Sephora to move to Kohl's

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Sephora to move to Kohl's

Post by Super S »

https://retailwire.com/discussion/sepho ... ls-stores/

This will bring some traffic to Kohl's, but this also shows a lack of confidence in the future of JCPenney.
pseudo3d

Re: Sephora to move to Kohl's

Post by pseudo3d »

When they built the Sephora in the local JCPenney, it really screwed up the traffic flow of the store and made the store even more of a dated, confusing mess than it was (mirrored columns, low lighting). I'd hate to see the Kohl's get mangled the same way. And what of the Sephora stores inside of JCPenney? A lot of them were purpose-built, what could they use the space for?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:43 am When they built the Sephora in the local JCPenney, it really screwed up the traffic flow of the store and made the store even more of a dated, confusing mess than it was (mirrored columns, low lighting). I'd hate to see the Kohl's get mangled the same way. And what of the Sephora stores inside of JCPenney? A lot of them were purpose-built, what could they use the space for?
JC Penney will need to demolish the Sephora spaces and just convert it back to normal sales floor again. I wonder who is responsible for that. I don't think Sephora is going to want a bunch of "Sephora look a like" empty spaces in the middle of JC Penney Stores...

I think they can fit the spaces into the Kohls okay. Given most Kohls are a single floor facility, they have higher ceilings to work with. They can put them basically right behind Jewelry (there is already a wall between Jewelry and Accessories in the larger Kohls of the early 00's).
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 12:29 am
pseudo3d wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:43 am When they built the Sephora in the local JCPenney, it really screwed up the traffic flow of the store and made the store even more of a dated, confusing mess than it was (mirrored columns, low lighting). I'd hate to see the Kohl's get mangled the same way. And what of the Sephora stores inside of JCPenney? A lot of them were purpose-built, what could they use the space for?
JC Penney will need to demolish the Sephora spaces and just convert it back to normal sales floor again. I wonder who is responsible for that. I don't think Sephora is going to want a bunch of "Sephora look a like" empty spaces in the middle of JC Penney Stores...

I think they can fit the spaces into the Kohls okay. Given most Kohls are a single floor facility, they have higher ceilings to work with. They can put them basically right behind Jewelry (there is already a wall between Jewelry and Accessories in the larger Kohls of the early 00's).
Most of these that I have seen in JCPenney were located in existing space, and it won't be too difficult to convert many of these back...things like ceilings remained the same, and the Sephora walls aren't load-bearing. It will probably get converted to regular sales space, much like what Kmart did with former restaurant spaces.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 12:29 am I don't think Sephora is going to want a bunch of "Sephora look a like" empty spaces in the middle of JC Penney Stores...
And neither will Kohl's for that matter.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 12:29 am JC Penney will need to demolish the Sephora spaces and just convert it back to normal sales floor again.
Just what they don't need. What will they fill that space with? Probably more apparel that won't sell.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Sephora might be responsible for demolishing the space as part of their termination agreement with JCP.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 12:29 am I think they can fit the spaces into the Kohls okay. Given most Kohls are a single floor facility, they have higher ceilings to work with. They can put them basically right behind Jewelry (there is already a wall between Jewelry and Accessories in the larger Kohls of the early 00's).
Looking at the photo with that article, it almost looks like they might be just inside one of the doorways (in those stores with the two entries, anyhow), since the one doorway was all done over with their name/color scheme?

Seems that could make sense, though it also might be more sensible if it was further in, to require those looking for these items to pass other stuff they might be interested in en route (that was an issue with Kmart way back, putting the more frequently bought consumable "pantry" near the registers, not making those coming for that travel through the remainder of the store).
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

klkla wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 12:24 pm Sephora might be responsible for demolishing the space as part of their termination agreement with JCP.
JC Penney already announced a rollout of a new cosmetics department. Why would they demolish it? They will just remove the Sephora branding and replace the merchandise. Will it work? Only time will tell.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 5:46 pm
klkla wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 12:24 pm Sephora might be responsible for demolishing the space as part of their termination agreement with JCP.
JC Penney already announced a rollout of a new cosmetics department. Why would they demolish it? They will just remove the Sephora branding and replace the merchandise. Will it work? Only time will tell.
It would be for debranding purposes so they do not present themselves as a knockoff Sephora or debranded Sephora look-a-like. Remember those JCP Sephora counters are staffed by Sephora employees and have Sephora fixtures, etc. They do have a JC Penney cash register but the cash handling is about the only thing JC Penney does for those Sephora departments.