Macy's 2021: 45 locations to close by the Summer

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Macy's 2021: 45 locations to close by the Summer

Post by mbz321 »

Macy’s has notified the employees at about 45 of its department stores that they will close by the middle of this year, CNBC has learned.

The closures are part of a previously announced plan by Macy’s to shut 125 locations by 2023, which the retailer outlined last February.

“As previously announced, Macy’s is committed to rightsizing our store fleet by concentrating our existing retail locations in desirable and well-trafficked A and B malls,” a spokeswoman told CNBC in a statement.

“To that end, we announced several store closures today that align to the guidance we provided in February 2020,” she said. “These closures bring us closer to achieving the right mix of mall-based stores.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/05/macys-s ... -plan.html
storewanderer

Re: Macy's 2021: 45 locations to close by the Summer

Post by storewanderer »

West coast closures:

Hilltop Mall, Richmond, CA (no surprise at all)
Northtown, Spokane, WA
Idaho Falls, ID
Paradise Valley, AZ
Commons, Federal Way, WA
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Hilltop Mall in Richmond, California is now called The East Bay Science and Technology Center. Not kidding. Sears closed in April 2020 and JCPenney closed in 2017. The only anchors left are a Non-Supercenter Walmart that is 3 levels and a 24 Hour Fitness. The 24 Hour Fitness is closed due to pandemic restrictions.

This mall is beyond dead. It is ready to be bulldozed. Supposedly the owners are trying to get tech companies to come here and turn this place into a live and work destination with hotels, office space, a cinema, etc. Most hotels and all cinemas are closed due to pandemic restrictions. People are working from home, so office space is looking bleak.

If you want to get shot in the parking lot or carjacked this is the place. This former mall was the most dangerous mall in Northern California. There is limited public transit via a few buses. I rode a bus there from the train station a few years ago. It was a long and scary ride.

Walmart does decent business. Walmart opened in 2007 in an abandoned Macy's building. It has shopping cart escalators to move carts between the multiple levels. Macy's took over the Emporium Capwell building in 1998.

I do not know how Macy's survived for so long. Perhaps their rent was very low.

I suppose they could build a gated community here. They would need a Berlin Wall type of barrier. I visited a gated condominium complex in Richmond and it was actually very nice and felt safe. The prices were very good for the Bay Area and there was a wall that surrounded the complex. Cars can enter via electronic gates.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on January 6th, 2021, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Paradise Valley is no surprise. The mall developers haven't made a secret that want everyone out in order to redevelop it and there are 2 nearby stores at Biltmore Fashion Park and Scottsdale Fashion Square.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

To me, both Northtown and Grand Teton are surprising but when I told my mom about it she said "Macy's has been pretty disappointing for awhile."

The old Bon Marche (and really Meier & Frank) footprint of this chain is almost gone. I think we're down to the Willamette Valley and core population center along Puget Sound with these latest announcements.

I believe Brian has written about "The Commons" on here recently, it's definitely a lower tier center between core Seattle and Tacoma.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

There is still a store in Boise that was a former Macy's (Boise Towne Square), and possibly a few in Montana.

Macy's has gone from 5 stores in Southern Idaho (Nampa, Boise, Twin Falls, Pocatello and Idaho Falls) to one.

Off the top of my head, closed Bon locations include Twin Falls, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Helena, Downtown Spokane, Downtown Seattle, Downtown Portland. Casper also closed, but I'm not sure if this was a former Macy's.

At this point they might as well have not even bought The Bon.
SamSpade wrote: January 6th, 2021, 8:14 am To me, both Northtown and Grand Teton are surprising but when I told my mom about it she said "Macy's has been pretty disappointing for awhile."

The old Bon Marche (and really Meier & Frank) footprint of this chain is almost gone. I think we're down to the Willamette Valley and core population center along Puget Sound with these latest announcements.

I believe Brian has written about "The Commons" on here recently, it's definitely a lower tier center between core Seattle and Tacoma.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

kr.abs.swy wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:43 am There is still a store in Boise that was a former Macy's (Boise Towne Square), and possibly a few in Montana.

Macy's has gone from 5 stores in Southern Idaho (Nampa, Boise, Twin Falls, Pocatello and Idaho Falls) to one.

