Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2018

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Re: Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2018

Post by Super S »

Sears stock has fallen below $1:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/28/sears-i ... asdaq.html

I honestly am surprised that Sears and Kmart are still around at this point. They are close to not having a Sears OR Kmart presence in some states, and several have no Kmarts left. A lot of people, because of how many stores they have closed, already think they are out of business. And as for the open stores, people are leery of buying appliances, lawn mowers, etc. from a store that might not be around much longer. I am expecting a major announcement after the holidays, if not before.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:11 am Sears stock has fallen below $1:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/28/sears-i ... asdaq.html

I honestly am surprised that Sears and Kmart are still around at this point. They are close to not having a Sears OR Kmart presence in some states, and several have no Kmarts left. A lot of people, because of how many stores they have closed, already think they are out of business. And as for the open stores, people are leery of buying appliances, lawn mowers, etc. from a store that might not be around much longer. I am expecting a major announcement after the holidays, if not before.
A year ago, I'd have said they may stick around. But now, given how many metro areas have no Sears, and no Kmart, thanks to the closures this year of some well located Sears, I do not see a clear path forward for them. Kmart's ship sailed off 5+ years ago and it has clearly been a matter of time.

It looks like the strategy of destroying Kmart to try to save Sears failed. But it did serve to keep Sears going until the real estate market started to turn around with the better economy the past couple years. The Kmart spaces primarily in downtrodden locations, very old buildings, etc. were low value before and would still be low value today had they tried to keep those.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Closings are in California, Illinois, New York, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.

I have heard a quantity of Kmart stores remaining in North Carolina and South Carolina will close in early 2019.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Knight wrote: October 4th, 2018, 9:01 am Closings are in California, Illinois, New York, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.

I have heard a quantity of Kmart stores remaining in North Carolina and South Carolina will close in early 2019.
There always seem to be a few "quiet" closures added in that do not make these lists, and sometimes do not even generate a news story.

At the rate they have been going, pretty soon there won't be any stores left to close.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

I am just waiting for Seas, Sears Auto, and Kmart locations to close without notice. Any leased location with leases expiring in 2019 should be in position to close.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Super S

Post by Super S »

Chapter 11 will only prolong the slow, painful death of this company. Chapter 7 could be the end of the line though....we'll see.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Super S wrote: October 10th, 2018, 9:04 am
Chapter 11 will only prolong the slow, painful death of this company. Chapter 7 could be the end of the line though....we'll see.
The vultures are circling....

I suspect this is all smoke and mirrors to buy Fast Eddie a little more time to pull off his heist....err.....plan to 'save' Sears. The only problem is that nobody seems to care if it's saved at this point. I really think there may be something in the works with Amazon to try to buy in for a retail presence that they so desperately want.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

wnetmacman wrote: October 10th, 2018, 9:43 am
Super S wrote: October 10th, 2018, 9:04 am
If Amazon were to buy Sears, would the name survive? Or could it be “Sears by Amazon”?

The vultures are circling....

I suspect this is all smoke and mirrors to buy Fast Eddie a little more time to pull off his heist....err.....plan to 'save' Sears. The only problem is that nobody seems to care if it's saved at this point. I really think there may be something in the works with Amazon to try to buy in for a retail presence that they so desperately want.