Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walmart observations

Post by BillyGr »

ClownLoach wrote: September 17th, 2021, 9:01 am
BillyGr wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:08 am
wnetmacman wrote: September 13th, 2021, 1:21 pm Many stores are circumventing this by requiring card payment at self-service registers. My store requires card payment.
I don't know why they can't simply set up a few (depending on how many they have) to take cash and the rest as only for cards.
Every other store chain that has self checkout has done that - that way you still limit the amount of cash needed (since you don't have to fill all the self checks with money).
Especially silly when you have a handful of items and only 1 or 2 regular registers open, and not everyone paying with cash will need a ton of change - the last time I was there it was a whole 2 cents (if the machine had not had that I wouldn't have worried about it).
And where they are leaving one or two that take cash, while the other 6 to 8 don't, it creates chaos when the customer doesn't pay attention until its time to pay, then needs an associate to void the order and move them to another register because they didn't see the little sticker or handmade sign that says no cash at this station. Now one customer clogs up two registers and an employee who could have been helping other customers.
Not sure why (unless that is showing that Wal-Mart's customers are not as attentive as other stores, or that Wal-Mart employees aren't as good at making clear signs), given that I haven't seen it (nor had any issue seeing which ones were card only) at any of the other stores (at least 2 of 3 supermarket chains here, plus places like CVS that installed 2 self checkouts where one never takes cash to begin with).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I may be getting stores confused but I think at Wal Mart, when you scan the first item, a box pops up on the self checkout that says this machine is not currently accepting cash do you want to continue yes or no. You cannot proceed until you press the yes on that box.

I may be mixing this up with some other store...
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Hmm, I didn't realize the no cash thing was intentional. I guess it makes sense not to offer cash payments at every check out. I know the one here has a big red circle on the screen and "Card payments only" on the checkouts that don't use cash. There's no notification upon scanning the first item though. Usually the attendant will ask if you are paying cash or card and direct you to the appropriate one.

There's also a light up on a pole at each counter that I think is green if cash payments are accepted or red if it's card only.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The red light means the self checkout is turned off and not accepting any purchases. The no cash pop up on the self checkout only appears some of the time at Walmart. NCR self Checkouts are notorious for this glitch.

My friend at Walmart says that the armored car company Loomis is the worst ever. They are getting virtually zero quarters and dimes. The stores barely have a small handful of pennies and nickels to give out to each register in the mornings. Literally, the self checkout will run out of coins after just a few customers and then the "Card only" warning will appear on the screen.

Saying "No cash" accepted at regular registers is making the coin shortage worse. They should instead say "exact change please, otherwise card only." That way the register can get more coins. "Card only" means you are turning away potential customers who have coins.

How difficult is it for the armored car company to find a way to transport coins across state lines from states that actually have coins? Apparently, the company is too cheap to pay for long haul drivers or has no plan for effectively distributing coins to the areas that need it.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 19th, 2021, 1:15 am Apparently, the company is too cheap to pay for long haul drivers or has no plan for effectively distributing coins to the areas that need it.
Not wanting to pay to get the job done-sounds like Loomis has taken a page right out of the Walmart playbook.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Interestingly, at Fred Meyer tonight, I saw a sticker at a checkstand that said that all change for cash transactions will be loaded onto the loyalty card. I guess that's one way to do it ...
storewanderer wrote: September 18th, 2021, 12:57 am I may be getting stores confused but I think at Wal Mart, when you scan the first item, a box pops up on the self checkout that says this machine is not currently accepting cash do you want to continue yes or no. You cannot proceed until you press the yes on that box.

I may be mixing this up with some other store...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: September 19th, 2021, 9:38 am
Alpha8472 wrote: September 19th, 2021, 1:15 am Apparently, the company is too cheap to pay for long haul drivers or has no plan for effectively distributing coins to the areas that need it.
Not wanting to pay to get the job done-sounds like Loomis has taken a page right out of the Walmart playbook.
In a NorCal McDonalds today they were telling all customers exact change only or card payment only.

A customer in front of me was paying 8.91 total with a $10 bill. The employee asked if she had 91 cents; she declined. The employee said they do not have change. She said it was okay; she did not need the 9 cents. The employee said no I cannot accept cash unless you have exact change. The manager came out and said they can only accept exact change to balance the system. Wasted 2-3 minutes with this ordeal. At $16/hr plus payroll taxes, they just wasted at least $1 of labor time- may have been better off taking the customer's $10 bill and giving her $2 back vs. what they wasted on labor. The customer ultimately paid with a credit card.

Maybe Wal Mart ran the numbers on giving extra change... vs. refusing cash or dealing with arguments... probably didn't realize many of their customers would still argue about being given extra change.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: September 19th, 2021, 10:05 pm In a NorCal McDonalds today they were telling all customers exact change only or card payment only.

A customer in front of me was paying 8.91 total with a $10 bill. The employee asked if she had 91 cents; she declined. The employee said they do not have change. She said it was okay; she did not need the 9 cents. The employee said no I cannot accept cash unless you have exact change. The manager came out and said they can only accept exact change to balance the system. Wasted 2-3 minutes with this ordeal. At $16/hr plus payroll taxes, they just wasted at least $1 of labor time- may have been better off taking the customer's $10 bill and giving her $2 back vs. what they wasted on labor. The customer ultimately paid with a credit card.

Maybe Wal Mart ran the numbers on giving extra change... vs. refusing cash or dealing with arguments... probably didn't realize many of their customers would still argue about being given extra change.
Or they could have just done what the CUSTOMER suggested - take the $10, give her $1 back, put the other 9 cents into the Ronald McDonald house fund (that they used to have containers at/under registers for) - not actually putting that physically in there, just add up any ungiven change and at the end of the day round to the nearest dollar and insert the paper money, then the register still "balances".

It's still surprising more places haven't thought of doing a bonus for coins, like Ocean State does - give them $10+ in coin, you get a gift card for 40% more (so $10 gets you $14 in gift cards, though the extra $4 is restricted to not be used on some special sales).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

My local Walmart has ended the rounding up and they are now giving change back in coins. The employees still say they are very low on change. So the coin restocking is still being handled poorly by the armored car company Loomis.

The nearby Burger King was asking for exact change only due to their lack of coins.
jipper
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by jipper »

The Walmart Supercenter in my home town has completed their renovation and the results are - shall we say - a mixed bag.

The building has been painted outside and now sports a huge starburst logo in a square on the front, along with Walmart. Looks pretty good.

The interior floor is now polished concrete and looks much better than the old sort of white mismatched tiles.

The front entry/checkout area is actually set up really well with lots of room and at least three self checkout areas along with lots of registers; really easy to move through and well organized. Quite an improvement.

However, most of the other ares of the store have been compressed (to say the least) to get in more product and it is very difficult to move through some parts. In the clothing area, if a cart is coming your way in an aisle someone is going to have to back up, which I did have to do. Additionally, there are fewer access aisles that are wide enough for a few carts. The organization in the clothing areas seems mostly haphazard making it difficult to find some things that used to be easy to find. As a matter of fact, I left the building with two small hardware items because I could not find what I was looking for. Others to whom I have spoken agree; too tightly packed for comfortable shopping.

I think that the Christmas rush will be interesting in this environment and has the potential to lead to angry confrontations between customers.