Fred Meyer & Target changes - 2021

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Fred Meyer & Target changes - 2021

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: April 6th, 2021, 8:57 pm
It was opportunistic. Ray's couldn't gain a lot of traction in Coos Bay - McKay's and Safeway are basically institutions in town. Coos Bay's Safeway used to be off 4th street where Bi-Mart is now (I remember going in there with my grandfather as a kid). If I remember correctly, the box was vacant for a bit before Safeway moved in - they expanded (and moved) both the Coos Bay and North Bend stores around the same time. Safeway in North Bend was where Big 5 and Dollar Tree are now at Pony Village Mall.
McKay's seems to hold its own. They keep very fair prices for a small chain supplied by Supervalu/UNFI. They won against Safeway in Myrtle Point. I think McKay's did have a store in Brookings decades ago which became Grocery Outlet possibly under the Price N Pride banner.

Ray's... does not seem to compete well against anything. They have closed stores in cases where they are the only store in town. (with the next store being in the next town 10-15 minutes away). I have really tried to like Ray's over the years but questionable quality (likely due to how few customers they have) and horrible pricing really don't make it easy. I think their quality is actually okay if you can get to one of their stores that has some foot traffic. They do maintain a surprising depth of items considering the size of their stores and the level of customers they have.

I am surprised Fred Meyer did not take the Ray's building when it was vacant and try to do something with it. I wasn't sure if the building was vacant or was sold to Safeway as an operating store. If it was vacant, too bad Fred Meyer didn't jump on it. Not ideal to split the store but they did have some split stores elsewhere.