Target Dance Music

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target Dance Music

Post by rwsandiego »

mjhale wrote: June 16th, 2019, 4:58 am Target's recent remodels (ie the Sterling , VA store off Route 7) look like an ode to what they think millennial shoppers want in a store. No problem with them catering to a certain demographic. However as a store they have to consider that folks might come in and go what the heck happened in here I don't feel comfortable anymore and not come back. Target's previous store designs were enough in your face to make you remember them but still comfortable enough for someone who wants a more "tame" shopping experience. Now the remodels just seem in your face for no particular reason. I'm far from a millennial so maybe I just don't get it. However if a store wants to seem like they are catering to a certain demographic I'll shop elsewhere and so will others who don't like the new look. That doesn't seem like a good plan for a mass merchandiser. Better to try to be neutral for all instead of in your face for some.
I guess I'm not sure what is so offensive or inaccessible about the remodels. Not a millennial here (I could have a millennial kid) and like the remodels. They remind me of the department stores I grew up with, like Marshall Field's (the acquisition of which was in large part Dayton's inspiration for bringing themselves up a few notches and Target up in the process) and pre-Bergner's Carson, Pirie, Scott.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

mjhale wrote: June 16th, 2019, 4:58 am Target's recent remodels (ie the Sterling , VA store off Route 7) look like an ode to what they think millennial shoppers want in a store. No problem with them catering to a certain demographic. However as a store they have to consider that folks might come in and go what the heck happened in here I don't feel comfortable anymore and not come back. Target's previous store designs were enough in your face to make you remember them but still comfortable enough for someone who wants a more "tame" shopping experience. Now the remodels just seem in your face for no particular reason. I'm far from a millennial so maybe I just don't get it. However if a store wants to seem like they are catering to a certain demographic I'll shop elsewhere and so will others who don't like the new look. That doesn't seem like a good plan for a mass merchandiser. Better to try to be neutral for all instead of in your face for some.
This is pretty much a summary of Target's remodel program. While it's perplexing as to why said stores are in the suburbs and not the city for them to get these millennial-skewing remodels, they're still using some elements to attract all guests of all types. I don't mind it for the detail and classic department store aesthetic it brings, but I would certainly appreciate a balance with the classic, plain Target stores. I enjoyed how it was a quiet place where you could do enough shopping.

Also, quick question - has your stance changed on their interior design? I recall you preferred the newer Target as it had more ambiance like Walmart does.
omnisuperstore
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by omnisuperstore »

I was in a rather large Target on Elston Avenue in Chicago recently and they now have the music with various ceiling systems throughout the store. The large column mounted PA loud speakers have been removed.

Much like 90 percent of the rest of North American retail they appear to have removed the microphones and formally tied their Phone system into the PA system. When I was at this Elston store, I heard the music stop, a clean page asking team members to come up front to help assist at the checkouts was announced and then the user released the phone and the pa began playing music again. The pa sounded so perfectly tuned that it’s a shame that don’t use it more often.

I think if Target is now playing music they shouldn’t being afraid to maybe have one person designated to make a page once and a while. The employee radios at Target are damn annoying, more than an overhead pa.....”who’s responding, who’s responding?”
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Target store has installed a color changing snack bar cafe room. It looks like a disco room. Not kidding. If you are prone to seizures do not eat here.