Macy’s To Close Downtown Seattle Store!

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Macy’s To Close Downtown Seattle Store!

Post by marshd1000 »

An era is ending with the Downtown Seattle Macy’s closing. I was holding out a little bit of hope that they would stay in Downtown Seattle as it is now their only location inside the city limits! I was thinking that maybe preserving the downtown store was one reason why Northgate closed, in addition to that mall’s redevelopment! Maybe Kroger should do something experimental like having an urban focused full Fred Meyer in that location! I doubt they would do that as they only do replacement stores and remodels here in the West Coast!

Macy's is closing its landmark downtown Seattle store

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... tle-store/
storewanderer

Re: Macy’s To Close Downtown Seattle Store!

Post by storewanderer »

This is great real estate. Macy's is continuing to monetize its assets.

This store was not particularly great (already downsized once), seemed dated and understaffed when I was there, ran on reduced hours, and I don't think it was really a shopping destination for people who were not already in the area for some other reason. That Men's Store in San Francisco Union Square that they sold for its real estate value and then squeezed men's product into the women's store across the street, that was a great store, ran high sales volume, and was a significant loss as a retail outlet.

Perhaps Amazon will take the remainder of the building and open a Whole Foods at the street level.

This bodes well for Macy's short term financials. It does not bode so well as they keep downsizing in what should be prime retail locations, for their long term viability as a chain. Given more residents are moving into these downtowns, it is interesting they do not see a growth opportunity in the future. A couple new high rises of apartments/condos/offices adds thousands of people to an area.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

storewanderer wrote: September 28th, 2019, 4:13 pm This is great real estate. Macy's is continuing to monetize its assets.

This store was not particularly great (already downsized once), seemed dated and understaffed when I was there, ran on reduced hours, and I don't think it was really a shopping destination for people who were not already in the area for some other reason. That Men's Store in San Francisco Union Square that they sold for its real estate value and then squeezed men's product into the women's store across the street, that was a great store, ran high sales volume, and was a significant loss as a retail outlet.

Perhaps Amazon will take the remainder of the building and open a Whole Foods at the street level.

This bodes well for Macy's short term financials. It does not bode so well as they keep downsizing in what should be prime retail locations, for their long term viability as a chain. Given more residents are moving into these downtowns, it is interesting they do not see a growth opportunity in the future. A couple new high rises of apartments/condos/offices adds thousands of people to an area.
While I had expressed desire for Fred Meyer to do something there, it would totally make sense for Amazon to open a Whole Foods there. While we are at it, there should be a Amazon Go store there and a Amazon Bookstore there. Maybe they could have some kind of Amazon showroom where other things could be on display for ordering online? It’s a great location at a literal crossroads of Seattle! I do miss the days of the Bon Marche at that corner!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

While I am at it, I kind of wonder why Macy’s committed to the Sacramento Downtown Commons project? It’s in a great location but is not as upscale as the other shops and restaurants there! I was there in July and it didn’t seem to have more customers than the Downtown Seattle store! Nordstrom didn’t have a downtown store in Sacramento but it would have been a better fit! I am guessing Macy’s is getting a great tax break for staying in Downtown Sacramento!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

marshd1000 wrote: September 28th, 2019, 4:33 pm While I am at it, I kind of wonder why Macy’s committed to the Sacramento Downtown Commons project? It’s in a great location but is not as upscale as the other shops and restaurants there! I was there in July and it didn’t seem to have more customers than the Downtown Seattle store! Nordstrom didn’t have a downtown store in Sacramento but it would have been a better fit! I am guessing Macy’s is getting a great tax break for staying in Downtown Sacramento!
Macy's closed at Country Club in Sacramento and their Arden Store is kind of undersized (doesn't even have space for Christmas merchandise). That Downtown Sacramento Macy's has never been doing much sales volume, at least in the past 10-20 years. Years ago Macy's had a half built store in a half built mall down in Elk Grove that never opened due to the economy. I think Macy's committing to downtown Sacramento is more about rounding out their presence in the area, than that it is a big retail area (because it isn't).

