Theft, Shoplifting, etc.

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Theft, Shoplifting, etc.

Post by buckguy »

Catalog stores started out filling niches that other stores missed like year round toy selections or comprehensive small appliance or camera selections. A lot of them also started with discounted jewelry and higher end gifts---high margin merchandise where you had to manage a lot of SKUs, but didn't always need brand names. They also started out in often odd, low rent locations and then moved into the 'burbs in fringe-ish locations---standalone or maybe a big community shopping center if had been eclipsed by a new mall and had significant vacancies. Over time, they branched into other lines and, toward the end, some stores like Service Merchandise were more like a regular discounter. They also lost a lot of their niches to big box stores and the consolidation of brands in the appliance field. Ultimately, the model only works for a limited assortment of things and a lot of the items that fit are essentially commodities now, like small appliances and electronics. Online shopping with curbside is kindof an updated version of this, but without the high high touch showroom.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Speaking of Walmart and locked cases, I was looking for a tiny automotive light bulb and found out Walmart has them locked up now! Not that it mattered, because despite the app saying they were In Stock, none of the size that I needed were in the case, and I even went to another nearby Walmart and same thing! I gave up (as I refuse to pay the insane price at an auto parts store) and ended up ordering LED versions instead off ebay for less money.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The problem is that Walmart's computers do not take into account items that are stolen. The computer says you still have 5 light bulbs in the store, and the computer won't order any more until it shows all 5 have been sold. It is a lose lose situation.

Also, I noticed that the famous Target in Walnut Creek, California that was looted has received steel doors. When the store closes, steel garage doors seal off the store. The place is a fortress now. They are also building some kind of steel structure in front of the building. Perhaps it is to stop cars from ramming the store.

I have also seen the new steel doors at some Walmart stores that were looted.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on June 29th, 2021, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: June 28th, 2021, 6:07 pm Speaking of Walmart and locked cases, I was looking for a tiny automotive light bulb and found out Walmart has them locked up now! Not that it mattered, because despite the app saying they were In Stock, none of the size that I needed were in the case, and I even went to another nearby Walmart and same thing! I gave up (as I refuse to pay the insane price at an auto parts store) and ended up ordering LED versions instead off ebay for less money.
Did you check the overstock on the top shelf? The Wal Mart in South Reno in Damonte Ranch Parkway has assorted locked cases around the beauty area (hair appliances, shave, etc.), baby area (formula) and the hardware department (not only tools but also various other hardware items) and they still keep overstock on the top shelves for the very items that are in the big locking cases. Place feels like a hood store now with what they have done. Some interesting management decisions there at that location. They have more locked up than the stores in bad neighborhoods elsewhere in Reno.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: June 28th, 2021, 10:25 pm
mbz321 wrote: June 28th, 2021, 6:07 pm Speaking of Walmart and locked cases, I was looking for a tiny automotive light bulb and found out Walmart has them locked up now! Not that it mattered, because despite the app saying they were In Stock, none of the size that I needed were in the case, and I even went to another nearby Walmart and same thing! I gave up (as I refuse to pay the insane price at an auto parts store) and ended up ordering LED versions instead off ebay for less money.
Did you check the overstock on the top shelf?
Oh yeah, I poked around on the top shelves in and around that aisle, but I didn't see anything unfortunately.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have found that the independent non-chain parts stores generally have better pricing on small items like bulbs. And as far as LED bulbs go....there is a HUGE variation in quality on no-name stuff found online, some of which causes problems with newer cars and electronic flashers as well as daytime running lights. Walmart in particular seems to not have the best prices in their automotive section as of late, in fact, some of the original equipment oil filters they carry are less expensive at the dealership in some instances. And I have heard that it is very difficult to get a battery warranty in a Walmart that does not have an auto center.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

When Wallyworld first "invaded" my area in 1992, you couldn't beat them on anything price-wise. They were the low price leader by a lot. Here we are almost thirty years later and while they still have lower prices it's only by a penny or two on most items. If savings are significant people will put up with a lot to get better prices but to put up with the crowds and their attitude that every customer is a potential shoplifter to save almost nothing just isn't worth it.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Super S wrote: June 29th, 2021, 8:14 am
I have found that the independent non-chain parts stores generally have better pricing on small items like bulbs. And as far as LED bulbs go....there is a HUGE variation in quality on no-name stuff found online, some of which causes problems with newer cars and electronic flashers as well as daytime running lights. Walmart in particular seems to not have the best prices in their automotive section as of late, in fact, some of the original equipment oil filters they carry are less expensive at the dealership in some instances. And I have heard that it is very difficult to get a battery warranty in a Walmart that does not have an auto center.
Yeah, previously I needed one tiny bulb to replace my burnt out gearshift light and I was able to buy a single bulb at NAPA for less than $2. Not so much with the size I need now though. I'll take a gamble on the ebay LED's and see if they hold up. I usually end up getting oil filters at Walmart, but I'm cheap so the SuperTech ones work just fine for me (they have a new line now that is rated for 20k and like $5 a filter). I was getting my motor oil there too but the Kirkland branded version at Costco (same oil as the SuperTech) is slightly cheaper when you buy it in a 2 pack.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: June 29th, 2021, 9:33 am When Wallyworld first "invaded" my area in 1992, you couldn't beat them on anything price-wise. They were the low price leader by a lot. Here we are almost thirty years later and while they still have lower prices it's only by a penny or two on most items. If savings are significant people will put up with a lot to get better prices but to put up with the crowds and their attitude that every customer is a potential shoplifter to save almost nothing just isn't worth it.
I think this depends a lot on the category. Wal Mart is still cheaper on a lot of office supply type items than office supply chains (but more expensive than Dollar Tree), cheaper on the auto category in a lot of cases, far cheaper in drug (and that includes against the drug chain sale prices- unless you play the coupons and Extra Bucks game at CVS/coupons and Bonus Cash game at Rite Aid), cheaper in hardware, cheaper in pet, but I think there are some trade offs in quality of product in some cases. On soft goods, kitchen goods, etc. the comparison is a bit more difficult with almost everything private label, as competition is more promotional and it is not unusual for sales at competition to beat Wal Mart's pricing. Same goes across the entire grocery category.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: June 29th, 2021, 8:11 pm I think this depends a lot on the category. Wal Mart is still far cheaper in drug (and that includes against the drug chain sale prices- unless you play the coupons and Extra Bucks game at CVS/coupons and Bonus Cash game at Rite Aid.
Not surprising given that most of the drug items are cheaper in the supermarkets (and that even includes some things with sales, where a B1G1F at CVS can still be more than 2 regular price in the market across the street).