JCPenney considering filing for bankruptcy

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Re: JCPenney considering filing for bankruptcy

Post by Super S »

veteran+ wrote: May 5th, 2020, 5:13 am "the current depressing, dirty, messy, downscale, private label heavy JCP operation at all."

Ummmmm, wow!

I agree that it's probably time for Sephora to part ways with JCP for a plethora of reasons (one being, it was a leap of over expansion any ways).

I'm not a big fan of JCP but I have never been in one that deserves the above description. Where have you seen such a store? Sounds awful!

Sears, Kmart......yes a hundred times. Ross, TJMax and the like, YEP. Even many Walmarts fit the bill.
While I haven't been to a JCPenney that feels dirty or downscale, I can say that the stores are messy. I sometimes buy pants I need for work there, and the last three times nothing was organized and things were piled wherever. I will also say that the fitting rooms at one (Portland's Washington Square) did not even have working locks on the doors and had clothes piled everywhere. I will also say that they are VERY private label heavy these days. While I don't have a problem with that in and of itself, I do have a problem when the private label commands a name brand department store price in some cases, which I have seen at JCPenney on a few items. In many cases the quality is no better (and sometimes worse) than Walmart.

As for depressing? In some cases yes. In addition to the disorganization, some locations do suffer from a lack of staffing and JCPenney still does returns at the registers which can quickly lead to backups especially if you just need to pay.

While I will agree that some JCPenney stores are looking VERY dated on the outside, they have done a reasonably good job keeping the insides updated with lighting, carpet, paint etc. over the years even without major remodels. Although you do see some hints of a store's age such as old air vents, speakers, etc.

I think JCPenney could survive if they had a slightly lower price point and addressed some of the staffing issues, including moving to a dedicated Customer Service desk for stuff like returns, pick-ups, etc.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Super S wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:32 am

I think JCPenney could survive if they had a slightly lower price point and addressed some of the staffing issues, including moving to a dedicated Customer Service desk for stuff like returns, pick-ups, etc.
I think it is too little, too late. Kohl's beat them to the punch and even they aren't doing that wonderfully.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: May 6th, 2020, 11:19 am
Super S wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:32 am

I think it is too little, too late. Kohl's beat them to the punch and even they aren't doing that wonderfully.
Kohl's helps that their average stores are still under 20 years old and somewhat fresh, often in growing areas with a lot of families. JCP Stores are older and it shows, often in malls which are usually not in growing areas.

I see Kohl's surviving (and Dillards, for now). Surviving does not mean thriving. JCP may survive in some form but it probably goes down to 200 stores and it will be interesting to see which stores they decide to keep (the mall stores, or the smaller off mall stores in smaller markets). JCP is so mismerchandised I am not sure what will happen after it shrinks. Macy's seems to make too many drastic moves and I am not really sure what their end game will be. Macy's should survive, but it seems like they just can't settle on a strategy and keep restructuring every year.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

veteran+ wrote: May 5th, 2020, 5:13 am "the current depressing, dirty, messy, downscale, private label heavy JCP operation at all."

Ummmmm, wow!

I agree that it's probably time for Sephora to part ways with JCP for a plethora of reasons (one being, it was a leap of over expansion any ways).

I'm not a big fan of JCP but I have never been in one that deserves the above description. Where have you seen such a store? Sounds awful!

Sears, Kmart......yes a hundred times. Ross, TJMax and the like, YEP. Even many Walmarts fit the bill.
I too would disagree with the first three adjectives. But at least in the JCPenney store here, downscale and private label heavy would describe it pretty well. Very little is a non-JCPenney brand, and what is name brand is usually overpriced. I do like their Arizona jeans, I should look into getting some when this mess is over. I could use some jeans.

Also they used to push name brand kitchen items, now all you see is the "Cooks" brand stuff spread far out, in order to make it look like a bigger selection, in the former linen department.

It may vary by store though, better performers probably have a fuller selection.

At this point Ross is a better store to shop at for what I'm looking for. I would say Marshalls also, but their selection was pretty thin the last few months going into this virus mess.