JCPenney Remodels

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

JCPenney Remodels

Post by Alpha8472 »

I visited a JCPenney and it was in the middle of a remodel.

Target has had success with their recent remodels as well as their dance music. Perhaps JCPenney wants to copy this as well.

My local Target installed a color changing snack bar cafe room. It looks like a dance club now. Not kidding.

Perhaps JCPenney could add a cafe and disco room as well.
Super S

Re: JCPenney Remodels

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 1st, 2019, 5:16 pm I visited a JCPenney and it was in the middle of a remodel.

Target has had success with their recent remodels as well as their dance music. Perhaps JCPenney wants to copy this as well.

My local Target installed a color changing snack bar cafe room. It looks like a dance club now. Not kidding.

Perhaps JCPenney could add a cafe and disco room as well.
So...was this a complete remodel of the whole store, or just revamping sections such as the former appliance department and some of the Ron Johnson era departments?

JCPenney does need to do some major updating.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

So far, replacing carpets and rearranging. I do not know how extensive it will be as it only began. This store does not have appliances. The separate furniture store down the street has that.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 1st, 2019, 9:39 pm So far, replacing carpets and rearranging. I do not know how extensive it will be as it only began. This store does not have appliances. The separate furniture store down the street has that.
I am surprised they have any money for that. They need to get the one in Medford, OR remodeled ASAP. Total dive in there; looks like 1988 called and not in a good way. After closing Grants Pass (not sure why...) they could try harder.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

As they are closing all separate furniture outlets, it's possible the main store is receiving some CapEx to refresh it to accommodate more home merchandise.

Most of the successful/large urban-suburban area JCPenney "A" locations received significant CapEx under Ron Johnson's tenure (and a little ahead during Myron Ullman's to add Sephora into most).

After ditching branded shops over the following years (2013 - present), they switched shoes to self-shop and moved into respective mens/womens/childrens departments and reworked the home department floorspace under Marvin Ellison.

JCPenney seems to be advertising summer clothing and 'bargains' in TV advertising (Given, it is still summertime) but Walmart and Macy*s have shifted to back to school messaging. Macy*s ad was showcasing all the name brands their stores carry.

In my hometown (what would probably have been a "B" store in the old days), they remodeled under Ullman to recarpet and reorganize, which is good because the store hadn't seen new carpet since opening in 1986, new paint or department reorganization since sometime in the 1990s.

More recently, the store did receive one of the Sephora store-in-store locations, but the community is pretty well served by cosmetic retailers (other department stores on the mall, Ulta).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The remodel is a total remodel. They are tearing up the carpets and removing walls. They are redoing the walls and totally reorganizing. The old store within a store style is going away.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Where is this JCPenney that is being remodeled?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The store is at Sunvalley Mall in Concord, California. It is a reasonably busy mall, and gets lots of customer traffic. The exterior has not changed much since the 60s.

This store must be doing well to be getting such an extensive remodel.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 29th, 2019, 10:19 pm The store is at Sunvalley Mall in Concord, California. It is a reasonably busy mall, and gets lots of customer traffic. The exterior has not changed much since the 60s.

This store must be doing well to be getting such an extensive remodel.
I find it interesting how JCPenney and others focus so much on the interiors while making virtually no changes to the exteriors. The exteriors on some locations are really looking tired.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

It is possible that this was one of the test stores. The company is currently testing a concept in Fort Worth, TX. (not in the previous Dallas store where Ron Johnson had his "look" on a closed to the public floor)

Here are a few articles about it:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-and-more
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... long-time/