Macy's announces new round of closings

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Macy's announces new round of closings

Post by Brian Lutz »

As I've said before, Macy's primary focus (at least around here) seems to be on "Pay for the name" type brands. This probably works in relatively affluent areas, but doesn't work so great where people are just looking for things to wear.
HelloOutThere
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by HelloOutThere »

I am curious to check out the new Macy's Century City CalItalian described. I am a male millennial so I am curious as to how they market to us. The closest Macy's to me are Del Amo and South Bay Galleria and the Young Men's selection in both is very behind the current styles. Macy's needs more current young men's fashion like what's offered at Zara or even Pac Sun and Cotton On. I'd be willing to pay more at Macy's for good quality, on-trend items, but they just don't seem to carry anything like it. Their selection is like going back in time 10 years.

I am excited to see what they do for Macy's Manhattan Beach. They are consolidating two stores into one expanded store. Manhattan Beach is actually very close to me but I didn't even mention it above because their men's store is so small and depressing. The selection looks like it is catering toward senior citizens (and to be fair, there are a lot of senior citizens in Manhattan Beach), and their Young Men's selection is incredibly poor.

Also, I am curious to see what the Nordstrom in Century City turns out to be like. The new-build Nordstrom at Del Amo is absolutely beautiful -- modern and industrial, but opulent and expensive looking. It makes the price tags feel justified. And their Young Men's section is very good; just more than I am willing to pay. Macy's has an opportunity to wedge itself in between the fast fashion places and Nordstrom for young men, but they're just not executing selection-wise. My two cents of course...
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

HelloOutThere wrote:I am curious to check out the new Macy's Century City CalItalian described. I am a male millennial so I am curious as to how they market to us. The closest Macy's to me are Del Amo and South Bay Galleria and the Young Men's selection in both is very behind the current styles. Macy's needs more current young men's fashion like what's offered at Zara or even Pac Sun and Cotton On. I'd be willing to pay more at Macy's for good quality, on-trend items, but they just don't seem to carry anything like it. Their selection is like going back in time 10 years.

I am excited to see what they do for Macy's Manhattan Beach. They are consolidating two stores into one expanded store. Manhattan Beach is actually very close to me but I didn't even mention it above because their men's store is so small and depressing. The selection looks like it is catering toward senior citizens (and to be fair, there are a lot of senior citizens in Manhattan Beach), and their Young Men's selection is incredibly poor.

Also, I am curious to see what the Nordstrom in Century City turns out to be like. The new-build Nordstrom at Del Amo is absolutely beautiful -- modern and industrial, but opulent and expensive looking. It makes the price tags feel justified. And their Young Men's section is very good; just more than I am willing to pay. Macy's has an opportunity to wedge itself in between the fast fashion places and Nordstrom for young men, but they're just not executing selection-wise. My two cents of course...
I've been in both the Del Amo and South Bay Galleria locations many times. They're pathetic (I actually liked Del Amo better when the two Macy's each had a men's department). It's going to be a while for Manhattan Beach. I was at that mall today. All the current remodel activity is focused on the CVS/Ralphs end of the center (which is scheduled for completion in September). If you've been to the Beverly Center Macy's Men's, Century City is closer to what it is but highly focused on millennials. You might like it but I'm older than you and I'm not a fan of it. Nordstrom is scheduled to open October 3 at the Westfield Century City in a newly built building on the former Macy's (Bullock's) site in the mall. The outside is already looking beautiful. I'm just worried that they'll close the Macy's in the Westside Pavilion after Nordstrom leaves since they sold the Macy's store (former May Co.) in February for $50 million.
HelloOutThere
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by HelloOutThere »

CalItalian wrote:I'm just worried that they'll close the Macy's in the Westside Pavilion after Nordstrom leaves since they sold the Macy's store (former May Co.) in February for $50 million.
I think that Macy's Westside Pavilion will indeed close. In fact, I think the entire Westside Pavilion is royally screwed in its current form. It's already empty and creepy WITH Nordstrom still open. The Macy's there is not a nice location. The parking garage is awful. I remember visiting the Barnes & Noble while I was in college in 2002, and even back then the mall felt "off."

Westside Pavilion is in a prime location; in an ideal world they'd raze the entire east section and turn it into a garden-like lifestyle center like The Point in El Segundo (which I wanted to hate, but must admit, is extremely well-executed with a focus on a variety of hip / upscale eateries. Would be a nice complement to the Landmark Theaters that took over the former Westside Too (can't believe they actually called it that) section. Westside Too reminded me of a tiny, mini Horton Plaza.

No need for a Macy's a mile from their beautiful new palace at Century City. Keeping it open would damage the brand / confuse LA shoppers more than anything.

And to think that in 1985 the Westside Pavilion was "like, totally, the MOST!!!!" as seen here:
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

HelloOutThere wrote:
CalItalian wrote:I'm just worried that they'll close the Macy's in the Westside Pavilion after Nordstrom leaves since they sold the Macy's store (former May Co.) in February for $50 million.
I think that Macy's Westside Pavilion will indeed close. In fact, I think the entire Westside Pavilion is royally screwed in its current form. It's already empty and creepy WITH Nordstrom still open. The Macy's there is not a nice location. The parking garage is awful. I remember visiting the Barnes & Noble while I was in college in 2002, and even back then the mall felt "off."

