J.C. Penney hires former Shopko executive to aid turnaround

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: J.C. Penney hires former Shopko executive to aid turnaround

Post by storewanderer »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusiv ... 16857.html

Looks like JCP should have kept stores open under limited hours in states or cities with no "stay at home order." What about online sales? They have a functioning website, so I can't understand why they have not been able to drive some sales to that website. It seems like the current CEO of JCP is absolutely terrible at the concept of driving sales (even worse than the last CEO was). I've been seeing a lot of ads and percent off coupons/codes from Kohl's and Macy's the past few weeks but nothing from JCP. In retail you need to keep generating cash flow or you are just completely dead.

Also locally Kohl's is open for curbside pick up during limited hours/days.

Macy's still has a few managers working in the stores to fulfill online orders as well and if you order from them, you will get your order within a few days as they are not very busy. Much faster than Amazon.

Dillard's kept stores open where allowed to at least get some cash flow during this time period. They probably have 50 stores open. Given Dillard's website is basically a joke that barely functions, they would be pretty much screwed by having to close all locations. Probably still losing tons of money, but at least getting some cash flow by keeping some locations open. Given where they operate, less populated places with few virus cases, it is probably an okay strategy, albeit risky if a store becomes a hotspot.
storewanderer

Re: J.C. Penney hires former Shopko executive to aid turnaround

Post by storewanderer »

I took a look at the JCP website and they have all items 25% off coupon if you spend under $75 and higher percent off if you spend over $75.

They also prominently have advertised same day pick up on the website. I added a few items which seemed extremely basic and tried to select same day pick up but the store in Reno shows unavailable for all items. I tried a few other zip codes in CA and had the same result.