Walmart+

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Walmart+

Post by J-Man »

Walmart+ debuted this week. . There seems to be a lot of confusion out here -- people are comparing it to Amazon Prime, which to me is apples and oranges, as the new free delivery benefit in Walmart+ applies to deliveries from stores, not shipping from walmart.com (which is already free for purchases over $35.)

And this is coming right on the heels of Walmart's partnership with Instacart. So is Instacart providing the Walmart+ deliveries, or is that a whole separate operation?
storewanderer

Re: Walmart+

Post by storewanderer »

It seems like the Instacart thing was announced after this program was announced as "coming soon" - I thought this was a separate program from Instacart. Maybe something changed given the delay in rolling this out.

This is definitely not Amazon Prime.

Irony is you can get many Walmart.com purchases shipped free to store with no minimum purchase amount.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

I've been surrounded by a lot of Walmart+ ads recently. They don't lay out what it means, other than it is "a different kind of membership program" or something close to that in messaging for now.

I suppose the idea is that if you were a Walmart shopper (especially Walmart.com) you'll stumble along and find more information. :lol:

The fuel discount is definitely not helpful in this part of the country, but in others it might be. Of course most right now are looking for value wherever it can be found.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: September 29th, 2020, 10:27 am I've been surrounded by a lot of Walmart+ ads recently. They don't lay out what it means, other than it is "a different kind of membership program" or something close to that in messaging for now.

I suppose the idea is that if you were a Walmart shopper (especially Walmart.com) you'll stumble along and find more information. :lol:

The fuel discount is definitely not helpful in this part of the country, but in others it might be. Of course most right now are looking for value wherever it can be found.
Maybe Walmart+ should include a free Sam's Club membership (they practically give them away on Groupon anyway), that would give a little better access to gas discounts in some places. It still wouldn't be any help in the Pacific Northwest where Sam's Club is either gone or nearly gone.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

I read something elsewhere about a customer who had his Walmart+ delivery made by DoorDash. I guess I'm a little confused about how this all works -- are they contracting with local delivery services for this purpose? I know they have a new partnership with Instacart, but maybe Instacart is actually shopping and delivering independently of Walmart+, whereas the new service might have Walmart employees doing the order picking and then having it delivered by a contracted service.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

J-Man wrote: September 30th, 2020, 7:30 am I read something elsewhere about a customer who had his Walmart+ delivery made by DoorDash. I guess I'm a little confused about how this all works -- are they contracting with local delivery services for this purpose? I know they have a new partnership with Instacart, but maybe Instacart is actually shopping and delivering independently of Walmart+, whereas the new service might have Walmart employees doing the order picking and then having it delivered by a contracted service.
I actually signed up for a year of Walmart+ (I have a 2 year old, a 3 year old, and my wife works long hours so going to Walmart is a royal pain for me). The way it appears to work is that Walmart does the shopping the same as their "order pickup" service but instead of bringing the groceries to my car they contract with DoorDash to bring the groceries to my house. I've had 3 deliveries so far and I'm really happy with the service.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: November 20th, 2020, 5:06 pm
I actually signed up for a year of Walmart+ (I have a 2 year old, a 3 year old, and my wife works long hours so going to Walmart is a royal pain for me). The way it appears to work is that Walmart does the shopping the same as their "order pickup" service but instead of bringing the groceries to my car they contract with DoorDash to bring the groceries to my house. I've had 3 deliveries so far and I'm really happy with the service.
When I looked over the benefits, there does not appear to be a shipping benefit if you order via Walmart.com for non-grocery products? If you place a grocery order and hit the $35 could you add a few Walmart.com non-grocery items that totaled under $35 and get free shipping? Or is this tied to the grocery.walmart.com so that wouldn't work?
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that would work. However, there are lots of non-perishable grocery-type items that you can order for shipping from the non-grocery side of Walmart, so you could always add some of those to reach the $35 threshold.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

J-Man wrote: November 21st, 2020, 7:53 am I don't know for sure, but I don't think that would work. However, there are lots of non-perishable grocery-type items that you can order for shipping from the non-grocery side of Walmart, so you could always add some of those to reach the $35 threshold.
I've noticed with Target where grocery is on a single platform with everything else, you can do a total $35 order and do some ship and some pick up and as long as the total between both is $35 you will get the free shipping.

The normal Wal Mart website (not the grocery.walmart.com) works the same way.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Walmart drops the $35 minimum for free shipping for Walmart+ members.

Obviously to compete with Amazon Prime, and makes it a much better deal than before.