Target 2021

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Target 2021

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

First time I set foot in the local Target in about three months (not a full blown shopping trip but just to buy one large item-probably wasn't in the building 5-7 minutes) and saw something very interesting at the checkouts and was wondering if anyone else has seen this as well. The cashiers now have chairs similar to an Aldi-type set up. They resembled tall bar stools with a back rest. I'd never seen that there before. Is that a trend or just a one-off to a particular store or area? Also saw something interesting with the self checkout. As I'm walking up to the front, I noticed a line forming and I'm not exactly thrilled about having to stand anywhere in one spot for very long these days. I then got closer and realized the back up was at the self checkout and at the few open registers the cashiers were just standing (or now sitting) there with nothing to do. I went to one of those registers (no line) and probably was exiting the store with my purchase all bought and paid for within maybe a minute. The point being is why use the self checkout (with all the hassles associated with it) when you could've gotten a better experience at a register-at the very least, your purchases would've been bagged for you.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Target 2021

Post by babs »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: February 19th, 2021, 9:32 am First time I set foot in the local Target in about three months (not a full blown shopping trip but just to buy one large item-probably wasn't in the building 5-7 minutes) and saw something very interesting at the checkouts and was wondering if anyone else has seen this as well. The cashiers now have chairs similar to an Aldi-type set up. They resembled tall bar stools with a back rest. I'd never seen that there before. Is that a trend or just a one-off to a particular store or area? Also saw something interesting with the self checkout. As I'm walking up to the front, I noticed a line forming and I'm not exactly thrilled about having to stand anywhere in one spot for very long these days. I then got closer and realized the back up was at the self checkout and at the few open registers the cashiers were just standing (or now sitting) there with nothing to do. I went to one of those registers (no line) and probably was exiting the store with my purchase all bought and paid for within maybe a minute. The point being is why use the self checkout (with all the hassles associated with it) when you could've gotten a better experience at a register-at the very least, your purchases would've been bagged for you.
I haven't seen Target checkers sitting. I have seen the longer lines at self checkout than at the regular checkstands. Personally, I prefer self checkout. After having too many odd conversations with cashiers or just weird comments about what I am buying, I personally prefer to not have any human interaction checking out.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

I live fairly close to a pretty excellent Target in a solidly middle-class area in first-ring Detroit...their food offerings are amazingly good--I always compliment the food staff there because they do a great job. Other stores in the area should take lessons. Just had a delivery order sent with some shelf-stable items--one of which (grated parm cheese) was very short dated--I Karened, complained and they took it off the bill.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Romr123 wrote: February 19th, 2021, 1:43 pm I live fairly close to a pretty excellent Target in a solidly middle-class area in first-ring Detroit...their food offerings are amazingly good--I always compliment the food staff there because they do a great job. Other stores in the area should take lessons. Just had a delivery order sent with some shelf-stable items--one of which (grated parm cheese) was very short dated--I Karened, complained and they took it off the bill.
I have noticed at the Sparks Target the food looks pretty good. However the Sparks Target is surrounded by apartments and the nearest grocery stores or grocery alternatives are all a mile or two away (take your pick- Safeway, Food Maxx, Smiths, 99 Cents Only, Grocery Outlet). Produce looks fresh and rotated and there is a good assortment of meat and bakery items to select from. At the Reno Target, which also has a lot of apartments nearby (not quite surrounded) but also more grocery competition within less than a mile (Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Wal Mart, and a Save Mart; Safeway failed twice in this radius first with a Pak N Save for about 2 years in the late 80's then again with a 1996 Safeway that lasted about 10 years); the entire area looks picked over. It is never fully stocked and what is there is often expiring that day or should be pulled (old produce). Both stores seem pretty busy overall. Then there is the Carson City Target which was just remodeled according to a banner out front (it was actually remodeled in 2019), they did not even add fresh food into the remodel there, despite that the nearest grocery options are a couple miles away (Wal Mart and Trader Joes) and you are like 5 miles from a conventional (a very sad Save Mart and an okay Raleys).
bayford
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by bayford »

Romr123 wrote: February 19th, 2021, 1:43 pm I live fairly close to a pretty excellent Target in a solidly middle-class area in first-ring Detroit...their food offerings are amazingly good--I always compliment the food staff there because they do a great job. Other stores in the area should take lessons. Just had a delivery order sent with some shelf-stable items--one of which (grated parm cheese) was very short dated--I Karened, complained and they took it off the bill.
I really like what Target is doing with their Good & Gather brand. The quality vs. price is generally excellent as far as private labels go.

As to chairs at the register, I haven't seen that at any local Targets in the past year, but it's not a bad idea. I've long thought the German custom of having the cashier sitting down at the checkout should be more widespread than it is.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart was sued for not having chairs at their cash registers. There was a huge judgment against Walmart. Target is probably trying to avoid the potential for getting sued.

The Walnut Creek, California Target that was famously looted in the riots 2020 is getting a remodel. It received a total brand new remodel to the Next Gen decor inside and out only about 6 months before the riot. The floors and exterior were completely redone as well as the Ceilings. Now the entire exterior is being redone. The exterior was faux brown wood. Now the wood is being removed. Perhaps the faux wood was too ugly. I do not know if they are installing steel garage roll down doors. A nearby Walmart that was looted and set on fire received steel roll down doors to prevent looting. Perhaps this Target is being turned into a fortress. The store was on TV when thousands of looters drove in from all over Northern California. It was like a war zone for days.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 10th, 2021, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The local store here in Lake Stevens got remodeled with the brown wood look exterior, but I noticed the last time I was there that they were removing it there as well. Maybe Target is rethinking that particular decor package?
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Brian Lutz wrote: April 9th, 2021, 9:04 am The local store here in Lake Stevens got remodeled with the brown wood look exterior, but I noticed the last time I was there that they were removing it there as well. Maybe Target is rethinking that particular decor package?
This is something me and others have been noticing about Targets that have the new wooden cladding. One of my stores that had it, however, now has white signage on a beige wall.

Perhaps the materials were defective? Or was it just temporary, to advertise remodels?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The faux wood paneling was intended to be long term. However, the wood panels had lots of gaps and it looks like there is extensive water damage from rain getting in around the gaps.

Target made a huge amount of profit from the hoarding. They are Rremodeling around 200 stores. The Target near me is having a huge area of the parking lot being converted to drive up and go for online pick-up. The previous set up of 2 spaces for online pick-up was always crowded. It was too difficult to find a spot. Target apparently thinks that drive up is the way of the future. Will this not be labor intensive? There will have to be about 5 to 10 people running around the store personal shopping for people and then running out to the parking lot.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Everett Target store appears to have removed the wood paneling as well, and replaced it with similar paneling in the usual Target red color. Maybe they just decided that the wood paneling wasn't visible enough?