SteinMart Files for Bankruptcy.

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: SteinMart Files for Bankruptcy.

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: August 16th, 2020, 6:28 pm I always assumed they were a Women's Clothing store up until this thread started. I have never actually been inside one.
I would guess men's clothing was well below 10% of their sales, based on my observations.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

storewanderer wrote: August 15th, 2020, 12:06 pm
buckguy wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:47 am
I doubt that they target over-55s. Even though that group often has a lot of disposable income,--they don't buy a lot of new stuff. Something resembling fashion usually targets 18-49 year olds with more preference for the younger end.
What they targeted and what they got may be two different things... but they absolutely were not targeting 18-40 year olds... maybe 40-49 year olds...
Uhm, that was my point.

They're Florida-based now but they began in Greenville, Mississippi and initially expanded from there to Memphis and then Nashville, where I first saw them.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote: August 16th, 2020, 6:28 pm I always assumed they were a Women's Clothing store up until this thread started. I have never actually been inside one.
The men's department at the few stores I visited was very small. In fact, I almost missed it at the Poway, CA store (my first Stein Mart foray).
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

SamSpade wrote: August 15th, 2020, 12:57 am Tyler, Texas' was in a strange shopping center from what I recall. Maybe years ago good trade, but didn't seem that way in 2016. But, by the main post office. :lol:
Somewhat ironically, the Tyler store was originally built as a higher-end grocery store out of Dallas (I forgot which chain) which only remained open for a couple of years. At this point, a Marshalls moved in and operated in the space until the early 90's, where it moved south as part of a new retail strip where it is still located today. After Marshalls' departure, Stein Mart took over the space (and expanded it to the north; the original portion of the space has a large open ceiling with exposed fluorescent lighting somewhat reminiscent of a Marina Safeway). By the time of Stein Mart's opening, most of the retail growth had shifted to far south Tyler between Loop 323 and Grande Blvd (which later pushed even further south with the opening of a new Walmart Supercenter and a replacement Target store in 1998). The saving grace of Stein Mart's Tyler location was the fact that it was still in a frequently traveled area for many residents and had excellent visibility. The store was also located close to much of the Tyler "old money" clustered in the Azalea District to the north. Overall, it had a good run and seemed to pull decent traffic considering the size of the market.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

architect wrote: August 17th, 2020, 8:40 pm
SamSpade wrote: August 15th, 2020, 12:57 am Tyler, Texas' was in a strange shopping center from what I recall. Maybe years ago good trade, but didn't seem that way in 2016. But, by the main post office. :lol:
Somewhat ironically, the Tyler store was originally built as a higher-end grocery store out of Dallas (I forgot which chain) which only remained open for a couple of years. At this point, a Marshalls moved in and operated in the space until the early 90's, where it moved south as part of a new retail strip where it is still located today. After Marshalls' departure, Stein Mart took over the space (and expanded it to the north; the original portion of the space has a large open ceiling with exposed fluorescent lighting somewhat reminiscent of a Marina Safeway). By the time of Stein Mart's opening, most of the retail growth had shifted to far south Tyler between Loop 323 and Grande Blvd (which later pushed even further south with the opening of a new Walmart Supercenter and a replacement Target store in 1998). The saving grace of Stein Mart's Tyler location was the fact that it was still in a frequently traveled area for many residents and had excellent visibility. The store was also located close to much of the Tyler "old money" clustered in the Azalea District to the north. Overall, it had a good run and seemed to pull decent traffic considering the size of the market.
There is a Stein Mart in Palm Springs on the corner of Tahquitz and Palm Canyon Drive that was an early Ralphs Fresh Fare prototype, without the name Fresh Fare.

Quite beautiful with attractive stone brick work.

Clean and neat Stein Mart.................but not great customer service and laughable product mix.
klkla

Post by klkla »

veteran+ wrote: August 18th, 2020, 7:11 amThere is a Stein Mart in Palm Springs on the corner of Tahquitz and Palm Canyon Drive that was an early Ralphs Fresh Fare prototype, without the name Fresh Fare.

Clean and neat Stein Mart.................but not great customer service and laughable product mix.
I remember when that store opened. I'm pretty sure that was one of Ralphs first stores in the Palm Springs area. It was way ahead of it's time architecturally but poorly located and was never very successful.

When Vons bought Safeway's SoCal division they decided to sell the older but higher volume Vons in Smoke Tree Village and keep the newer but lower volume Safeway in Rimrock Plaza. Ralphs has been very successful in the former Vons location for for over 30 years. While the Vons in Rimrock has been an a medium volume store at best for all these years.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

klkla wrote: August 18th, 2020, 6:48 pm
veteran+ wrote: August 18th, 2020, 7:11 amThere is a Stein Mart in Palm Springs on the corner of Tahquitz and Palm Canyon Drive that was an early Ralphs Fresh Fare prototype, without the name Fresh Fare.

I remember when that store opened. I'm pretty sure that was one of Ralphs first stores in the Palm Springs area. It was way ahead of it's time architecturally but poorly located and was never very successful.

When Vons bought Safeway's SoCal division they decided to sell the older but higher volume Vons in Smoke Tree Village and keep the newer but lower volume Safeway in Rimrock Plaza. Ralphs has been very successful in the former Vons location for for over 30 years. While the Vons in Rimrock has been an a medium volume store at best for all these years.
I managed that Smoketree Ralphs and it struggled for a long time before the remodel. After remodel it competed with the Large Ralphs down the street. Both stores do okay volume. The area is very seasonal and not the easiest to manage.

The Vons at Rimrock was so bad it almost closed before remodel.
klkla

Post by klkla »

veteran+ wrote: August 19th, 2020, 5:38 am I managed that Smoketree Ralphs and it struggled for a long time before the remodel. After remodel it competed with the Large Ralphs down the street. Both stores do okay volume. The area is very seasonal and not the easiest to manage.

Interesting. By big store do you mean the store that replaced the old Alpha Beta? I have a friend that drives past that store and goes to the one in Smoketree for some reason. He just doesn't like that store.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

klkla wrote: August 19th, 2020, 11:44 am
veteran+ wrote: August 19th, 2020, 5:38 am I managed that Smoketree Ralphs and it struggled for a long time before the remodel. After remodel it competed with the Large Ralphs down the street. Both stores do okay volume. The area is very seasonal and not the easiest to manage.

Interesting. By big store do you mean the store that replaced the old Alpha Beta? I have a friend that drives past that store and goes to the one in Smoketree for some reason. He just doesn't like that store.
Yes. it was a Mid-Century Modern Alpha Beta.

And yes, the store does not have a good reputation with customer service. We, at the SmokeTree store would lobby to get problem employees transferred to that Big Ralphs down the street.
klkla

Post by klkla »

veteran+ wrote: August 20th, 2020, 5:56 am We, at the SmokeTree store would lobby to get problem employees transferred to that Big Ralphs down the street.
Good strategy!