Walmart to open a maximum of 10 new stores in FY2020

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Walmart to open a maximum of 10 new stores in FY2020

Post by arizonaguy »

They'll probably close at least as many stores as they open.

Are they transforming their business or is this Kmart 2001/2002 all over again?

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... NIxLdKt7Hc
klkla

Re: Walmart to open a maximum of 10 new stores in FY2020

Post by klkla »

From that article:

"“I want to challenge your thinking about Walmart,” Chief Executive Doug McMillon told the Bentonville, Ark., company’s annual investor meeting, which was webcast. “We are getting to reimagine retail and our business ... expect us to test a lot and fail a lot.”

If I was an investor in that company I wouldn't be to inspired by those comments.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote: October 16th, 2018, 6:13 pm From that article:

"“I want to challenge your thinking about Walmart,” Chief Executive Doug McMillon told the Bentonville, Ark., company’s annual investor meeting, which was webcast. “We are getting to reimagine retail and our business ... expect us to test a lot and fail a lot.”

If I was an investor in that company I wouldn't be to inspired by those comments.
Sounds like they want to say "move fast and break things" but they are actually saying "we don't know what the hell we are doing."
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: October 16th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Sounds like they want to say "move fast and break things" but they are actually saying "we don't know what the hell we are doing."
These retailers who can't seem to get things straight or get a clear strategy, are just playing into Amazon's hand so well...

Maybe Meijer is ready for a major territory expansion.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: October 16th, 2018, 8:40 pm

These retailers who can't seem to get things straight or get a clear strategy, are just playing into Amazon's hand so well...

For years I've said Walmart will one day go the way of KMart and Sears.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

rwsandiego wrote: October 16th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Walmart's problem now is that it's spending a ton of money chasing Amazon's customer base while at the same time neglecting its own.

Walmart's specialty is working class, lower middle class, rural, and suburban shoppers. That's where Sam Walton made his money and that's a demographic that probably won't migrate online as easily as others.

What I see here are that all of Walmart's initiatives are chasing urban and suburban upper middle class customers. These customers will never think of Walmart as its preferred retail option. Walmart appears to be wasting billions of dollars on a customer who already has better options with Amazon, Costco, and Target (among others).

Already Walmart is bleeding its core demographic to Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Ollie's, Big Lots, Marshall's, TJMaxx, and Ross. Not to mention some of the better run supermarket chains. Walmart simply isn't going to find success trying to go upmarket. Eventually it'll figure it out but it may be too late.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: October 17th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Walmart's problem now is that it's spending a ton of money chasing Amazon's customer base while at the same time neglecting its own.

Walmart's specialty is working class, lower middle class, rural, and suburban shoppers. That's where Sam Walton made his money and that's a demographic that probably won't migrate online as easily as others.

What I see here are that all of Walmart's initiatives are chasing urban and suburban upper middle class customers. These customers will never think of Walmart as its preferred retail option. Walmart appears to be wasting billions of dollars on a customer who already has better options with Amazon, Costco, and Target (among others).

Already Walmart is bleeding its core demographic to Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Ollie's, Big Lots, Marshall's, TJMaxx, and Ross. Not to mention some of the better run supermarket chains. Walmart simply isn't going to find success trying to go upmarket. Eventually it'll figure it out but it may be too late.
They are just doing what Wall Street wants them to do. It is very similar to Kroger. Throwing a ton of money down bottomless pits that won't produce results. Not taking care of the core customers as well as they have in the past.

Some of these companies just need to stand up to Wall Street and at the get go, do what is right for their customers, and their employees. The sales and profits to satisfy Wall Street will follow.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: October 17th, 2018, 10:49 pm
arizonaguy wrote: October 17th, 2018, 9:22 pm

They are just doing what Wall Street wants them to do. It is very similar to Kroger. Throwing a ton of money down bottomless pits that won't produce results. Not taking care of the core customers as well as they have in the past.

Some of these companies just need to stand up to Wall Street and at the get go, do what is right for their customers, and their employees. The sales and profits to satisfy Wall Street will follow.
I've been saying that for the past year. Kroger and Walmart are throwing money at something that its core customer doesn't want. Both chains will eventually figure this out (although they'll waste a ton of money and alienate a number of customers in the process).

I went to my local Fry's tonight to do some shopping. This store is a very high volume store. Not one customer was using the Scan, Bag, Go system.
klkla

Post by klkla »

A new smaller technology oriented Sams Club will be opening in Dallas:

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ore-dallas

"Sam’s Club soon plans to open a new, smaller club in Dallas that will serve as an incubation site for future store concepts and technology.
Called Sam’s Club Now, the 32,000-square-foot location — about a quarter of the size of a typical Sam’s warehouse club — will pilot technologies to promote a more interactive shopping environment in-store and fine-tune the omnichannel experience."
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

klkla wrote: October 29th, 2018, 5:29 pm A new smaller technology oriented Sams Club will be opening in Dallas:

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ore-dallas

"Sam’s Club soon plans to open a new, smaller club in Dallas that will serve as an incubation site for future store concepts and technology.
Called Sam’s Club Now, the 32,000-square-foot location — about a quarter of the size of a typical Sam’s warehouse club — will pilot technologies to promote a more interactive shopping environment in-store and fine-tune the omnichannel experience."
It will be interesting to see if this concept takes off, as the space has been a revolving door of grocers. It was originally built as a Marina Safeway and still maintains its beamwork and curved ceilings inside. After Safeway left due to leaving the market, a natural/organic grocer moved in which was eventually purchased by Whole Foods. Then in 2009, Whole Foods moved from the site to another location nearby and Walmart eventually moved in with a Neighborhood Market which flopped within a couple of years. Since then, the site has been sitting vacant as Walmart held a 20 year lease and refused to allow for any new tenants which could pose a competitive threat (wide-ranging, obviously). Hopefully this concept takes off, as this store has been an eyesore in an otherwise bustling area over the last couple of years.