Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart observations

Post by veteran+ »

ALPHA.........

Pretty darn accurate assessment.

I have friends that work at Walmart that say the same thing.

My deceased Mom worked at Walmart decades ago after retiring from being a menswear buyer at JCP (and before that a fashion designer in NYC).

Funny how some things never change (she told me myriad horror stories). Only difference is after so many federal and oversea's lawsuits.........Walmart's PR machine is much more creative today.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 1:42 pm They are losing tons of sales when customers get tired of waiting in line and leave.
Not to mention they have to restock all of that merchandise as well. I even got so incensed at the entire experience I left an entire order on the belt and walked out. And you know the employees shouldn't have to deal with all that but even the customers hate the company so they're going to take it out on the face of the company which means the employee they usually have the most contact with which is usually at checkout. I remember one time several years ago I needed a car battery. Mine died at home in the yard and I had AAA come over and jump me which meant I didn't dare shut the engine off. It was a Sunday so I go to the first place close to home that was open which was Wallyworld. Go to the desk in the back-nobody around-(surprise surprise.) Stand there for a bit and then go up front to the service desk. They page for someone to go to that desk and again no one shows. I then grab a manager and he finally got somebody there. And now here's the kicker-the battery I needed was OUT OF STOCK! I ended up going to a (then) still open Sears 10-15 miles from there. You think I ever went back there again for any automotive stuff?!?-NOT!
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Unfortunately Amazon is worse in the treatment of its employees
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Talk to employees at most major retailers and they will say the same thing as what is being said about Wal Mart. Go talk to the employees at Macy's, Target, the drugstore chains (maybe not Rite Aid), many of the grocery chains, you will hear all the same things.

With the restructuring (read: cuts) Wal Mart has done the past couple years and then the COVID pandemic it seems like there is a real strain on the organization's employees. Yes they are increasing the hourly wage now starting at $16/hr in Reno and offering full time (but for how long... don't forget the restructuring that seemed to be ongoing for many years before COVID), but what good does it do when everyone is miserable? It ends up you can't even get people to work for you.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Many companies are having problems keeping employees. If an employee quits, the company needs to spend money to train a new employee. This is time and money. With unemployment pay so easy to get today, many people are quitting and staying on unemployment.

Companies need to realize that a small investment in more staffing will ease the stress on overworked employees. Fewer employees will quit and you will save money on training new employees.

There will be an increase in sales as lines at checkout will be shorter. Customers will be more satisfied and they are more likely to return and buy more. A staffing increase will help sales, and not hurt profits.

Walmart of all companies is doing reasonably well. They can afford to invest in more staffing and make a difference in increasing sales.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: May 24th, 2021, 11:53 pm Talk to employees at most major retailers and they will say the same thing as what is being said about Wal Mart. Go talk to the employees at Macy's, Target, the drugstore chains (maybe not Rite Aid), many of the grocery chains, you will hear all the same things.

With the restructuring (read: cuts) Wal Mart has done the past couple years and then the COVID pandemic it seems like there is a real strain on the organization's employees. Yes they are increasing the hourly wage now starting at $16/hr in Reno and offering full time (but for how long... don't forget the restructuring that seemed to be ongoing for many years before COVID), but what good does it do when everyone is miserable? It ends up you can't even get people to work for you.
That is probably true but NO retailer on the planet has been "caught" and sued more often than Walmart for their pernicious transgressions against employees. An easy google search clearly demonstrates that.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 7:51 pm
The experience at rural Wal Mart Stores is so radically different from the experience in the densely populated areas...
I agree 100% with this statement. The Walmart locations in the larger cities, such as areas closest to Portland, are where you find all kinds of merchandise in locked cabinets. (Some competitors such as Fred Meyer also do this) Those stores often tend to be dirty and have security guards driving around the lot and additional highly visible parking lot cameras on trailers, some which have flashing lights. There are other security measures present such as gates inside the doors. The low staffing really shows in these more crowded stores. As you move away from the large cities, you find much less merchandise in locked cabinets. You also find less crowded stores, and these stores tend to be cleaner and while staffing still is low, it is easier to find employees to help when needed. It is in these locations where you will often find long term Walmart employees. There are some exceptions, but that has been my experience.

Walmart's roots are in small towns, and they seem to do best in these types of stores. They don't typically do as well with store presentation in the larger cities.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

From the time they arrived in my area in the early '90's, I always had the feeling that Walmart didn't trust anybody. The attitude projected was that they felt the customers and employees were robbing them blind and darnit we're not going to stand for it and if you don't like it then don't shop or work here. That was in 1992 and here we are in 2021 and it's still the same. I can honestly say I have never felt welcome in any of their stores. Their attitude is-grab your stuff, pay for it and get out. I just feel frustrated when I'm in one of their stores but I've found a solution-avoid them as much as possible. And mind you, I live in a rural area so my experience is predominantly with relatively rural stores. I can only imagine what it's like in urban areas-my sympathy to the customers who shop there and the employees who work there.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: May 26th, 2021, 9:50 am From the time they arrived in my area in the early '90's, I always had the feeling that Walmart didn't trust anybody. The attitude projected was that they felt the customers and employees were robbing them blind and darnit we're not going to stand for it and if you don't like it then don't shop or work here. That was in 1992 and here we are in 2021 and it's still the same. I can honestly say I have never felt welcome in any of their stores. Their attitude is-grab your stuff, pay for it and get out. I just feel frustrated when I'm in one of their stores but I've found a solution-avoid them as much as possible. And mind you, I live in a rural area so my experience is predominantly with relatively rural stores. I can only imagine what it's like in urban areas-my sympathy to the customers who shop there and the employees who work there.
I've always gotten that vibe a lot more from Target than from Wal Mart. Also have found Target to be much more active in actually prosecuting people for theft and better at building cases over time than Wal Mart.

I agree however there is zero expectation of customer service when entering a Wal Mart Store. However historically Wal Mart has had one of the most liberal return policies in retail. They basically would take back literally anything, and give cash. Now a lot of Wal Mart Stores make up their own policy and do not follow that policy anymore. I had an item I bought from Wal Mart a few years ago that said "5 year warranty" and was a product in one of their brands. It still had a tag with a copyright date so it was evident it had not yet been 5 years. It broke last year and while I should have cut my losses I decided to take them up on the 5 year warranty; Wal Mart's 1-800 number created a case to get manufacturer warranty information, then I got a call from their "private brands" department who told me no problem, just go to the store and they will exchange it for a new one. I eventually got around to doing the exchange. Well, it did not happen the way the corporate number said when I went to the store at all after a clerk, supervisor, and then escalation to someone who claimed to be an "assistant manager" all said no return on the item, and when I said the run around I was getting on this was unacceptable, the "assistant manager" told me to leave the store immediately, so ultimately the corporate number ended up sending me a gift card to go and re-buy the item (the gift card was for multiple times more than the value of the item due to all of the hassle). They printed 5 year warranty on the product- they need to honor it.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: May 26th, 2021, 6:42 pm I agree however there is zero expectation of customer service when entering a Wal Mart Store.
One of the reasons why I don't shop at Walmart is exactly that: terrible "customer service". I haven't stepped foot in a Walmart for a year.
Even before COVID, I only went to Walmart as a last resort (very rarely).