Walmart Stores Losing McDonald's & Add Domino's Pizza & Taco Bell

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Walmart Stores Losing McDonald's & Add Domino's Pizza & Taco Bell

Post by babs »

pseudo3d wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:35 pm
babs wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:27 am I continue to think some type.of Coffee Shop, perhaps a resurrection of Seattle's Best, Dunkin or Tim Hortons might be the best fit. Or launch their own along the lines of Costco's food court. But I think Walmart just wants the rent payments and really could care less what goes in there.
They used to have their own in-house concept, Radio Grill, but they discontinued that years ago. A coffeeshop takes up less space than the current restaurant spaces, but given that I haven't heard much from Walmart's pilot test of their in-house coffeeshop kiosks, LiftOff (and Yelp reviews have it as closed, not sure if it was COVID related or not), I'm guessing that LiftOff "exploded in mid-flight".

The grocery stores figured out a long time ago that their in-house concepts work better, whether sandwich bars or pizza counters. Walmart replacing empty Subway restaurants with expanded delis could work (in theory) but they still have a reputation as dirty, smelly stores to contend with.
Walmart delis are terrible. They do have premade sandwiches that aren't great. They would need to up their game for an in-store deli with seating.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

As a read this thread I continue to wonder where the need is for any sort of dining option inside Walmart. People don't "spend the day" at Walmart anymore like they did in the past. If you were there for a while you might want to stop and eat. The trend in recent years is to get what you need and get out. Most Walmart stores have dining options surrounding the stores if people want them. But Walmart wants to keep you in the store as long as they can. I agree with Babs that some sort of coffee shop concept that would provide items you could take with you while you shop might work the best. I didn't know Walmart had even tested anything along these lines. I don't want a full meal at Walmart and not from their deli either. I don't think I'm alone because the delis at the Supercenters near me are deserted despite offering friend chicken and pre-made sandwiches. So are the in store restaurants too - and this isn't just a pandemic thing. The only people I see/have seen in them are seniors who need a break from walking around and Walmart employees. And neither group seems to be eating much.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

babs wrote: April 11th, 2021, 6:38 pm Walmart delis are terrible. They do have premade sandwiches that aren't great. They would need to up their game for an in-store deli with seating.
Yep, Walmart deli pizzas are garbage, and taste worse than a Red Baron microwave pizza.
They should just brand their deli options as "Great Value", because it makes much more sense.

One Walmart in my area (in Oceanside) has replaced it's McDonald's with a Burger King.
The one closest to my house (in Vista) has no restaurant.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 12:22 pm
babs wrote: April 11th, 2021, 6:38 pm Walmart delis are terrible. They do have premade sandwiches that aren't great. They would need to up their game for an in-store deli with seating.
Yep, Walmart deli pizzas are garbage, and taste worse than a Red Baron microwave pizza.
They should just brand their deli options as "Great Value", because it makes much more sense.

One Walmart in my area (in Oceanside) has replaced it's McDonald's with a Burger King.
The one closest to my house (in Vista) has no restaurant.
I thought the Wal Mart pizza tasted better than the Kroger Pizza. The entire Kroger Deli Take and Bake Pizza was just bad. Conversely if you find a Kroger that cooks pizza in the deli that pizza is pretty good. On the Wal Mart Pizza, the cheese/sauce/toppings were sort of okay but crust basically inedible. I am surprised what a large assortment of Take and Bake Pizzas Wal Mart continues to support and maintain given the quality on them. People seem to buy them as I only see a handfull marked down every day.

I'm not sure Wal Mart's premade sandwiches are any worse than the average premade plastic clamshell sandwich... but the price point is on the high side given the venue. WinCo sells pre made sandwiches for 1.98. Wal Mart's price point is much higher.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 12th, 2021, 11:56 pm Conversely if you find a Kroger that cooks pizza in the deli that pizza is pretty good. On the Wal Mart Pizza, the cheese/sauce/toppings were sort of okay but crust basically inedible. I am surprised what a large assortment of Take and Bake Pizzas Wal Mart continues to support and maintain given the quality on them. People seem to buy them as I only see a handfull marked down every day.

I'm not sure Wal Mart's premade sandwiches are any worse than the average premade plastic clamshell sandwich... but the price point is on the high side given the venue. WinCo sells pre made sandwiches for 1.98. Wal Mart's price point is much higher.
The Walmart pizza I had was actually cooked in their deli, not premade. That pizza was Pizza Hut level terrible.

Expanding on your point of WM deli sandwiches; I now wonder what the point is of having a Subway in Walmart, when they have a deli that offers sandwiches with the same level of poor quality.
Overall, I consider Subway to be the definite "rock bottom" fast food place in terms of quality, cleanliness, and service. I haven't had anything from Subway in at least 9 years, and I'm not missing much.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:52 am I'm not sure Wal Mart's premade sandwiches are any worse than the average premade plastic clamshell sandwich... but the price point is on the high side given the venue. WinCo sells pre made sandwiches for 1.98. Wal Mart's price point is much higher.
The Walmart pizza I had was actually cooked in their deli, not premade. That pizza was Pizza Hut level terrible.

Expanding on your point of WM deli sandwiches; I now wonder what the point is of having a Subway in Walmart, when they have a deli that offers sandwiches with the same level of poor quality.
Overall, I consider Subway to be the definite "rock bottom" fast food place in terms of quality, cleanliness, and service. I haven't had anything from Subway in at least 9 years, and I'm not missing much.
[/quote]

Other than cookies and some iced tea, I haven't consumed a sandwich from Subway in much more than 9 years. I came close perhaps two years ago but walked into the shop and didn't like what I saw so I walked out without purchasing. A lot of Subways have closed. Maybe they will get better as they continue to remove the bad locations from their network. I am just not sure if there are enough good ones... for that to happen.

Oh- I've seen Wal Mart with cooked pizza in the service deli. It was at a Neighborhood Market in Bentonville. I didn't realize that concept went beyond Bentonville. I just assumed Wal Mart was using the same hot pizza program as Sam's Club and decided to throw it into a location in Bentonville. Sam's Club pizza isn't very good, it reminds me of a bad Domino's Pizza from the 90's (current Domino's is better than that). I'd call it better than the typical Pizza Hut though.