Target using lowercase "target" on full-scale stores

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
pseudo3d

Re: Target using lowercase "target" on full-scale stores

Post by pseudo3d »

BatteryMill wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:26 pm
pseudo3d wrote: December 10th, 2019, 7:25 am A recent drive through Houston highways shows that many of the roadside signage has changed to the new lower case lettering. Frankly, I'm torn about the retiring of the SuperTarget name--the PFresh stuff has diluted that, and as we know, not all grocery stores are created equal...
They've been updating those signs en masse? I thought Houston's stores remodeled in 2017 before the ST marquee was discontinued.

It's a shame for me overall too, those stores were certainly unique with layout, size, and features compared to classic Targets. While even then it's been outmoded, I'd still be fine with ST having been prevalent in higher-volume/grocery-focused areas or adapted to boosting the GM areas outside the regular stores' mainframe.

Also, I do have theories as to why the banner was discontinued. Seeing as Target is remodeling many of their stores, they are looking to install new, flashy signs. The newer Target signs are often larger and fit such criteria. Adding the "Super" prefix and designing a new lowercase variant would be more costly in time, money, and resources. Plus, it seems a Walmart-type route was definitely easy to take.
Most of those stores were remodeled to PFresh before, now they don't have the Target name at all. I haven't been inside the Pearland store recently (Super Target) but as of late 2014 it was still rocking its original neon décor from 2001. That's probably no longer the case though.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Target using lowercase "target" on full-scale stores

Post by BatteryMill »

Super S wrote: December 10th, 2019, 7:28 pm This location is one that never even got a Pfresh remodel.
Interesting question- I wonder if Target has included new PFresh sections lately within their remodel spree.
Alpha8472 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 11:27 pm Stores near me that were remodeled a couple of years ago received the bulleye logo only. The word Target was removed. Then in recent remodels this year with the Next Gen decor, Target stores received the bullseye and the lower case target lettering. The unique thing about the most recent Next Gen remodels is the brown faux wood paneling that is added to the exteriors of the buildings. At first, the wood paneling was only on part of the facade for stores. Now for the newest Next Gen remodels the wood paneling is quite extensive and covers much more of the facade. There is more brown than red on a Target store now.
I believe some of those new façades and other new signage placements just don't seem to mesh in well with a lot of locations. Having the Target logo alone makes façades feel rather empty, and makes the stores have less class by simply showing guests a bullseye before entering.
pseudo3d wrote: December 11th, 2019, 8:30 pm Most of those stores were remodeled to PFresh before, now they don't have the Target name at all. I haven't been inside the Pearland store recently (Super Target) but as of late 2014 it was still rocking its original neon décor from 2001. That's probably no longer the case though.
Pearland and Sugar Land (it's "twin store") both remodeled in 2017, when the SuperTarget name was still being used for these remodels. The colorful neon packages are getting increasingly rare, especially since these STs, untouched by PFresh, are long up for remodel. Those, in my opinion, have more character than part of what is used today.