Sears/Kmart: Will 2020 be the end?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Re: Sears/Kmart: Will 2020 be the end?

Post by Alpha8472 »

The lower case Sears logo is actually not new. It was around back in 1987:

I was at the closing sale of the Kmart in Concord, California today. This store closes tomorrow. It was the nicest and most well kept Kmart that I have ever visited. The store dates back to at least the 80s. There is no Target or Walmart in this city, so Kmart actually did good business and was very nice looking. The pharmacy closed a couple years ago, but the store has always had good business.

The store was mostly empty with only a few displays of junk items left. They were selling expired unheard of brand vitamins, parts of broken cash registers, Kmart floor tiles, Kmart aisle posters ($50), and various junk from the manager's office filing cabinets. It was sad. There were more employees than customers. In fact, there was a security officer in plainclothes watching the shoppers. As if there was anything worth stealing... I assume people were so nostalgic that they even bought the department signs, aisle signs, and the shelves from the store. Most of the shelving and racks were gone.

This will probably be a historic visit for me. I will probably never be able to see another Kmart again in my entire life. All of the other local Kmart stores have closed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Redwood City Kmart is going to start liquidation shortly.

I think the Kmart in Freedom has not yet been announced for closure. Some for Grass Valley, South Lake Tahoe, and McKinleyville. So they are still going to be present in NorCal for now.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:17 pm The lower case Sears logo is actually not new. It was around back in 1987:

I was at the closing sale of the Kmart in Concord, California today. This store closes tomorrow. It was the nicest and most well kept Kmart that I have ever visited. The store dates back to at least the 80s. There is no Target or Walmart in this city, so Kmart actually did good business and was very nice looking. The pharmacy closed a couple years ago, but the store has always had good business.

The store was mostly empty with only a few displays of junk items left. They were selling expired unheard of brand vitamins, parts of broken cash registers, Kmart floor tiles, Kmart aisle posters ($50), and various junk from the manager's office filing cabinets. It was sad. There were more employees than customers. In fact, there was a security officer in plainclothes watching the shoppers. As if there was anything worth stealing... I assume people were so nostalgic that they even bought the department signs, aisle signs, and the shelves from the store. Most of the shelving and racks were gone.

This will probably be a historic visit for me. I will probably never be able to see another Kmart again in my entire life. All of the other local Kmart stores have closed.
That's interesting. The current use of the lowercase logo apparently has been around since 2010, but I don't remember it being used prior to that.

The logo that was being talked about adding to the buildings though is the lowercase one but that also includes the funny looking green symbol after it which just came out last year.

That's how I felt when the Kmart here closed, since I knew it was unlikely I'd ever step for in another, and for that I felt the same for Sears' closing as well.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:17 pm The lower case Sears logo is actually not new. It was around back in 1987:

I think that one is just coincidence, but it does make you wonder when you see how closely it resembles the current logo's font.

Sears has randomly used unofficial lower case (and upper case) logos in their advertising and on their products over the years. I have seen several variations used on 1970s vintage riding mowers as well as various tools. In the 1980s they shifted more towards always using their official logo, particularly when the upper case logo made its debut.

What they are doing with the symbol next to the logo is pretty much a waste of time. The current logo will be associated too much with the downfall of Sears. In the (unlikely at this point) event Sears rebounds, they should ditch the lower case logo entirely.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Sears experimented with a Euro-style lower case logo briefly in the early 80s before adopting the “stripes” Upper-case SEARS logo in 1984.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

jamcool wrote: February 16th, 2020, 11:11 am Sears experimented with a Euro-style lower case logo briefly in the early 80s before adopting the “stripes” Upper-case SEARS logo in 1984.
I think I do recall seeing a lower case logo on some literature from that time period, possibly owners manuals.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

cjd wrote: February 16th, 2020, 10:49 am
Alpha8472 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:17 pm I assume people were so nostalgic that they even bought the department signs, aisle signs, and the shelves from the store. .
That doesn't surprise me in the least and I'm being very serious when I say this that the fixtures (especially the signage) were probably worth more than the merchandise left in the store. I'm a bug when it comes to old retail and have been able to build a rather large collection of "stuff" like this from various chains of yesteryear. Collectors will pay good money for those items.
Super S

Post by Super S »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: February 17th, 2020, 7:42 am
Alpha8472 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:17 pm I assume people were so nostalgic that they even bought the department signs, aisle signs, and the shelves from the store. .
That doesn't surprise me in the least and I'm being very serious when I say this that the fixtures (especially the signage) were probably worth more than the merchandise left in the store. I'm a bug when it comes to old retail and have been able to build a rather large collection of "stuff" like this from various chains of yesteryear. Collectors will pay good money for those items.

There are also instances where signage gets re-used in other stores. I know of one thrift store which made extensive use of 1980s era Montgomery Ward hanging department signage, and it's common to see this when a chain shuts down and leaves stuff behind.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

You see this in basically any store that Ridley's Family Markets takes over from another retailer. They barely touched the Albertsons in Blackfoot, Idaho, that they bought. Looking at pictures on Google Maps, it looks like they kept the Lifestyle interiors on the Safeways they bought in Wyoming.

When I was in the Blackfoot Ridley's a few years ago, I actually saw an Albertsons logo on a small sign on a paperbacks shelf. The store had been Ridley's for at least a few years at that point.
Super S wrote: February 17th, 2020, 8:18 am
TW-Upstate NY wrote: February 17th, 2020, 7:42 am

There are also instances where signage gets re-used in other stores. I know of one thrift store which made extensive use of 1980s era Montgomery Ward hanging department signage, and it's common to see this when a chain shuts down and leaves stuff behind.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I didn't see any decor or signage for sale at the Sears or Kmart closings here. Lots of shelving and overpriced used office stuff like hole punches, staplers or clipboards, some of it broken junk. The more interesting stuff never made it to the sale it seemed.