Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Re: Walmart observations

Post by Alpha8472 »

It is crazy that there is a shortage of this kind and that on a store level the registers are programmed to give free money away.

It also applies to cash refunds. If you are owed a refund of $1 the computer will round to $10. You make $9. This is when the store should require refunds back to a card only.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:22 pm Walmart has a severe shortage of all coins except for pennies. They are also running low on $1 and $5.

If you pay by cash and need change the register now rounds to $10. For example your item costs 90 cents. You pay with $1. You now get $10 back in change. I kid you not! You get that much money back.

This applies to all registers in the store. They are now asking for card payment instead of cash.
This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Why don't they just comp the 90 cent item?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart has such inflexible corporate policies. Employees cannot give items way for free. It is obvious that the people in the corporate office have no idea how much money they can lose by such a bizarre change rounding program at the register.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I had a grocery item scan wrong at Wal Mart. I told the employee, who had a silver name badge noting 15 years of service. The employee said "the tag is wrong on that entire line of products" I said I guess we need to go to a price check then. The employee said "no the tag is wrong the tag has been wrong on these since May and nobody changes it" then angrily voided the item off and gave me the correct price (I never even told her the correct price- but she knew what it was). Then as I paid she said "there you go and just so you know the price is going up." I said to her I guess whenever someone changes the tags yes that will be the case. I really screwed up paying with a card, I should have pulled out a $5 bill. Maybe they'd have given me $10 back.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart used to have department managers who would spend their days changing price tags and restocking the shelves. Then they fired them a year or 2 ago. Now no one changes the price tags, and customers have to get price adjustments, and the store loses money.

To save a little money, they cut jobs. Then the store loses money when cashiers have to price adjust items to an old outdated price. In the end, Walmart loses more money than the cost of one employee who would fix the outdated prices. The previous manager was not really cut. They just got reassigned to restocking duties. So there really is no cost savings.

The department manager also helped customers find items and watched out for shoplifters. Now that no one watches the shelves, there is more shoplifting and more customers who complain about not being helped. So you lose loyal customers and you get more theft.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

WOW!!!!!

Walmart has NO Price Integrity clerks?

These clerks are usually tasked with shelf tag maintenance, routine price integrity, ad changes and signage, etc.

It is one of the most important job in the store.

Unbelievable!!!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 8:41 am WOW!!!!!

These clerks are usually tasked with shelf tag maintenance, routine price integrity, ad changes and signage, etc.

Unbelievable!!!
I'm not sure. I can tell you there is another Wal Mart I go to; the Friskies Cat Food has been posted at .58 but the past two weeks it scans .60. It isn't worth my time to argue with them over 2 cents per can based on that I am just buying an armfull of cans but the fact they haven't updated these price tags after two weeks does say something.

I'd like to see some states go after Wal Mart for all of these scanning errors and return the scan guarantee policy that used to be in place. I find it interesting that CA requires grocers like Safeway, Ralphs, also Rite Aid, to have a scan guarantee "forever" yet let retailers like Wal Mart and Walgreens only have "temporary" scan guarantees for a set time period (which has since expired).
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Five months (and counting) since I've set foot in a Wal-Mart and after reading all these stories guess I'm not really missing out on all that much am I.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:48 am
veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 8:41 am WOW!!!!!

Unbelievable!!!
I'm not sure. I can tell you there is another Wal Mart I go to; the Friskies Cat Food has been posted at .58 but the past two weeks it scans .60. It isn't worth my time to argue with them over 2 cents per can based on that I am just buying an armfull of cans but the fact they haven't updated these price tags after two weeks does say something.

I'd like to see some states go after Wal Mart for all of these scanning errors and return the scan guarantee policy that used to be in place. I find it interesting that CA requires grocers like Safeway, Ralphs, also Rite Aid, to have a scan guarantee "forever" yet let retailers like Wal Mart and Walgreens only have "temporary" scan guarantees for a set time period (which has since expired).
The SCAN guarantee has been modified through the years here (for the benefit of the retailer as usual).

It used to be with certain retailers that if the item scanned wrong you get it for free (within limits) and other various combinations. As far as I have seen, it has devolved to guarantee price correction........................
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 2:17 pm Five months (and counting) since I've set foot in a Wal-Mart and after reading all these stories guess I'm not really missing out on all that much am I.
It's been many many years for me and I'm stickin to it.

:D