Kohl's stores accepting Amazon returns

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Kohl's stores accepting Amazon returns

Post by SamSpade »

I thought I'd already seen this reported somewhere but maybe not.

The Kohl's here is accepting Amazon.com returns.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Kohl's stores accepting Amazon returns

Post by submariner »

I actually used the service a few months ago. If you use Kohls to do a return, they also give you a discount coupon to use at Kohl's, a nice touch. The process was super easy and convenient; and you get your refund a LOT faster.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

For me, the best part was that I didn't even have to box or wrap the item or even bring them the original packaging. Super convenient!
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Normally I would be against helping a competitor but for now this is a good match. For Amazon it makes the return process simpler. For Kohl's, it generates foot traffic. Probably the biggest issue here is that Amazon has been rather unsuccessful selling apparel. It's their worst performing category. So at least for now they are not much of a competitor to Kohl's, which eases any competitive strain in their relationship.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Kohl's is just begging to be acquired by Amazon.

Kohl's is "in line" after Sears and JC Penney go entirely out of business. We will see what happens to them once they are the lowest hanging fruit. I think their financials are a lot better which will certainly help. But the store doesn't seem materially better than a JC Penney.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 11:30 pm I think Kohl's is just begging to be acquired by Amazon.

Kohl's is "in line" after Sears and JC Penney go entirely out of business. We will see what happens to them once they are the lowest hanging fruit. I think their financials are a lot better which will certainly help. But the store doesn't seem materially better than a JC Penney.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. Amazon has zero interest in old fashioned brick and mortar real estate. They bought Whole Foods to use as a fresh foods distribution hub rather than because they want to get into the physical grocery business. Their other ventures show a push towards online rather than opening a ton of physical stores. I don't see Amazon buying Kohl's.

Regardless, Kohl's isn't in the same boat as JCPenny. Few of their stores are in malls. Unlike JCPenney and Sears, the stores are all looking current and the inventory reflects today's fashion realities. Kohl's is scrappy as shown by some of the initiatives they are taking on. Most will not work but it shows they are not just sitting by, waiting to die. In the complicated world of department stores, Kohl's and Nordstrom are the few that are going to make it.

I admit I'm not a Kohl's shopper but I'm not your average customer either. I like to pay more for better quality stuff but to many American's Kohl's is the mid-market stuff that they love to buy. I know a few people at Kohl's HQ. They are sharp people who know they can't just rest on their laurels. They may go out of business down the road but before that happens, a lot of other retailers are going to come first.

Interesting story that says the same thing.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/business ... index.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: November 5th, 2018, 2:34 pm
storewanderer wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 11:30 pm I think Kohl's is just begging to be acquired by Amazon.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Amazon has zero interest in old fashioned brick and mortar real estate. They bought Whole Foods to use as a fresh foods distribution hub rather than because they want to get into the physical grocery business. Their other ventures show a push towards online rather than opening a ton of physical stores. I don't see Amazon buying Kohl's.

Regardless, Kohl's isn't in the same boat as JCPenny. Few of their stores are in malls. Unlike JCPenney and Sears, the stores are all looking current and the inventory reflects today's fashion realities. Kohl's is scrappy as shown by some of the initiatives they are taking on. Most will not work but it shows they are not just sitting by, waiting to die. In the complicated world of department stores, Kohl's and Nordstrom are the few that are going to make it.

I admit I'm not a Kohl's shopper but I'm not your average customer either. I like to pay more for better quality stuff but to many American's Kohl's is the mid-market stuff that they love to buy. I know a few people at Kohl's HQ. They are sharp people who know they can't just rest on their laurels. They may go out of business down the road but before that happens, a lot of other retailers are going to come first.

Interesting story that says the same thing.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/business ... index.html
Oh, I don't think Amazon has any intention of acquiring Kohl's. I think Kohl's, internally, is begging to be acquired by Amazon. I do not think it is a mutual situation by any means.

Kohl's store operations seemed a lot stronger 15 years ago than they are today. The merchandise quality also seemed better back then. But I suppose that can be said for quite a few retailers... However, as you point out, at least they are trying.