Sears/Kmart: Will 2020 be the end?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Re: Sears/Kmart: Will 2020 be the end?

Post by Super S »

As we enter December, I am curious if we are entering the final nail in the coffin. The few stores left are not great, the logistics are a challenge at some stores (Southcenter and that Kmart in Hamilton, Montana are two examples, then there is Guam) and COVID 19 has not helped these chains. Craftsman, which was once exclusive to Sears, is also now being established at Lowe's. And Sears and Kmart aren't really advertising any more. The demise has been predicted for a few years now, I think we will see the two brands survive into 2021 but will be surprised if they (or at least Kmart) are still around a year from now.
Groceteria
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by Groceteria »

Sears, Friendly Center, Greensboro NC, this past Saturday. This is a large mid-1970s store that has offloaded about 20% of its square footage to Whole Foods. It was actually better stocked than I expected and there were 10-15 customers inside. But still, the recruitment poster seems like a cruel joke...
EohQhJOW8AEXL5e.jpg
EohRLnLXIAAlVDz.jpg
EohQhJNXcAE2fDf.jpg
EohQhJWXYAAlA2M.jpg
EohQhJRXMAAiPlC.jpg
Super S

Post by Super S »

That Sears looks modern enough in the pictures, but you can tell that inventory is still thin. People move on when stores are poorly stocked.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Groceteria wrote: December 7th, 2020, 2:28 pm Sears, Friendly Center, Greensboro NC, this past Saturday. This is a large mid-1970s store that has offloaded about 20% of its square footage to Whole Foods. It was actually better stocked than I expected and there were 10-15 customers inside. But still, the recruitment poster seems like a cruel joke...

The Sacramento Sears is also surprisingly well stocked... not necessarily stocked with particularly good merchandise, but it is surprisingly well stocked with what it has.

This Greensboro Sears has been posting appliance advertisements on Reddit. I don't seem to know how to link to Reddit.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Big Bear Lake, CA Kmart closure was announced this week. It will close in January. Building was supposedly sold.

Kmart store count is around 33 after this closure.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

storewanderer wrote: December 10th, 2020, 12:00 am Big Bear Lake, CA Kmart closure was announced this week. It will close in January. Building was supposedly sold.

I wonder to whom? Someone from Arkansas?
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: December 10th, 2020, 12:00 am Big Bear Lake, CA Kmart closure was announced this week. It will close in January. Building was supposedly sold.

33 stores, many in far-flung locations hundreds of miles apart. This is exactly what I am talking about when mentioning logistics being a challenge. A store count like that is only sustainable when it's a regional chain with stores clustered in one region. Even factoring in what Sears stores are left, something is going to have to give soon.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

jamcool wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:48 am I wonder to whom? Someone from Arkansas?
This store seems too small for Wal-Mart. I'm thinking if WM bought it, they'd tear it down.
Stater just completed an interior/exterior remodel to its Big Bear store. Vons just did an interior remodel.
I doubt Ralphs would want to enter Big Bear.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:48 am

I wonder to whom? Someone from Arkansas?
That will be a mystery. You cannot look up property ownership (who is the owner) in CA- that is considered personal information that is protected under privacy laws.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

jamcool wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:48 am I wonder to whom? Someone from Arkansas?
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 4:20 pm This store seems too small for Wal-Mart. I'm thinking if WM bought it, they'd tear it down.
Stater just completed an interior/exterior remodel to its Big Bear store. Vons just did an interior remodel.
I doubt Ralphs would want to enter Big Bear.
Although, based on the unusual design of that Kmart (as seen in photos posted somewhere), might this be one of those areas that is more restrictive on stores (such as limiting sizes, perhaps even limits that were added since Kmart was built, and requiring buildings to blend in to the local architecture)?

That might be reason for someone else to buy it out, even if it is smaller than their normal store sizes - and that particular chain has built smaller stores in areas where it was the only way to get into an area (see Vermont), so they are willing to do unusual things if it is needed.