Gottschalks - not looking good

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Gottschalks - not looking good

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... S/90306008

I sure hope a buyer who wants to operate at least part of the chain comes forward.
Alpha8472

Re: Gottschalks - not looking good

Post by Alpha8472 »

This is unfortunate. I first heard about Gottschalks when a new store opened up across the street from where I lived at college. I found that the store was sort of like a mini-Macy's. It was expensive, but it was the only department store in all of Davis.

I don't know who would buy all or part of the chain.

Many of the stores are on the small side. The Davis location opened around 2000 and it was built inside of a former Payless. The size of the store was quite small and only one level. Macy's would never take over stores that small. JCPenney and Kohl's might look into the store, but it would still most likely be too small for them. I'd hate to see the store turn into a Ross or any other discount store. Those places are truly and horrendously trashed day and night.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on March 7th, 2009, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Re: Gottschalks - not looking good

Post by storewanderer »

Gottschalks has quite a few smaller stores like that. Auburn, Davis, Elk Grove, Carson City are all quite small. I think they had a similar small store in Danville that they closed pretty fast.

They also have a new construct store up in Bend that is no more than 50,000 square feet I think.