JCPenney slimmed down name brands?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

JCPenney slimmed down name brands?

Post by cjd »

Has anyone noticed JCPenney slimming down on name brand merchandise. I remember JCPenney sold brands like Zoo York, Vans, DC, etc. I've noticed for a while now (probably since the store reopened after the hurricane Irma) that they don't do this anymore. Now it is mostly Arizona brand merchandise. And its mostly just staples such as right now just t-shirts, tank tops, shorts. They do sell jeans but it seems anything more is not there. Of course the regular men's still has a good selection, but the young men's dept just seems to be all cheap stuff.

The shoe department also seems to be downsized quite a bit. It used to be on both sides of the walkway, but now only on one side, about 2/3 to 1/2 what it used to be.

I figured due to the financial issues, JCP has just stopped offering many of the name brands such as the ones I mentioned, and a lot of the shoes. But surprisingly I just went to their website and most of those brands are still listed.

A similar thing happened with Bealls. Being a 'Florida lifestyle' store they'd sell surf brands like Hurley, Billabong, Rip Curl, etc. But lately when I was looking they have stopped offering them except for the O'Neill brand. Sticking mostly with the Salt Life and Columbia brands.

I wonder if possibly also both stores offered these as a test run and just didn't make that many sales. The prices on it was usually not great anyway, and most probably preferred buying those brands at an outlet store.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: JCPenney slimmed down name brands?

Post by wnetmacman »

cjd wrote: July 30th, 2019, 7:57 am Has anyone noticed JCPenney slimming down on name brand merchandise. I remember JCPenney sold brands like Zoo York, Vans, DC, etc. I've noticed for a while now (probably since the store reopened after the hurricane Irma) that they don't do this anymore. Now it is mostly Arizona brand merchandise. And its mostly just staples such as right now just t-shirts, tank tops, shorts. They do sell jeans but it seems anything more is not there. Of course the regular men's still has a good selection, but the young men's dept just seems to be all cheap stuff.

The shoe department also seems to be downsized quite a bit. It used to be on both sides of the walkway, but now only on one side, about 2/3 to 1/2 what it used to be.

I figured due to the financial issues, JCP has just stopped offering many of the name brands such as the ones I mentioned, and a lot of the shoes. But surprisingly I just went to their website and most of those brands are still listed.

A similar thing happened with Bealls. Being a 'Florida lifestyle' store they'd sell surf brands like Hurley, Billabong, Rip Curl, etc. But lately when I was looking they have stopped offering them except for the O'Neill brand. Sticking mostly with the Salt Life and Columbia brands.

I wonder if possibly also both stores offered these as a test run and just didn't make that many sales. The prices on it was usually not great anyway, and most probably preferred buying those brands at an outlet store.
I believe a lot of that is a holdover from the Ron Johnson era, where they were selling 'Store-Within-A-Store' shops. Most of the stores I go to still have a large Levi shop, and also have a few other brands, with focus on Nike, Van Heusen and a few others.

I did go to a store in El Paso at Cielo Vista Mall last week that had lost its Foundry Big and Tall section. That was a huge surprise to me.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It will just keep getting worse for JCP as fewer name brands want to work with them (like Sears). Corporate also sees an opportunity to expand margins by adding in more private labels and it seems like a short term win.

The JCP in Reno, one of its most successful departments at least in terms of foot traffic, historically, was kids. A few years ago they cut the size of the department in half so they could add in appliances and bring back the home department from the home store they closed across the street (I understand having a home department... but something else had to give here). They also cut various women's clothing areas and shoes as well (this store actually has more space devoted to men's clothing than women's, which makes absolutely no sense).

I think what is happening is the full assortment of brands is only being offered in the best performing stores and marginal or lesser performing stores are seeing a lot fewer brands and primarily private label. Many chains do this, not just JCP. Of course that just makes even fewer people shop these marginally performing stores as the stores lose relevance and just hastens their ultimate demise.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Our JCPenney since around the holiday shopping season, has added a large Final Markdown section. It's in a corner near the Men's Big & Tall section. A little while ago it had spilled over into an area near women's lingerie and also included toys.

Looking through it, some of the stuff that's on clearance looks like it may have never actually been sold in the store here.

I noticed that too with the housewares and small appliances. Our store used to have a lot of the small appliances in the back hallway, where the Customer Service/Catalog desk used to be. Then it was where the Toy Department is now. So to make space for that they moved it into where the linens were. The small appliances are really spaced out wide on stainless steel tables, probably to give the illusion that there is more there than there is... They only seem to sell their private Cooks brand. In the past I think they sold Cuisinart and KitchenAid... Like you say the name brands are probably only in the top performing stores.

There used to be a little cove where they had curtains and blinds on display, and a little room back there you could go in where there was a bigger selection. That little cove used to be interesting to me as a kid. I've noticed since the rearranging that they've stuffed that area with comforters, and I think have likely cut down on window treatments, or its only online possibly.