JCPenney remodels store into new concept

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

JCPenney remodels store into new concept

Post by Super S »

The location is North East Mall in Hurst, Texas. It also includes a new logo and in some ways reminds me of the older Sears logo:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... hurst.html

At least JCPenney, unlike Sears, looks like it's trying to stay in business.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: JCPenney remodels store into new concept

Post by SamSpade »

A barber shop? That could be good as more malls seem to have changes in the salon/service departments both at anchor and in-line stores.

I think the new Penney's sign is beautiful, personally. That is what our family has called it for years. My mom is the right age for the brief Penney's period earlier in the chain's life. I wonder if they were smart enough to change the exterior and work with the mall on signs.

Rebranding / reorganizing departments is an interesting idea, too.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

That's a beautiful logo, alright. The store looks great in the pictures. I'd certainly shop there.

For that brief shining moment before Ron Johnson ruined the chain some of their stores were fun to shop. I hadn't been in a JCPenney for twenty years until a friend bought a shirt at the Fashion Valley (San Diego) store. I was amazed at the store when I walked in. What made it fun was an ever-changing merchandise mix. After that, I visited at least twice a month.

I checked their website and "JCPenney" is in a different font than it was before.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

rwsandiego wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 10:36 pm That's a beautiful logo, alright. The store looks great in the pictures. I'd certainly shop there.

For that brief shining moment before Ron Johnson ruined the chain some of their stores were fun to shop. I hadn't been in a JCPenney for twenty years until a friend bought a shirt at the Fashion Valley (San Diego) store. I was amazed at the store when I walked in. What made it fun was an ever-changing merchandise mix. After that, I visited at least twice a month.

I checked their website and "JCPenney" is in a different font than it was before.
Looks like the font "Gadget".
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 6:38 am
rwsandiego wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 10:36 pm That's a beautiful logo, alright. The store looks great in the pictures. I'd certainly shop there.

Almost, but not quite the same. The lower-case "e" is slightly different. Regardless, they should have left the iconic wordmark alone until they decided whether to roll out the script logo chain- and website-wide.
Super S

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 6:38 am

I just hope they can pick ONE logo and stick with it. When you go to the "store services" part of their website, you see the slight revision to the main logo at the top, the common logo introduced in the 1970s, and the Johnson-era "jcp" font (without the box) being used to advertise their salons. The logo as used on that concept store is nowhere to be seen on their website.

In all honesty the 1970s JCPenney logo, while simple, has actually aged pretty well. The slight revision makes it look a little more up to date and isn't a drastic change. With that said I do like the one on the concept store.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The newest JCP logo is in a red rectangle....how many times will Penney change it’s logo?
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

jamcool wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 3:12 pm The newest JCP logo is in a red rectangle....how many times will Penney change it’s logo?
Those were their early 2010s logos during the Johnson era. Prior to this change, they utilized the mainstay 70s logo instead.

That being said... plain mediocre JCP logo, poor kerning. Though I can't say that about the Penney's script, it's quite awesome as the interior is. It's definitely a good effort on their part. It certainly looks more traditional than anything else.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

jamcool wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 3:12 pm The newest JCP logo is in a red rectangle....how many times will Penney change it’s logo?
8,236 :)
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

It reminds me of when K-Mart remodeled a few stores into a new concept in the early 2000s: beautiful stores featuring a design K-Mart should've adapted a decade earlier (when it rolled out the "Big K" remodels)... but the chain knowingly lacked the capital to move forward with chainwide remodels. Same concept applies here -- beautiful remodel featuring a design JCP should've adapted a decade earlier... but the chain knowingly lacks the capital to move forward with chainwide remodels.