Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Walmart observations

Post by cjd »

Our local Walmart's optical must be a company staffed one since they wear the white coats. As of this week it was still open.

Stopping at Walmart last night I was able to find most things I needed. The frozen food aisle had really been emptied out and very small amounts of what was left. Lots of empty shelves and boxes.

The security gates seem to not be used lately from my last few trips there. They have just been left open. On the gates it shows an outline of Florida and reads "Florida's Low Price Leader" just like the banners around the front of the store.

Self checkouts were being wiped down after every customer or two. Most of the business was in the grocery department and pharmacy/personal care aisles. Very little traffic in general merchandise, garden or electronics.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Now that Wal Mart closes at 8:30 and it is quite busy up until closing, I won't be going in there anytime soon, unless I absolutely have to for some reason (unlikely in the near term).

But when I went in on Tuesday night after 10 PM, it did not seem like anyone was cleaning the self checkouts between customers. There was still an elderly rent a cop at the exit door (as has been the case during overnight hours at this store since last summer) who, historically, is very serious about looking at your receipt. But this time he did not ask to see my receipt and just waived me by.

I think self checkout is quite safe. If you hold the items in your hands, scan, then immediately bag the item has no contact with the machine. The only potential risk is the outside of the bag that touches the counter. In the case of Wal Mart you do not have to touch the screen at all if you pay with a credit card you can scan items then insert your card and the machine will go straight to payment without you having to touch finish and pay or anything (the "did you scan all items" prompt will also go away after a few seconds) and the payment terminal does not ask any questions if it is a straight credit card (not debit card).

Produce purchases are a little more difficult at this time between the fact that produce sits out, sometimes on plastic displays, people rummage through it, then you have to touch the screens to get it rung up. Safeway needs to get rid of the "accept weight" prompt on its self checkouts for produce purchases NOW to eliminate that unnecessary touching of the screen.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

The receipt checker cart was set up at Walmart last night but the person was out in the vestibule doing something when I walked out so not scanning took place. Most people get waved through, I think the only time they scan the receipt is for un bagged or big ticket items as has been said. Most people still seem to stop though if there's someone ahead of them but almost always just get told have a good night/day/weekend instead of any scanning.

My initial thought is the security gates are only closed/in use if there is a receipt checker on duty but that doesn't seem to be the case from the last few visits. I think they just got frustrated with the gates and decided to stop using them at least here.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Has Walmart closed off some departments in their stores? It's been a few weeks since I've been. But I had heard the clothing sections are roped off.

Is there some restrictions requiring these areas to be closed? It really seems if people are already circulating in the store, they may as well have this section open for business. Or is it considered unfair since most department stores and discount chains are closed? I hard Sears too has closed their clothing off.

What if someone needs socks or underwear? Those items are in the middle of clothing so would be off limits.

I went to Dollar General last week and didn't notice clothing, but T-shirts and underwear were still available.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

cjd wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:09 am Has Walmart closed off some departments in their stores? It's been a few weeks since I've been. But I had heard the clothing sections are roped off.

Is there some restrictions requiring these areas to be closed? It really seems if people are already circulating in the store, they may as well have this section open for business. Or is it considered unfair since most department stores and discount chains are closed? I hard Sears too has closed their clothing off.

What if someone needs socks or underwear? Those items are in the middle of clothing so would be off limits.

I went to Dollar General last week and didn't notice clothing, but T-shirts and underwear were still available.
Only heard of one state (that being VT) that was trying to get stores to not sell "non essential" items. Now, what is actually non essential could be quite a difficult thing to determine for some stores.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

There was a photo of a Walmart I saw today (unknown source) that had the toy aisle roped off.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Since they're limiting the number of customers in the store, this might be a way to try and cut down on the time they spend shopping. Let's put it this way-a shopper puts more thought into buying an article of clothing or pair of shoes than they do in taking a package of toilet paper or a can or box of this or that off a shelf. Also theoretically limits customer exposure which should help in stopping community spread.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: April 4th, 2020, 8:04 pm There was a photo of a Walmart I saw today (unknown source) that had the toy aisle roped off.
Why? I understand toys are not necessities but with so many children having to stay at home I don’t see a problem with parents being able to buy them.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

klkla wrote: April 5th, 2020, 9:35 am
pseudo3d wrote: April 4th, 2020, 8:04 pm There was a photo of a Walmart I saw today (unknown source) that had the toy aisle roped off.
Why? I understand toys are not necessities but with so many children having to stay at home I don’t see a problem with parents being able to buy them.
I don't know, but it's required in Denver, at least.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Last Friday night I went to Walmart and noticed they had a large easel-like corporate sign at the health/beauty entrance stating that it was for emergency exit only. I did see a group of people going toward that exit to leave (not sure if they were successful).

I did also notice at the grocery exit, the receipt checker was not standing inside the main store as in the past, but stationed in the foyer, right inside of the door leading directly outside. There was no line and she did not seem to be scanning any receipts, she seemed to just be looking to see if everyone's items were bagged as they walked past and she said "bye" "have a good weekend," etc. This seemed a lot better than the bottle neck lines inside the store itself in the past (which I never waited in line to have a receipt check anyway). And I've never had them ask to check my receipt even if there was nobody in front of me.

Another thing I noticed were the security gates were in use again when I entered the store. In the past they had been left open.