Westside Pavilion is in a prime location; in an ideal world they'd raze the entire east section and turn it into a garden-like lifestyle center like The Point in El Segundo (which I wanted to hate, but must admit, is extremely well-executed with a focus on a variety of hip / upscale eateries. Would be a nice complement to the Landmark Theaters that took over the former Westside Too (can't believe they actually called it that) section. Westside Too reminded me of a tiny, mini Horton Plaza.

No need for a Macy's a mile from their beautiful new palace at Century City. Keeping it open would damage the brand / confuse LA shoppers more than anything.

And to think that in 1985 the Westside Pavilion was "like, totally, the MOST!!!!" as seen here:
Two Macy's, actually more if you count the former Santa Monica location plus the Beverly Center location, have co-existed on the Westside for a long time. I really wouldn't call their Century City location a "palace". It's smaller than the Westside Pavilion location by 1/3 and the Westside Pavilion also contains a separate 2-story Macy's Furniture store in the former Pavilions (Vons) and store above it. Century City has no furniture.

The parking garage dates back to the May Company days prior to the construction of the two other segments of the Westside Pavilion mall. It was closed for quite a long time for repairs after the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. That worries me everytime I park in it. I try to park on the roof.

I would disagree that it is empty of customers, though. I find it quite busy. I live just over a mile away.

Macy's and the garage are now owned by GPI Cos but the rest of the mall is owned by Macerich, owner of the Santa Monica Place. That would complicate the store being torn down. Don't see it happening especially with Macerich already planning out a remodel of the mall. This story shows a rendering of Macy's that isn't the way it currently looks (with windows on the second floor) http://rebusinessonline.com/hff-secures ... s-angeles/ I wonder if they revealed their real plans for the store in that story as nothing has been announced. The store actually looks like this, currently. http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2017/ ... ling-poss/
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Macerich has put the Westside Pavilion up for sale. The Macy's & parking garage in the mall isn't owned by them, though, but the Macy's will be closing in early 2018. No word on the separate Macy's Furniture Store in the mall closing. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-m ... story.html
http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2017/ ... -pavilion/
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

More closings to add to the list:

Miami (Downtown), Miami, Fla.
The Oaks, Gainesville, Fla.
Novato (Furniture), Novato, Calif.
Honey Creek Mall, Terre Haute, Ind.
Birchwood Mall, Fort Gratiot Township, Mich.
Fountain Place, Cincinnati, Ohio
Burlington Town Center, Burlington, Vt.

The retailer also said Thursday that it is moving ahead with four other store closures previously announced:

Laguna Hills Mall, Laguna Hills, Calif.
Westside Pavilion, Los Angeles, Calif.
Stonestown Galleria, San Francisco, Calif.
Magic Valley Mall, Twin Falls, Idaho

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 002886001/
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

CalItalian wrote: May 16th, 2017, 1:07 pm
HelloOutThere wrote:

Two Macy's, actually more if you count the former Santa Monica location plus the Beverly Center location, have co-existed on the Westside for a long time. I really wouldn't call their Century City location a "palace". It's smaller than the Westside Pavilion location by 1/3 and the Westside Pavilion also contains a separate 2-story Macy's Furniture store in the former Pavilions (Vons) and store above it. Century City has no furniture.

The parking garage dates back to the May Company days prior to the construction of the two other segments of the Westside Pavilion mall. It was closed for quite a long time for repairs after the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. That worries me everytime I park in it. I try to park on the roof.

I would disagree that it is empty of customers, though. I find it quite busy. I live just over a mile away.

Macy's and the garage are now owned by GPI Cos but the rest of the mall is owned by Macerich, owner of the Santa Monica Place. That would complicate the store being torn down. Don't see it happening especially with Macerich already planning out a remodel of the mall. This story shows a rendering of Macy's that isn't the way it currently looks (with windows on the second floor) http://rebusinessonline.com/hff-secures ... s-angeles/ I wonder if they revealed their real plans for the store in that story as nothing has been announced. The store actually looks like this, currently. http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2017/ ... ling-poss/
Wait, they had a Pavilions supermarket INSIDE the mall (which was also named Westside Pavilions)? Am I missing something...?
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: January 4th, 2018, 7:35 am Wait, they had a Pavilions supermarket INSIDE the mall (which was also named Westside Pavilions)? Am I missing something...?
Originally there was a Vons next door to the Macy's. When the developer decided to build an enclosed mall called the Westside Pavilion in the space that included the Vons they agreed to open a new underground store in the development.

The new Vons was a low volume store (which was sad because the store it replaced was one of their highest volume stores) so they decided to change the format to Pavilions before ultimately pulling the plug all together,
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

klkla wrote: January 4th, 2018, 3:34 pm
pseudo3d wrote: January 4th, 2018, 7:35 am Wait, they had a Pavilions supermarket INSIDE the mall (which was also named Westside Pavilions)? Am I missing something...?
Originally there was a Vons next door to the Macy's. When the developer decided to build an enclosed mall called the Westside Pavilion in the space that included the Vons they agreed to open a new underground store in the development.

The new Vons was a low volume store (which was sad because the store it replaced was one of their highest volume stores) so they decided to change the format to Pavilions before ultimately pulling the plug all together,
I'm guessing it was only accessed via parking garage and not through street level or the mall itself?