one could argue are in this market, but I don't see the point to the ads.

Advance runs radio ads up here in Reno too, but often advertising the .com. I actually have ordered from them once or twice after pricing items out and finding their price favorable.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote:I've also heard radio ads on Phx radio for Office Depot and Advance Auto Parts- none of which have stores here
I believe that the Advance Auto Parts ads are for their .com website. As far as Office Depot, they do exist in the state (but only in the Tucson market).
Super S

Post by Super S »

We have recently discussed these types of ads here:

http://www.retailwatchers.com/viewtopic ... t=10#p2671

Many radio stations are automated these days. Some actually get their programming from satellite feeds, which sometimes also come with commercials for national chains which may or may not have a presence in an area. Radio is a field where there has been a lot of consolidation in recent years, and many stations are owned by large corporations such as Clear Channel. Which leaves many of the smaller ones struggling to compete and stay relevant. Some of our local stations are live in the mornings, and you hear mostly local advertisements during that time. However, as they are automated the rest of the day, that is the time you hear the commercials.

I do find it somewhat interesting, though, how some of the larger regional chains, which advertise heavily on radio stations in markets such as Portland and Seattle, will not spend a dime in advertising with small radio stations that are located in towns such as Longview where they have stores. One good example is Sleep Country USA. I have NEVER heard their advertisements on any of the Longview-Kelso stations.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Super S wrote:Some of our local stations are live in the mornings, and you hear mostly local advertisements during that time.
That is what surprised me about the Rite Aid ad. I heard it at around 4:50 p.m. during the live, local evening talk show.