Macy's Christmas Ad - Thumbs Up or Down?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Macy's Christmas Ad - Thumbs Up or Down?

Post by SamSpade »

I honestly didn't pay any attention to this ad the first time I heard the audio in the background.
Tonight, I saw it and paid attention.
AdAge article - outlines concept
View ad here (iSpot)
I actually really like this ad -
1) Socks are a good little gift, one of the managers I work with gives them out to clients and such as thank yous
2) Socks are something a child (or parent shopping with a child) can afford and are practical
3) It's actually much less commercial than the other stores which are mainly screaming about "Black Friday all month! Black Friday now! Spend, spend, spend." It's a good reminder that everyone appreciates gifts, even modest ones
4) It's a subtle nod to the pleasures of in person shopping and traditions that tend to happen in November and December (the wreath merchant, the specialty food merchant, the independent bookseller)
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Macy's Christmas Ad - Thumbs Up or Down?

Post by rwsandiego »

I like it! A very sweet, low-key commercial that ticks a number of boxes:
  • A Black family enjoying a holiday together
  • The thought behind a gift is more important than the gift itself
  • Businesses, large and small, should be supported
  • Macy's supports all of the above
Thinking about other ads which, as @SamSpade said, scream "buy a lot and do it here!!!" it captures the spirit of Christmas and makes me want to shop at Macy's.
storewanderer

Re: Macy's Christmas Ad - Thumbs Up or Down?

Post by storewanderer »

It is a great commercial to promote a practical gift.

Socks are a great practical gift - but does Macy's have the assortment and variety of socks necessary to meet demand?

Take a look at Macy's sock assortment vs. that of, say, Kohls, Target or Wal Mart...

Fred Meyer has done a sock sale for decades on Black Friday, it is one of their "things." They probably have (or used to have, who knows after the past couple years) a better sock assortment than Macy's.

I'd like to see promotion in the Macy's Store of socks in conjunction with this commercial. Perhaps satellite displays away from their usual location. I was in Reno Macy's last weekend for 2-3 hours and saw nothing of that nature. Just the usual (small, overpriced) sock assortment they've always had, not prominently displayed.