Macy's 2021: 45 locations to close by the Summer

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
MSSportsGuy
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Re: Macy's 2021: 45 locations to close by the Summer

Post by MSSportsGuy »

I predicted a couple of weeks ago on a different thread here the Macy's in Collierville, TN, would not survive. The Memphis area currently has three and when the first rumblings of store closings were announced a couple of years ago I wondered if two of them would survive.

The Collierville store is kind of a shame because it's not very old and is in a beautiful building but the entire shopping center has struggled since it opened and there are many empty stores. The two remaining locations in Memphis are both in shopping malls that have seen their better days and I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them disappear if closings continue, which I believe will happen.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Kind of surprised about Port Charlotte Towncenter. I haven't been there in several years, but I was under the impression that was a very good upscale location. If they couldn't make it there it makes me wonder how many closures are to come. Of course, PCT could be well in a decline these days.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:08 pm Kind of surprised about Port Charlotte Towncenter. I haven't been there in several years, but I was under the impression that was a very good upscale location. If they couldn't make it there it makes me wonder how many closures are to come. Of course, PCT could be well in a decline these days.
How many of the "new" Macy's Stores opened in the past 10-15 years have closed? I don't mean conversion, I mean actual new stores. I think there have been a few haven't there?
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: January 12th, 2021, 11:27 pm
How many of the "new" Macy's Stores opened in the past 10-15 years have closed? I don't mean conversion, I mean actual new stores. I think there have been a few haven't there?
The Macy's in Nampa, Idaho was one. They moved from Karcher Mall to the new Nampa Gateway Center in a new, freestanding building in 2009, and closed in 2017. Ironically, JCPenney also opened a new store in new, freestanding building next door at around the same time and remains open. JCPenney left Karcher Mall when Boise Towne Square opened and this was their return to Nampa.