Target Closing 2 Small Stores in the San Francisco Bay Area

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Target Closing 2 Small Stores in the San Francisco Bay Area

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:40 am Same thing in Dickson City, Pa. (just outside Scranton) although not a Super Target.
Do they sell Dunder Mifflin paper products there? :lol: :lol:
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

And in comparison, even in their two Detroit City stores (which have somewhat edited hardlines--fewer electronics, for instance) , Meijer has service meat/fish, has a bake-off bakery with donut case and sliced-to-order deli and hot case, carries both conventional and organic produce (doing enough business that rotation is never a problem). They run their own dairy (fluid milk/ice cream). Shopping at their Detroit 8 mile store--you're really not wanting for anything. Only criticism I have of this store (which has got to be one of their most challenging/least cookie-cutter) is that they don't have enough room or variety of fluid milk/fluid soymilk...the store has now been open very successfully for 7 years, and even is UFCW. Lots to like and respect.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

SamSpade wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:18 am Portland's downtown Target relocation to the first floor is almost complete. Local media are starting to report the change. Babs had previously mentioned this. Obviously it will be one of these "new" stores as leasing only the first floor of the building will even further shrink their footprint. I believe they had a stock room on the first floor along with the freight elevators necessary to reach 2nd and 3rd floors and a large entryway to the guest elevator bays that went from level 1 to level 2. This will all now be unnecessary.
Target will shrink downtown store
The reporter did not note the new store's square footage. I will say for 89,000 square feet before, it always felt limited from a customer perspective.
I haven't had the opportunity to checkout the new store on the first floor. The current two level store had a lot of wasted space with the escalator atrium, entry escalator opening, wide aisles, way oversized and poorly designed checkstand area and also carried things that made you scratch your head like children's clothing and toys. Each floor in that building is 40,000 sq ft so I figure the store will be about 35,000 sq ft. However, with a good layout the store could have nearly the same selection as the old store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:02 pm I haven't had the opportunity to checkout the new store on the first floor. The current two level store had a lot of wasted space with the escalator atrium, entry escalator opening, wide aisles, way oversized and poorly designed checkstand area and also carried things that made you scratch your head like children's clothing and toys. Each floor in that building is 40,000 sq ft so I figure the store will be about 35,000 sq ft. However, with a good layout the store could have nearly the same selection as the old store.
Well, to give them some credit on this downsize of the Portland location, they have years of sales data on the old larger store to use to fine tune the assortment in the smaller space. And as you point out things like escalators and oversized checkouts/entryways take up a lot of room.

I feel like the store in Downtown Seattle is larger than 40,000 square feet... but it may not be. The one off Market Street in San Francisco (one of the first City Targets) feels larger but is one where you enter on the first floor and shop on the second floor.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:53 am
TW-Upstate NY wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:40 am Same thing in Dickson City, Pa. (just outside Scranton) although not a Super Target.
Do they sell Dunder Mifflin paper products there? :lol: :lol:
I'll check next time I'm in the area- :mrgreen:
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The first CityTarget in San Francisco was 98,000 Square feet including the first floor lobby with a Starbucks and the plexiglass house of the future exhibit. It has revolving glass doors like a hotel lobby and huge tall escalators leading to the main shopping level on the second floor. The store looks huge as there are giant panoramic windows over looking Yerba Buena gardens. It is like a giant park right in the heart of downtown. This Target has an abundance of natural light. There is a food court below Target and a multi-plex cinema with IMAX above. This gives the Target store the appearance of a giant tower.

There is a second 119,000 square foot CityTarget which was originally a huge multiple level Sears department store with a tall tower visible from far away. It used to have a giant S on it. The building had fabulous art deco style when it was a Sears. It was split up into Best Buy and Toys R Us after Sears closed in the 90s.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:00 am
babs wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:02 pm I haven't had the opportunity to checkout the new store on the first floor. The current two level store had a lot of wasted space with the escalator atrium, entry escalator opening, wide aisles, way oversized and poorly designed checkstand area and also carried things that made you scratch your head like children's clothing and toys. Each floor in that building is 40,000 sq ft so I figure the store will be about 35,000 sq ft. However, with a good layout the store could have nearly the same selection as the old store.
Well, to give them some credit on this downsize of the Portland location, they have years of sales data on the old larger store to use to fine tune the assortment in the smaller space. And as you point out things like escalators and oversized checkouts/entryways take up a lot of room.

