Boscov's?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Boscov's?

Post by SamSpade »

I just ordered some Father's Day shopping through Boscovs.com
While in the past their CEO has pointed out that they might take a "small batch" of something that a supplier has that a larger retailer might not, I was surprised on the items I ordered that most of the colors and sizes were missing. How do folks think they are doing? Obviously having their store network closed for 8ish weeks (March 17) hasn't been the best.

Living in another part of the country, I do sometimes wish they offered a shipping option that wasn't UPS Ground, but I understand how for eCommerce simplification reasons, that is probably why it is the only one. For their locals, it probably mirrors Amazon/Walmart 2-day shipping timelines in many cases.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Boscov's?

Post by BillyGr »

SamSpade wrote: May 27th, 2020, 12:07 am I just ordered some Father's Day shopping through Boscovs.com
While in the past their CEO has pointed out that they might take a "small batch" of something that a supplier has that a larger retailer might not, I was surprised on the items I ordered that most of the colors and sizes were missing. How do folks think they are doing? Obviously having their store network closed for 8ish weeks (March 17) hasn't been the best.

Living in another part of the country, I do sometimes wish they offered a shipping option that wasn't UPS Ground, but I understand how for eCommerce simplification reasons, that is probably why it is the only one. For their locals, it probably mirrors Amazon/Walmart 2-day shipping timelines in many cases.
Could be that they are just working on selling off what was already in stock (to allow newer items to be stocked for their reopenings), or perhaps they have had issues getting supplies replenished (depending on where their items are made, that would be a sensible reason)?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

After reading this thread I looked at their website. To my surprise, they have a sportcoat in my size (48 XL)! Even Dillard's rarely carries that size. My guess, based on what little information is available about the company other than they had record sales last year, is they are experiencing shortages due to COVID-related supply chain issues. They seem to be opening new stores and doing well financially after recovering from their bankruptcy in 2008.

Fun fact: they carry Preswick & Moore and Architect men's clothing, which Carson Pirie Scott used to carry year and years ago. If memory serves, Carson's carried it pre-Bergner's merger and then Bergner's also started carrying it. Had some suits and shirts back in the day. Great quality. I wish Boscov's had acquired Carson's instead of Bergner's acquiring them. Probably would still be in business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: May 27th, 2020, 10:46 pm After reading this thread I looked at their website. To my surprise, they have a sportcoat in my size (48 XL)! Even Dillard's rarely carries that size. My guess, based on what little information is available about the company other than they had record sales last year, is they are experiencing shortages due to COVID-related supply chain issues. They seem to be opening new stores and doing well financially after recovering from their bankruptcy in 2008.

Fun fact: they carry Preswick & Moore and Architect men's clothing, which Carson Pirie Scott used to carry year and years ago. If memory serves, Carson's carried it pre-Bergner's merger and then Bergner's also started carrying it. Had some suits and shirts back in the day. Great quality. I wish Boscov's had acquired Carson's instead of Bergner's acquiring them. Probably would still be in business.
This is a validation for why these smaller regional chains were valuable and did a good job contributing to retail. They carried a depth of items/brands that are just not carried by the larger national chains.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: May 28th, 2020, 5:36 pm
rwsandiego wrote: May 27th, 2020, 10:46 pm After reading this thread I looked at their website. To my surprise, they have a sportcoat in my size (48 XL)! Even Dillard's rarely carries that size. My guess, based on what little information is available about the company other than they had record sales last year, is they are experiencing shortages due to COVID-related supply chain issues. They seem to be opening new stores and doing well financially after recovering from their bankruptcy in 2008.

This is a validation for why these smaller regional chains were valuable and did a good job contributing to retail. They carried a depth of items/brands that are just not carried by the larger national chains.
Not to mention they catered to the tastes of their local population. Even when Federated, Dayton-Hudson, and May Company were still around, they kept the local banners and often had buyers in the local communities.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Fun fact: they carry Preswick & Moore and Architect men's clothing, which Carson Pirie Scott used to carry year and years ago.
Interesting....I wonder if it is the same manufacturers, or if Boscov's just picked up the name somewhere. I have some Architect stuff from Boscov's...it does its job, but it's nothing fantastic. It usually seems to be used on their 'loss leader' clothing. I got several pairs of Architect shorts last year for like $7-$10 or so.