Century 21 files for bankruptcy and will close all of its stores

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Century 21 files for bankruptcy and will close all of its stores

Post by mbz321 »

Main blame is on Covid and insurers refusing to payout for business losses.
New York (CNN Business)New York department store chain Century 21 filed for bankruptcy Thursday and said it will shut down its business.
Century 21 has 13 stores mostly in the New York City and the surrounding metropolitan area. The company blamed the lack of payment on its business interruption insurance as the cause of its demise.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/business ... index.html
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Century 21 files for bankruptcy and will close all of its stores

Post by SamSpade »

Crud. That’s another strike on that newly reopened Philadelphia center city mall.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Century 21 files for bankruptcy and will close all of its stores

Post by mbz321 »

SamSpade wrote: September 10th, 2020, 2:05 pm Crud. That’s another strike on that newly reopened Philadelphia center city mall.
Yep, being from the Philly suburbs, that was my first thought, although the whole re-do of the mall was poorly thought out from the get-go. It's the same run of the mill stores (besides maybe for the Armani outlet) that you find anywhere else. Although the responses on a Philly-based forum to this stores closure were basically, 'meh'. The general conscious is that the store was good when it first opened, but lately the merchandise was either too expensive or too 'cheap' like Marshall's/Burlington (which has a store at the mall as well) level. I would love to see Boscov's make a go of a store in Center City, but I doubt it.