JCPenney Stops Accepting Apple Pay

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

JCPenney Stops Accepting Apple Pay

Post by Alpha8472 »

JCPenney has stopped accepting Apple Pay and other contactless payment methods.

The reason is that they are unable to meet the April 13 requirement to accept contactless EMV cards. JCPenney has decided to stop accepting all contactless payment options including Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 26th, 2019, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Re: JCPenney Stops Accepting Apple Pay

Post by storewanderer »

This is just an excuse and this is a retailer that is out of touch and just needs to go away.

Numerous other retailers are accepting Contactless that did not meet that April 13 deadline set by Visa (none of the other card networks...) to have EMV Contactless up and running. The only major grocers that have EMV Contactless up and running are Safeway and Sprouts, and various scattered smaller chains and independents. Most medium sized grocers like Save Mart, Raleys, Scolaris, Holiday, Trader Joes, Whole Foods even do not have it and continue to accept Contactless just fine.

Nothing but an excuse by JCP to revert back to the past. Just like they couldn't stick to the new merchandising strategy or pricing strategy years ago. Just like they couldn't stick to their new logo. Just like they can't stick to anything. They just need to go.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: April 25th, 2019, 7:09 pm This is just an excuse and this is a retailer that is out of touch and just needs to go away.

Numerous other retailers are accepting Contactless that did not meet that April 13 deadline set by Visa (none of the other card networks...) to have EMV Contactless up and running. The only major grocers that have EMV Contactless up and running are Safeway and Sprouts, and various scattered smaller chains and independents. Most medium sized grocers like Save Mart, Raleys, Scolaris, Holiday, Trader Joes, Whole Foods even do not have it and continue to accept Contactless just fine.

Nothing but an excuse by JCP to revert back to the past. Just like they couldn't stick to the new merchandising strategy or pricing strategy years ago. Just like they couldn't stick to their new logo. Just like they can't stick to anything. They just need to go.
I disagree. JCP has bigger problems than dealing with folks who can't pull a credit card out of their wallet. I applaud them for trying to focus on bigger issues first. They need to fix their merchandise issues before worrying that the 5 people per day who want to use their cell phone to pay don't have a credit card.

The other retailers who haven't set it up are at the same place; the return (and minmal added business) just isn't worth the cost.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: April 25th, 2019, 7:09 pm Nothing but an excuse by JCP to revert back to the past. Just like they couldn't stick to the new merchandising strategy or pricing strategy years ago. Just like they couldn't stick to their new logo. Just like they can't stick to anything. They just need to go.
Going back to the past would be a viable strategy if it was properly executed, like having a full-featured department store that people actually wanted to go to! Changing the logo back to the 1971 logo from the 2011 or 2012 one was a smart move, all things considered.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote: April 25th, 2019, 8:45 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 25th, 2019, 7:09 pm Nothing but an excuse by JCP to revert back to the past. Just like they couldn't stick to the new merchandising strategy or pricing strategy years ago. Just like they couldn't stick to their new logo. Just like they can't stick to anything. They just need to go.
Going back to the past would be a viable strategy if it was properly executed, like having a full-featured department store that people actually wanted to go to!...
I had not been to a Penney's in a few years, but had to do a return and so off to their Tempe, AZ store I went. Could not wait to get out of the place. It looked like someone tried to stuff a Walmart's worth of merchandise into a small Kohl's. Before the ill-fated rebranding/remerchandising/repricing their stores were kind of fun to shop (at least in San Diego). Then Ron Johnson killed it.
pseudo3d wrote: April 25th, 2019, 8:45 pm...Changing the logo back to the 1971 logo from the 2011 or 2012 one was a smart move, all things considered.
Considering many (most?) of their stores still had the old logo, I agree. No one ever called them "jcp." Besides, what the heck is "jcp?" Sounds like an affliction you hear about on cable TV pharmaceutical commercials.
Super S

Post by Super S »

The popularity of this must vary by region. I do not use contactless payment in any form. I also have observed very few people using this method in my area, regardless of what store. At least JCPenney didn't stop accepting certain major credit cards like Kroger has been doing...
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: April 29th, 2019, 7:45 am The popularity of this must vary by region. I do not use contactless payment in any form. I also have observed very few people using this method in my area, regardless of what store. At least JCPenney didn't stop accepting certain major credit cards like Kroger has been doing...
Based on my observations here in Phoenix, I'm usually the only one in line using ApplePay or Google Pay. I do see a few people using Target's app to pay, but at Target the same barcode activates the customer's Red Card (the proprietary debit or credit card) and any Cartwheel offers, so there's a side bennie to using the app.

Here's the thing about implementing technology like ApplePay: even when the customer adoption rate is low, not having the shiny new technology can make a business appear like a laggard. THAT's bad for business. Implementing it and then taking it away gives off the appearance that something went wrong.

That said, I agree that JCPenney disabling ApplePay is less impactful than Kroger's no longer accepting VISA credit cards.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I do not use any of the app payment methods either, although I have gone to cashless methods in most instances.

I remember when JCPenney was planning a while ago to introduce self-checkout at all checkout points, which I found to be a bad idea especially as far as security is concerned. Plus I think going away from manned service desks is a bad idea in general. JCPenney removed the catalog/customer service desk a number of years ago, and I still hear people recently asking if there is a service desk in the store.

Also recall a few years ago, well probably about 2012-13, JCPenney offering mobile checkout via an iPod touch that each associate carried. Seemed a little pointless to me in a clothing store, since folding and bagging had to be done at a service desk anyway. In a store selling large items, it could make more sense, but then still security issues of making sure items have been paid for.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: April 29th, 2019, 9:07 am
Super S wrote: April 29th, 2019, 7:45 am The popularity of this must vary by region. I do not use contactless payment in any form. I also have observed very few people using this method in my area, regardless of what store. At least JCPenney didn't stop accepting certain major credit cards like Kroger has been doing...
Based on my observations here in Phoenix, I'm usually the only one in line using ApplePay or Google Pay. I do see a few people using Target's app to pay, but at Target the same barcode activates the customer's Red Card (the proprietary debit or credit card) and any Cartwheel offers, so there's a side bennie to using the app.

Here's the thing about implementing technology like ApplePay: even when the customer adoption rate is low, not having the shiny new technology can make a business appear like a laggard. THAT's bad for business. Implementing it and then taking it away gives off the appearance that something went wrong.

That said, I agree that JCPenney disabling ApplePay is less impactful than Kroger's no longer accepting VISA credit cards.
I have been observing others using the phone pay more often lately. Specifically at Safeway on multiple occasions I have observed others using phone payment. I've also seen others using it at Save Mart a few times. I doubt it hits 5% of daily transactions, but it has to start somewhere. Contactless cards I do not see many people using even if they are at a Contactless-enabled merchant and have a Contactless-enabled card. I think people simply do not know. This sure isn't Canada where almost everyone is tapping their card. I expect in the next 3-5 years that Contactless Cards and phone payment will be 50% of transactions in the US. Wait and see. And that other 50% will be the few stubborn stores or card issuers that resist Contactless, or card not present transactions.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I've noticed a lot of people use contactless payment methods at Costco as of late, but they attract a higher demographic of shopper, and a younger shopper that is more likely to have up to date gadgets to have those capabilities. (Contactless payments are eventually supposed to be rolled out to the gas stations as well). I highly doubt anyone cares if JCPenney accepts them or not.