Also I don't think Downtown Sacramento has nearly the issues with homeless, etc. that Seattle has. Yet. It has issues, but not the magnitude... So maybe the store has less shrink and other security issues to help keep it viable.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I have some other predictions for Seattle area closures. I think the The Commons at Federal Way will close and Cascade Mall in Burlington. Possibilities include South Hill Mall in Puyallup, Kitsap Mall in Silverdale and Capital Mall in Olympia. I am thinking Macy’s will only stay in the largest or strongest malls. The Commons customers could go to Westfield Southcenter or Tacoma Mall. Kitsap May have a chance as it would draw from a large Olympic Peninsula market. But then again, Macy’s May figure that those folks on Olympia and South Hill folks could just go to Tacoma Mall!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

storewanderer wrote: September 28th, 2019, 4:40 pm
marshd1000 wrote: September 28th, 2019, 4:33 pm While I am at it, I kind of wonder why Macy’s committed to the Sacramento Downtown Commons project? It’s in a great location but is not as upscale as the other shops and restaurants there! I was there in July and it didn’t seem to have more customers than the Downtown Seattle store! Nordstrom didn’t have a downtown store in Sacramento but it would have been a better fit! I am guessing Macy’s is getting a great tax break for staying in Downtown Sacramento!
Macy's closed at Country Club in Sacramento and their Arden Store is kind of undersized (doesn't even have space for Christmas merchandise). That Downtown Sacramento Macy's has never been doing much sales volume, at least in the past 10-20 years. Years ago Macy's had a half built store in a half built mall down in Elk Grove that never opened due to the economy. I think Macy's committing to downtown Sacramento is more about rounding out their presence in the area, than that it is a big retail area (because it isn't).

Also I don't think Downtown Sacramento has nearly the issues with homeless, etc. that Seattle has. Yet. It has issues, but not the magnitude... So maybe the store has less shrink and other security issues to help keep it viable.
As for homelessness and shrink, you may be right. I didn’t feel like I had to watch my back there!
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Macy's has been closing a lot of the downtown locations that weren't Macy's prior to 2005/2006. The Bon Marché is the latest victim, it seems, but they have done a lot of damage elsewhere. Here's a list of known closures of the old flagships.

Foley's/Houston/2013
Famous-Barr/St. Louis/2013
Burdines/Tampa/2018
Kaufmann's/Pittsburgh/2015
Meier & Frank/Portland/2017

Filene's, Strawbridge's, and Lazarus were closed immediately due to redundancy.
Rich's, Hecht's, The Jones Store and Goldsmith's had already closed their downtown stores.
Robinsons-May never had a flagship (both predecessors already closed).

This leaves only the former Marshall Field's in Chicago intact, but who knows how long it will really last?
Super S

Post by Super S »

marshd1000 wrote: September 28th, 2019, 4:43 pm I have some other predictions for Seattle area closures. I think the The Commons at Federal Way will close and Cascade Mall in Burlington. Possibilities include South Hill Mall in Puyallup, Kitsap Mall in Silverdale and Capital Mall in Olympia. I am thinking Macy’s will only stay in the largest or strongest malls. The Commons customers could go to Westfield Southcenter or Tacoma Mall. Kitsap May have a chance as it would draw from a large Olympic Peninsula market. But then again, Macy’s May figure that those folks on Olympia and South Hill folks could just go to Tacoma Mall!
A few of these locations could go either way.

The Commons: While Sears has closed, the rest of the mall has rebounded a bit with the addition of Target, Kohl's (a smaller location) and Dick's Sporting Goods. But is in between two larger locations at Tacoma Mall and Southcenter. This location is one story and feels a little dated.

South Hill Mall: The mall seems busy enough, but Macy's is located at the end of a wing practically next to a closed down Sears. This is actually one of the newer locations. However it is in close proximity to Tacoma Mall

Capital Mall: This mall seems to stay busy enough. However, Macy's at one point was closing earlier than the rest of the mall, and this location is one story and also feels a little dated inside. Going south though, this is the last Macy's before Vancouver.

A few in Oregon to watch:

Lloyd Center: 1960s build larger store. The only department store anchor left, and Lloyd Center seems to be struggling as of late to keep tenants despite remodeling.

Tanasbourne: The last location built by Meier & Frank. Seems a little out of place and is not far from Washington Square.

Salem Center: Built as a freestanding store in the late 1950s (but now connected to the mall) by Meier & Frank. Store is showing its age and really needs a remodel. However, the closure of the Lancaster Mall location may keep this one afloat.
Super S

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote: September 28th, 2019, 6:28 pm Macy's has been closing a lot of the downtown locations that weren't Macy's prior to 2005/2006. The Bon Marché is the latest victim, it seems, but they have done a lot of damage elsewhere. Here's a list of known closures of the old flagships.

Foley's/Houston/2013
Famous-Barr/St. Louis/2013
Burdines/Tampa/2018
Kaufmann's/Pittsburgh/2015
Meier & Frank/Portland/2017

Filene's, Strawbridge's, and Lazarus were closed immediately due to redundancy.
Rich's, Hecht's, The Jones Store and Goldsmith's had already closed their downtown stores.
Robinsons-May never had a flagship (both predecessors already closed).

This leaves only the former Marshall Field's in Chicago intact, but who knows how long it will really last?
Also Downtown Boise, a former Bon Marche, in 2010.