Macy’s To Close Downtown Seattle Store!

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Macy’s To Close Downtown Seattle Store!

Post by marshd1000 »

Capital Mall in Olympia could possibly stay around as it is the last one before the Portland area. Downtown Spokane is now a mixed use building, connected by skywalk called “The M”. I think Bellis Fair in Bellingham will be the Northwest Washington Macy’s, drawing from Skagit County and and Canadian shoppers from BC. I am thinking that Wenatchee Vally Mall, and Union Gap’s Valley Mall stores may be ok as they are the only Macy’s in their areas for a 100 miles or so. But that may not save them as Macy’s closed Downtown Missoula, Montana a few years ago and the closest Macy’s to that store is in Helena. I do think Silver Lake Mall in Coeur ‘d Alene could close. That mall is very quiet and too close to Spokane Valley Mall. Interesting note about the CDA Macy’s. Originally it was an experimental clothing only Fred Meyer. Then it was sold to Lamont’s. Then it went Gottschalks, then Bon Marche, Bon-Macy’s then Macy’s.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I've never been particularly impressed with this store, even back in it's Bon Marche form. It tends to be poorly lit, crowded and hard to find things. My guess is that the lower floors will be subdivided and everything above ground level will become office space.

As for the suggestion to open a Whole Foods store there, there's already one a few blocks away at Westlake and Denny.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Brian Lutz wrote: September 29th, 2019, 9:36 am I've never been particularly impressed with this store, even back in it's Bon Marche form. It tends to be poorly lit, crowded and hard to find things. My guess is that the lower floors will be subdivided and everything above ground level will become office space.

As for the suggestion to open a Whole Foods store there, there's already one a few blocks away at Westlake and Denny.
That’s true about there being one near by but maybe with all the new residential, it could possibly support another one. But Amazon did also say that it wants to start a grocer that sells conventional items to compete with the Albertsons and Krogers. This could be a great place for them to experiment with that! Besides the only conventional grocer Inn Downtown Seattle is the Kress IGA on 3rd Avenue!
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote: September 28th, 2019, 6:28 pm Macy's has been closing a lot of the downtown locations that weren't Macy's prior to 2005/2006. The Bon Marché is the latest victim, it seems, but they have done a lot of damage elsewhere. Here's a list of known closures of the old flagships.

Foley's/Houston/2013
Famous-Barr/St. Louis/2013
Burdines/Tampa/2018
Kaufmann's/Pittsburgh/2015
Meier & Frank/Portland/2017

Filene's, Strawbridge's, and Lazarus were closed immediately due to redundancy.
Rich's, Hecht's, The Jones Store and Goldsmith's had already closed their downtown stores.
Robinsons-May never had a flagship (both predecessors already closed).

This leaves only the former Marshall Field's in Chicago intact, but who knows how long it will really last?
Minor correction: The downtown Hecht’s is actually still in operation today and has a direct connection to the Metro, which seems to pull in at least decent traffic. I actually visited this store last year and it seemed to be in reasonably good shape; portions were being actively renovated as well. However, considering the value of DC real estate these days, I definitely would not say that this store is out of the woods yet.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: September 29th, 2019, 8:18 pm
pseudo3d wrote: September 28th, 2019, 6:28 pm Macy's has been closing a lot of the downtown locations that weren't Macy's prior to 2005/2006. The Bon Marché is the latest victim, it seems, but they have done a lot of damage elsewhere. Here's a list of known closures of the old flagships.

Foley's/Houston/2013
Burdines/Tampa/2018

Filene's, Strawbridge's, and Lazarus were closed immediately due to redundancy.
Rich's, Hecht's, The Jones Store and Goldsmith's had already closed their downtown stores.
Robinsons-May never had a flagship (both predecessors already closed).

This leaves only the former Marshall Field's in Chicago intact, but who knows how long it will really last?
Minor correction: The downtown Hecht’s is actually still in operation today and has a direct connection to the Metro, which seems to pull in at least decent traffic. I actually visited this store last year and it seemed to be in reasonably good shape; portions were being actively renovated as well. However, considering the value of DC real estate these days, I definitely would not say that this store is out of the woods yet.
I did a bit more looking into it and found out that the flagship had been replaced in 1985 with a new location, which was far more modest in size at only 275,000 square feet. The flagships on this list had all been open for decades, some even predating World War II.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

That's correct. The flagship Hecht's was on 7th St. They closed it and built the much smaller (essentially suburban mall-sized) store closer to the one of the main Metro stations in DC as well as the other major downtown department stores (Woodward & Lothrop and Garfinckel's.) Both of them would be gone by 1995.
bayford
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by bayford »

Foley's/Houston/2013
Burdines/Tampa/2018
You can add Dayton's former flagship in Minneapolis to this list. Macy's closed there in 2017. The store dated back to the start of Dayton's in the early 1900s.
trainman
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by trainman »

pseudo3d wrote: September 28th, 2019, 6:28 pmHere's a list of known closures of the old flagships.

Burdines/Tampa/2018
This should read Miami.

Tampa's "hometown" department store was Maas Brothers, and their flagship downtown store closed in 1991, a few months before the Maas Brothers name was retired in favor of Burdines. (Both moves were part of Federated's reorganization after their 1990 bankruptcy.)
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

trainman wrote: January 10th, 2020, 1:35 pm
pseudo3d wrote: September 28th, 2019, 6:28 pmHere's a list of known closures of the old flagships.

Burdines/Tampa/2018
This should read Miami.

Tampa's "hometown" department store was Maas Brothers, and their flagship downtown store closed in 1991, a few months before the Maas Brothers name was retired in favor of Burdines. (Both moves were part of Federated's reorganization after their 1990 bankruptcy.)
Which Miami location?

I am certain it cannot be the Dadeland Mall location on Kendall Drive!!!!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

It was the Art Deco warehouse looking downtown (?) Miami location, a few years back.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/busine ... 10309.html