Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by storewanderer »

Also since when did it get referred to as "Sears Department Stores."

Also isn't the Mexico group changing its name to something else.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

I am quite surprised about the article - I thought that was real. I'd say it's in a middle-ground between a true article and satire in that it really tries to feel real.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Grass Valley, CA Kmart is closing in December.

Liquidation sale will be starting in the next few days.

Probably my last time in a non-liquidating Kmart was today. End of an era for sure. RIP. Lots of memories.

Guess I should comment on store condition: toy aisles are really lightly stocked. They have a lot of Christmas Trees but I am not sure if they are this year's or leftovers from last year or a mixture. Some other random Christmas items mostly generic items but did see one Jaclyn Smith item and one Trim a Home series of towels. Looks like they have received a lot of home/pet/drug from C&S but also saw some weird drug items in unknown labels including some Rubbing Alcohol and some Hydrogen Peroxide that were in an unfamiliar label and said Product of India. Clothing is still quite full; weird brands.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: October 16th, 2021, 10:44 pm Grass Valley, CA Kmart is closing in December.

Liquidation sale will be starting in the next few days.

Probably my last time in a non-liquidating Kmart was today. End of an era for sure. RIP. Lots of memories.

Guess I should comment on store condition: toy aisles are really lightly stocked. They have a lot of Christmas Trees but I am not sure if they are this year's or leftovers from last year or a mixture. Some other random Christmas items mostly generic items but did see one Jaclyn Smith item and one Trim a Home series of towels. Looks like they have received a lot of home/pet/drug from C&S but also saw some weird drug items in unknown labels including some Rubbing Alcohol and some Hydrogen Peroxide that were in an unfamiliar label and said Product of India. Clothing is still quite full; weird brands.
Well, that's the last Kmart in California. Now I'll have to drive over 17 hours to go to Kmart in Hamilton, MT. Not that I want to anyways.
Amazing that it lasted this long.
I heard this store had a profitable pharmacy (which kept it open). Who's buying the prescription records?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 5:31 pm
Well, that's the last Kmart in California. Now I'll have to drive over 17 hours to go to Kmart in Hamilton, MT. Not that I want to anyways.
Amazing that it lasted this long.
I heard this store had a profitable pharmacy (which kept it open). Who's buying the prescription records?
No word on the prescriptions yet but expect something to come out in the next couple weeks. I am guessing they decided not to negotiate into pharmacy networks in 2022 and the timing of the closure was to keep the pharmacy going as long as possible. They are doing immunizations in that pharmacy too (COVID, Flu). Existing pharmacies in the area are quite busy- would be optimal if someone bought this and opened a new pharmacy up. Neither Grass Valley Safeway has a pharmacy (one store is too small, the other has or previously had a lease restriction).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Kmart would sell the pharmacy records to the pharmacy chain that offers the highest price for those records. Usually it would be either CVS or Walgreens. I would would think that it would be CVS. Walgreens is usually not interested in money losing Medicaid patients.

The reason why pharmacies are eager to do vaccinations is that vaccinations make much more money than prescriptions. A single Shingrix vaccination is equal to the profit of many prescriptions and takes just minutes to administer.

Kmart could open up vaccination only clinics and make tons of money.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 7:19 pm Kmart would sell the pharmacy records to the pharmacy chain that offers the highest price for those records. Usually it would be either CVS or Walgreens. I would would think that it would be CVS. Walgreens is usually not interested in money losing Medicaid patients.

The reason why pharmacies are eager to do vaccinations is that vaccinations make much more money than prescriptions. A single Shingrix vaccination is equal to the profit of many prescriptions and takes just minutes to administer.

Kmart could open up vaccination only clinics and make tons of money.
Assuming Target is taking the store over which is what I believe is the current plan they could slot CVS in as typical.
Super S

Post by Super S »

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/11/09 ... years-end/

This report, as well as several others I have read, are saying that Kmart will have SIX stores left in the Continental U.S. by year's end. And the few remaining stores are desperate for workers, some offering up to $25 an hour.

I think this is it for Kmart.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Super S wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:25 pm https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/11/09 ... years-end/

This report, as well as several others I have read, are saying that Kmart will have SIX stores left in the Continental U.S. by year's end. And the few remaining stores are desperate for workers, some offering up to $25 an hour.

I wonder if Walmart will buy the stores in the territorial US?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:25 pm https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/11/09 ... years-end/

Well, it was a long run. Who would have thought Kmart would make it this long?

Meanwhile in Guam no sign of anything
https://www.facebook.com/KmartGuam7705/