Kmart now offering lottery tickets

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Kmart now offering lottery tickets

Post by Super S »

I was in Lacey, WA today, and stopped at a Kmart store there. I noticed something I have never noticed at any Kmart (or Target or Walmart) This particular store had Washington scratch-off lottery tickets available in a vending machine. I don't think they were offering Lotto games though. I do not believe all Kmarts are doing this, as I have not seen this in any of the stores in Portland, Oregon, or at the Chehalis, WA location. However, Fred Meyer stores DO sell lottery tickets. Is this something only select Kmarts are doing?
Alpha8472

Re: Kmart now offering lottery tickets

Post by Alpha8472 »

Apparently, there are no California Lottery machines at any of my local Kmart stores.

I have seen lottery machines at Safeway stores in California. I don't know exactly how the lottery stuff works, since I've never bought a ticket. I just know that it uses some kind of scantron form that you bubble in.

I assume that it could be an easy source of revenue for Kmart. However, since so few people even shop my local Kmart, a Lotto machine wouldn't get much business at all.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kmart now offering lottery tickets

Post by BillyGr »

Over here in NY State, our K-Marts have had lottery tickets for several years. They have both a machine with the scratch-offs and a terminal for printing online games (like Powerball, Mega Millions etc.) - of course they also use the terminals to validate winning tickets of all types.

A couple of the stores have just recently introduced new vending machines that offer both scratch offs and some online games as well (as have some other stores - apparently these are the current style).

Most of our grocery stores offer lottery, as do many convenience stores, liquor stores, newstands etc.

It must be dependent on the state and their rules or something.

Another odd example - in MA (and I think also in other states they operated in, but I am not sure) the Brooks Drugstore chain used to sell lottery tickets.

Several years ago, Brooks bought out the Eckerd stores in much of the Northern/Eastern US, but as far as I know they never introduced lottery tickets to those stores, regardless of the state they were in.

Then the Brooks-Eckerd combo was bought out by Rite Aid a couple years back, and the stores that had lottery still sell tickets, but our Rite Aids in NY haven't added this feature (at least not yet, and it's been a bit now).