Does Walmart own/control outparcels?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Does Walmart own/control outparcels?

Post by cjd »

I was wondering on this. Any of the Walmarts I can think of have the Murphy gas stations on an outparcel, usually to the left of the store, sometimes in front. The one in my town added it adjacent to the property where an old station used to be.

A newer 2007 Walmart in the town south of me has an auto and tire center. There's a Murphy station on one side. Recently a dealership located across a side street from the store built a Kwik Lane tire and oil service shop in the front right outparcel of the Walmart. I was surprised Walmart would allow that, given this store has the auto shop in it.

Another Walmart I can think of has a Wendy's out front as well as a small strip mall with a Verizon, Subway and Little Caesar's. I was surprised they'd put a Subway in there given that the Walmart has a Subway inside also.

Often times I notice many of the 2002 era Walmarts typically have a strip mall with some stores such as Dollar Tree, a Chinese take out and maybe a few other little stores attached to them. One I've seen was quite large with a Hibbett's, Payless, laundromat and H&R Block even. But back in the 90s and again with newer stores that's something I rarely see, they tend to be stand alone stores with only separate outparcels in the front.
pseudo3d

Re: Does Walmart own/control outparcels?

Post by pseudo3d »

I think so, but they end up being sold instead of leased. I guess it depends if it was originally part of the parking lot or not. The local Walmart (again, speaking from experience) shared about four or five outparcels with an Albertsons, which built a few years later. The first was a Circle K (predating the Albertsons), then later in the 1990s, Wienerschnitzel (later Church's Chicken) and a Schlotzsky's Deli was built. It wasn't until the mid-2010s that a Murphy USA station was built.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Does Walmart own/control outparcels?

Post by wnetmacman »

cjd wrote: July 21st, 2019, 3:50 pm I was wondering on this. Any of the Walmarts I can think of have the Murphy gas stations on an outparcel, usually to the left of the store, sometimes in front. The one in my town added it adjacent to the property where an old station used to be.

A newer 2007 Walmart in the town south of me has an auto and tire center. There's a Murphy station on one side. Recently a dealership located across a side street from the store built a Kwik Lane tire and oil service shop in the front right outparcel of the Walmart. I was surprised Walmart would allow that, given this store has the auto shop in it.

Another Walmart I can think of has a Wendy's out front as well as a small strip mall with a Verizon, Subway and Little Caesar's. I was surprised they'd put a Subway in there given that the Walmart has a Subway inside also.

Often times I notice many of the 2002 era Walmarts typically have a strip mall with some stores such as Dollar Tree, a Chinese take out and maybe a few other little stores attached to them. One I've seen was quite large with a Hibbett's, Payless, laundromat and H&R Block even. But back in the 90s and again with newer stores that's something I rarely see, they tend to be stand alone stores with only separate outparcels in the front.
The answer is 'sometimes'. As it depends on how Walmart buys the property.

In many of the pre-2012 Supercenters, Walmart allowed two things: a gas station (Murphy in the South, Midwest and East; Mirastar in the west) and shadow centers. Sometimes they'd allow fast food in, but rarely, as they wanted to have road visibility, and fast food blocks that.

Since 2012, most Supercenters with Gas have Walmart stations with the 'baby Walmart' building. I stopped at a store in Fort Stockton, TX that has this arrangement, and it's a pretty standard convenience store, albeit small. Shadow centers still pop up, but it just simply depends on space. My newest local Supercenter (Carencro, LA #7301) doesn't have the room for anything, even gas, because they fit a 190,000 square foot store on a lot that was initially designated for a 100,000 square foot Home Depot. The shopping center next door counts as its shadow.

Walmart has a realty website: Walmart Realty that shows all current real estate available.