Off the top of my head, closed Bon locations include Twin Falls, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Helena, Downtown Spokane, Downtown Seattle, Downtown Portland. Casper also closed, but I'm not sure if this was a former Macy's.

Don't forget the old C.C. Anderson aka the downtown Boise Bon Marche. That was a fun store.
Walla Walla, Wash. was closed last year (small downtown store)
Lancaster Mall, (now called Willamette Town Center) Salem, which was always Bon, not M&F
Everett Mall, Everett, Wash.
Cascade Mall, Burlington/Mount Vernon, Wash.

In the Spokane area this leaves:
  • Silver Lake Mall/Center (JCPenney is vacating), Coeur d'Alene. It looks like Brookfield recently offloaded this real estate.
  • Spokane Valley Mall (this is healthier than NorthTown?!?) - actually, looking at online photos, this store is newer and in nicer shape so although the other mall could be *stronger* overall, this one would probably require less investment if they are going to keep one location in the region that fits in their plans/strategy
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Small market and declining malls predominate. Some I thought were already closed (Marlow Heights, College Mall, Greenbriar). A few surprises like Great Lakes Mall (a somewhat declining mall in Ohio but when where I would have expected Dillard to go down first.

Here is a full list:

1. Paradise Valley, AZ
2. El Cajon Parkway, CA
3. Hilltop, CA
4. Brass Mill Center, CT
5. Crystal Mall, CT
6. Port Charlotte Town Center, FL
7. Volusia Mall, FL
8. Greenbriar, GA
9. Hyatt Regency (Maui), HI
10. Grand Teton Mall, ID
11. Water Tower Place, IL
12. College Mall, IN
13. Marlow Heights, MD
14. Independence Center, MO
15. Northpark Mall, MO
16. West Park Mall (MO), MO
17. Sangertown Square, NY
18. White Plains Galleria, NY
19. Great Lakes Mall, OH
20. Richland Mall, OH
21. Tri-County Mall, OH
22. The Avenue Carriage Crossing, TN
23. Old Hickory Mall, TN
24. Golden Triangle, TX
25. Post Oak Mall, TX
26. Rivercenter, TX
27. Rolling Oaks, TX
28. Vista Ridge Mall, TX
29. Commons at Federal Way, WA
30. Northtown, WA
31. Monterey, CA (Furniture)
32. Winter Haven, FL
33. Cambridgeside, MA
34. Lima, OH
35. Lloyd Center, OR
36. Santa Monica, CA (Bloomingdale’s)
37. South Towne Center, UT

Already Closed:
1. Park Place, AZ
2. Oakbrook, IL (Furniture)
3. Woodfield, IL (Furniture)
4. Commack, NY
5. Eastland, OH (Furniture Clearance)
6. Harrisburg, PA
7. Medinah Temple, IL (Bloomingdale’s)
8. Southwest Plaza, CO*
9. Dover Mall, DE*

Southwest & Dover will serve as "fulfillment centers"
Super S

Post by Super S »

kr.abs.swy wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:43 am There is still a store in Boise that was a former Macy's (Boise Towne Square), and possibly a few in Montana.

SamSpade wrote: January 6th, 2021, 8:14 am To me, both Northtown and Grand Teton are surprising but when I told my mom about it she said "Macy's has been pretty disappointing for awhile."

Casper, and most of the locations in Idaho and Montana were former Bon locations. The Nampa store was a standalone unit opened by Macy's and replaced the Karcher Mall store originally.

The Commons sends mixed signals. It struggled for a while, got some new life with Target, Kohl's, and Dick's Sporting Goods, now Sears and Macy's closing leaves 2 empty anchors.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Parkway in El Cajon, CA doesn't surprise me. This was a Robinsons-May (and a trashy one, at that) and the mall is not quite a "Macy's" type of mall. Water Tower Place in Chicago does and doesn't surprise me. The store always has been busy when I visited (the surprise) but it is a mile away from the State Street flagship that makes Water Tower look like a Penny's (the not a surprise). I was surprised when they opened a Bloomingdales in downtown Santa Monica, so this comes as no surprise.