Target's new LA25 Concept

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Target's new LA25 Concept

Post by submariner »

Last fall, Target announced that some concepts that had been tested separately across the US were going to be coalesced into a new look for Target, starting with 25 stores in what they call their most diverse market, Los Angeles. I recently had a chance to see this in person at the Torrance Target store (Formerly both FedMart and Two Guys, complete with a former Auto Center still in the out lot). Here's my thoughts:
It is quite refreshing. I like that the red paint has been toned down a lot at the perimeter, allowing the product to present better and be the main focus. The 'lifestyle displays' remind me a lot of department stores, and that's a good thing. The grocery section looks more and more like an actual grocery store, rather than a grocery area of a discount store. With unique signage, natural tones, and spotlighting in the produce area, it's a massive improvement. New check stands are here as well, putting the registers in a more conventional location again, and adding a specific lower table to stage reusable bags for loading. Definitely a major improvement. Well done, Target!
https://corporate.target.com/article/20 ... hancements
Attachments
IMG_4549.jpg
IMG_4549.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4548.jpg
IMG_4548.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4547.jpg
IMG_4547.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4546.jpg
IMG_4546.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4543.jpg
IMG_4543.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4540.jpg
IMG_4540.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4538.jpg
IMG_4538.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4536.jpg
IMG_4536.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4535.jpg
IMG_4535.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4534.jpg
IMG_4534.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4533.jpg
IMG_4533.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4532.jpg
IMG_4532.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4531.jpg
IMG_4531.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4528.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4527.jpg
IMG_4527.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4526.jpg
IMG_4526.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4525.jpg
IMG_4525.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4524.jpg
IMG_4524.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4523.jpg
IMG_4523.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4522.jpg
IMG_4522.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_4521.jpg
IMG_4521.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 5459 times
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Target's new LA25 Concept

Post by veteran+ »

Very nice improvements!

:D
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

What's all that stuff in the display case under the customer service counter?
submariner

Post by submariner »

J-Man wrote:What's all that stuff in the display case under the customer service counter?
Candy, Gum, and other impulse buy items you'll find at normal registers. Presumably to get a couple more dollars from you if you're picking up an online order or such. From a merchandising standpoint, not a bad move, ultimately.
submariner

Post by submariner »

This move is also very familiar, take a look at the merchandising efforts of Target Australia all the way back in 2013:
Attachments
2013-02-28 13.59.44.jpg
2013-02-28 13.56.54.jpg
2013-02-28 13.55.21.jpg
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Wow...nice store. The checkstands are right out of the City Target stores.The Clairemont Mesa Target (Balboa and Genesee) has the lifestyle displays. They look great in person.
Super S

Post by Super S »

With the posts that I assume carry wiring etc. for the registers going all the way up to the ceiling, it gives the front end a cheap looking appearance. I realize it is probably more cost effective to run cables & wiring in the ceiling than it is to break apart concrete floors, but it does clutter things up a bit.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

It does look like more like a higher-class department store (perhaps what Sears should be/used to be looking like), except I think the floorplan is too small to have both a complete discount store mix and a complete grocery store mix.
HelloOutThere
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by HelloOutThere »

Hi all. First post on these boards (just an OCD shopper; no ties to industry). My local Target in Manhattan Beach just went with this concept. This store was originally a Greatland concept, then they added grocery and pharmacy after removing the garden section. So it's a mix of that old Greatland layout with new design elements; it's not a completely current floorplan like in Redondo Beach Galleria.

As a long-time Target shopper (I am 32 but remember when Gemco changed to Target back in the day), some thoughts. The spotlight displays look nice and more upscale, but I feel like they have significantly reduced items they carry to make it fit. Several random things I buy there - things I'd go to buy specifically at Target, in fact - went away during the remodel never to return. Specifically in beauty and home care / cleaning products. I feel like the selection is much more "curated" now. The selection feels too small now - abbreviated - and slanted toward higher priced items.

Also, while the red walls with plain white font are "clean," it feels almost too simplistic to me. Unfinished. Cheap. Particular the guest service area. I even asked them when they are finishing painting the walls just to be annoying. ;)

The new checkstands feel smaller and much less substantial, as if they are hollow. The old ones weren't as pretty but didn't feel as if you could flip them over. Finally, they added a bunch of self-checkouts and reduced number of cashiered lanes open at all times. My first experience with self-check at Target and they don't seem to be a good match with Targets that require use of paper bags, like this one.

The grocery area in the MB store looks much darker than the one in the photos on the post. Too dark; almost...grungy. The new packaging on private label Market Pantry goods looks great for now and is a huge upgrade, but will age quickly in my opinion. (A cool article on the Market Pantry refresh can be found here: http://www.underconsideration.com/brand ... fisher.php

(Sorry for the Market Pantry tangent but I associate it with this remodel due to timing.)

The nicest looking part of the remodel is by far the Starbucks, which has been greatly expanded and looks very ornate. They removed "Skedaddles" snack area and replaced with a Which Wich. The Which Wich counter is just a tall stainless steel counter, looks quite plain.

Hope I don't sound completely negative. It does look more modern. But I feel it's a very shallow veneer on a cheaped-out overall concept.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Do they provide any way to easily give feedback to customers of these newly remodeled stores? I'm thinking something along the lines of a kiosk or other very easy means for people to quickly give feedback right inside the store where they could communicate things like items they used to buy and could no longer find, etc.

I believe they did mention part of these remodels involved cutting some items (but they also were supposedly going to add more natural/organic items in food and cleaning).

Somehow despite everything to me this store still looks like a Target. It looks like some changes in presentation. Maybe it is all of the red (even if there is less of it). Also it is interesting the hanging signs they are using seem to be the same ones from 4-5 years ago. The Canada Targets and City Targets used different hanging signs (had little graphics to show each department).