I feel like the store in Downtown Seattle is larger than 40,000 square feet... but it may not be. The one off Market Street in San Francisco (one of the first City Targets) feels larger but is one where you enter on the first floor and shop on the second floor.
Downtown Seattle is 96,000 sq ft. Another store with a goofy layout. But seems to do a solid business.

I wonder if the downsized Portland store opens up the opportunity for a second store in the Pearl District. It was rumored at one point that REI might move to South Waterfront and Target would take over their old location. That's now off the table but Target's may still be interested in a Pearl location.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

babs wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:02 pm
SamSpade wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:18 am Portland's downtown Target relocation to the first floor is almost complete. Local media are starting to report the change. Babs had previously mentioned this. Obviously it will be one of these "new" stores as leasing only the first floor of the building will even further shrink their footprint. I believe they had a stock room on the first floor along with the freight elevators necessary to reach 2nd and 3rd floors and a large entryway to the guest elevator bays that went from level 1 to level 2. This will all now be unnecessary.
Target will shrink downtown store
The reporter did not note the new store's square footage. I will say for 89,000 square feet before, it always felt limited from a customer perspective.
I haven't had the opportunity to checkout the new store on the first floor. The current two level store had a lot of wasted space with the escalator atrium, entry escalator opening, wide aisles, way oversized and poorly designed checkstand area and also carried things that made you scratch your head like children's clothing and toys. Each floor in that building is 40,000 sq ft so I figure the store will be about 35,000 sq ft. However, with a good layout the store could have nearly the same selection as the old store.
I stopped by the downtown Portland Target today. The new store on the first floor is mostly open. Only thing left to do is take over the space where the escalator lobby to the old store. This is where the Starbucks is going and the permanent location of the checkstands. Probably a few months away from that part being completed.

The layout is pretty much what I expected. Narrow aisles with a focus on food, health, cosmetics with a tiny bit of electronics, home and even a toy aisle.
There is a small clothing area in the middle. At the front it's all self checkout.

The prior store felt like the best of Target. This one one feels like a large drugstore. But the one thing I noticed most, the store felt busy even on a Sunday afternoon. The prior store never felt busy. 20 shoppers in this store will make it feel like it's hopping where as the prior store would have felt empty.

I think this was the right move. I can see this store doing better. But it's now a store for life's basics. They've lost that sense of discovery that you get at a regular Target.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Target is apparently closing it's store in downtown San Francisco on Mission St. between 3rd and 4th St.

Per the article the store loses $25,000 a day in shoplifting.

https://californiaglobe.com/local/san-f ... 6k5P1kxTgk
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

That was the first CityTarget ever built in San Francisco. 2012 was first time that Target opened a store in San Francisco.

Previously, there were no Target stores. People had to buy from high priced Walgreens or Safeway. There were no other major big box discount stores in San Francisco.

It was a different city back in 2012. The homeless population was much lower than it is now. There were no huge tent cities filled with homeless people. The city was for the most part very clean and vibrant.

I visited the store and was amazed at the new Target decor that eventually inspired the current Target decor that is currently in use in new Target stores. The icons on the department signs first appeared at CityTarget. CityTarget had decor that featured the San Francisco skyline and local sports teams.

This Target had huge glass windows that allowed views of Yerba Buena Gardens. It was like having a garden outside the entire store. This building is a marvel of architecture that I had never seen before. There were glass revolving doors and huge escalators. This was a one of a kind Target. The plexiglass house of the future under the store is a fun place to visit. There is also a huge food court under the store. You can look down and see the people eating in the food court through glass windows in the floors.