Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by storewanderer »

J-Man wrote: July 11th, 2021, 7:17 am
Alpha8472 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 3:42 pm The Kmart in South Lake Tahoe, California is closing August 22 and the Watsonville Kmart is closing in August. There will only be 1 Kmart left in California in Grass Valley.
I don't know how accurate it is, but their website shows that the Ramona and McKinleyville stores are still open.
It is not accurate. Those two stores are both closed. This is why it has gotten a little fuzzy to figure out how many Kmarts are still open/not in liquidation. But there are so few left I can tell you as far as the west and I use the term west loosely goes you have Grass Valley, CA and you have Hamilton, MT. There is nothing else in AZ, OR, WA, ID, UT, CO, WY, NM, TX, KS, OK, MO, as far as Kmart goes. Next Kmart from Grass Valley and Hamilton would be Marshall, MI.

Also you can go onto the Sears Auto website and actually schedule auto service appointments via online portal at closed auto centers, such as Sacramento, CA.
timanny
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by timanny »

Astor Place in NYC (former Wanamaker's, across from Cooper Union) closed today. Employees did not know until they came to work today. Apparently they're being evicted for not paying their bills. I was there two weeks ago, it was devoid of customers and looked sad but was stocked. Lampert can go to the fiery place.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

timanny wrote: July 11th, 2021, 4:54 pm Astor Place in NYC (former Wanamaker's, across from Cooper Union) closed today. Employees did not know until they came to work today. Apparently they're being evicted for not paying their bills. I was there two weeks ago, it was devoid of customers and looked sad but was stocked. Lampert can go to the fiery place.
What was it stocked with?

Did they have any aisles/parts of the store closed off?

I find it odd they had to do a sudden closure on a store they were actually stocking with merchandise. Though it is possible if they were doing little business that merchandise had been there for a number of months.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:22 am
timanny wrote: July 11th, 2021, 4:54 pm Astor Place in NYC (former Wanamaker's, across from Cooper Union) closed today. Employees did not know until they came to work today. Apparently they're being evicted for not paying their bills. I was there two weeks ago, it was devoid of customers and looked sad but was stocked. Lampert can go to the fiery place.

I find it odd they had to do a sudden closure on a store they were actually stocking with merchandise. Though it is possible if they were doing little business that merchandise had been there for a number of months.
It's hard to pay bills when you aren't getting many customers. Expect more of this at both Kmart and Sears.
storewanderer wrote: July 11th, 2021, 11:28 am
J-Man wrote: July 11th, 2021, 7:17 am
Alpha8472 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 3:42 pm The Kmart in South Lake Tahoe, California is closing August 22 and the Watsonville Kmart is closing in August. There will only be 1 Kmart left in California in Grass Valley.
I don't know how accurate it is, but their website shows that the Ramona and McKinleyville stores are still open.
It is not accurate. Those two stores are both closed. This is why it has gotten a little fuzzy to figure out how many Kmarts are still open/not in liquidation. But there are so few left I can tell you as far as the west and I use the term west loosely goes you have Grass Valley, CA and you have Hamilton, MT. There is nothing else in AZ, OR, WA, ID, UT, CO, WY, NM, TX, KS, OK, MO, as far as Kmart goes. Next Kmart from Grass Valley and Hamilton would be Marshall, MI.

Also you can go onto the Sears Auto website and actually schedule auto service appointments via online portal at closed auto centers, such as Sacramento, CA.
A couple months back I was up in Lacey and noticed the Sears store had all of its signage still up, as well as banners over the closed auto center, which was odd. It also appears that they might be using this location as an appliance storage/repair facility or just a parking area as there was a fleet of A&E Factory Service vans parked outside. I wonder if those types of uses cause locations to show as open.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

It simply could be they're just not maintaining the store locator anymore which wouldn't be surprising because they gave up a long time ago even appearing to be a viable going concern. They're not even going through the motions anymore. Maybe you can't get blood from a stone but Eddie is sure trying to.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: July 12th, 2021, 9:38 am It simply could be they're just not maintaining the store locator anymore which wouldn't be surprising because they gave up a long time ago even appearing to be a viable going concern. They're not even going through the motions anymore. Maybe you can't get blood from a stone but Eddie is sure trying to.
Somebody needs to write a book about Fast Eddie.
Found this book however: Kmart's Ten Deadly Sins:https://www.forbes.com/2003/10/10/1010k ... f79161aa1e
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

There was a tell-all about 8-10 years ago in dBusiness or Crain's Detroit Business--didn't seem to get much traction past that.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

The Astor Place and Penn Station spaces would work great for Walmart.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

babs wrote: July 12th, 2021, 8:53 pm
The Astor Place and Penn Station spaces would work great for Walmart.
I'm buying lottery tickets and going to Vegas if Walmart actually opens a store in one of the five NYC boroughs!

But seriously NYC seems hostile to Walmart and I don't see it meeting Walmart's financial needs ie run it as cheaply as possible.
timanny
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by timanny »

storewanderer wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:22 am

Nothing was blocked off, the layout was odd for a KMart, but it's Manhattan. They had a fair amount of clothing and a decent frozen food section, as well as what looked like seasonal summer merchandise when you walk from the Astor/Lafayette corner. It was two floors, the bottom had what looked like an entrance to the subway, but it looked like nobody used it.