Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by veteran+ »

Makes you just wanna say..................die already.........die!!

LOL

Sears, Kmart, Frys, et al...................
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Lowe’s seems to promote Craftsman more than its own Kobalt brand.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: January 17th, 2021, 6:49 am Makes you just wanna say..................die already.........die!!

LOL

Sears, Kmart, Frys, et al...................
I just wonder how they staff these chains... but I guess a... I will try to be as polite as possible... less than dynamic chain, would not be the right fit more an ambitious or dynamic motivated employee anyway due to lack of opportunity to move up and lack of excitement. I mean, Kmart doesn't even ask if you want to apply for a Sears card anymore. That is when you know it is over.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

jamcool wrote: January 17th, 2021, 7:32 am Lowe’s seems to promote Craftsman more than its own Kobalt brand.
I would think the Kobalt brand will eventually go away, given them and Craftsman items seem around the same quality/pricepoint.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

mbz321 wrote: January 18th, 2021, 7:27 am
jamcool wrote: January 17th, 2021, 7:32 am Lowe’s seems to promote Craftsman more than its own Kobalt brand.
I would think the Kobalt brand will eventually go away, given them and Craftsman items seem around the same quality/pricepoint.
Keep in mind Craftsman is owned by Black and Decker. It's no longer a store brand sold by a single retailer. It's now no different than carrying Stanley, Ryobi, or other brands. I could see Lowe's keeping a house brand.
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: January 18th, 2021, 10:36 am
Keep in mind Craftsman is owned by Black and Decker. It's no longer a store brand sold by a single retailer. It's now no different than carrying Stanley, Ryobi, or other brands. I could see Lowe's keeping a house brand.
I have noticed Kobalt is being downplayed a bit at Lowe's in favor of Craftsman, and Lowe's is also stocking other Craftsman branded items such as lawn mowers. They are in a good position to offer this as their house brand with the demise of Sears, but Lowe's would have to have some kind of ownership stake in the Craftsman name for that to happen.

I will also say that the local Ace Hardware (now closed) was replacing some of their Ace branded tools with Craftsman as they were selling out and restocking, but it was not consistent.

Craftsman is still a successful brand, but its future depends on supplier quality (which was slipping before Black & Decker gained control) as well as distribution. Craftsman seems to come and go at some stores, and nobody carries the entire lineup like Sears did.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

babs wrote: January 18th, 2021, 10:36 am

And they also own STANLEY!!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

On the clothing side, Joe Boxer and Everlast and on the soft home side (what little they have) Canon brand items are all being discontinued...

I think these may be the last of the old pre-bankruptcy brands left.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: January 19th, 2021, 10:02 pm On the clothing side, Joe Boxer and Everlast and on the soft home side (what little they have) Canon brand items are all being discontinued...

I think these may be the last of the old pre-bankruptcy brands left.
I've seen a lot of Cannon brand items popping up at closeout stores like Ollie's as of late. I guess Sears skipped out on their supplier bills.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 8:54 am

I've seen a lot of Cannon brand items popping up at closeout stores like Ollie's as of late. I guess Sears skipped out on their supplier bills.
Kmart got quite a few new Cannon items in October/November, I was really surprised. All very basic merchandise, which they should have been carrying for the rest of 2020 (but weren't), but was surprised to even see it.