Target Closing All Garden Centers by September 2010

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Target Closing All Garden Centers by September 2010

Post by Alpha8472 »

Target announced in March that they will be closing all of their garden centers by September 2010. I have to admit that I never buy anything at their garden centers. If you want really good gardening supplies and plants, you can always go to Home Depot or Lowes.

Target says that their garden centers are no longer profitable for them. I assume that it means that they get very little money from their garden centers. Home Depot and Lowes are way too good at competing with Target in the garden area.

I assume that at some stores, Target can expand their stores into the former garden centers.

The Target in my city has a garden center that is a standalone building across the parking lot from the store. I don't know what they are going to do with this abandoned building. Maybe they can sell it to McDonald's or something. It sits on the corner of the street and was the site of a gas station back when the store was Gemco.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Target Closing All Garden Centers by September 2010

Post by wnetmacman »

Not every Target has a Garden Center. Most don't, as a matter of fact. The few stores that do don't do a big business with them, hence their closure. I only know of one in Louisiana, at the first Super Target in the state in Baton Rouge. Of the remaining 14 or so stores, none of them have one. Seems like Target is shrinking their peripheral departments. Our local store's pharmacy shortened their hours a couple of months ago as well.
trainman
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Target Closing All Garden Centers by September 2010

Post by trainman »

Alpha8472 wrote:I assume that at some stores, Target can expand their stores into the former garden centers.
This already happened a couple years ago as the result of a renovation at "my" Target (Victory and Vineland in North Hollywood, CA). The garden center space was taken up by an expanded grocery department.